• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me find a driver

Agree with Dut - Leopard. Also try a Cheetah or Sabre. The Sabre may be a little shorter, but makes up for that with real consistent line. I'd rather have an extra 15-20' to throw if a Sabre would give me a straighter line to the basket.

I'd go with the Star TL. I can throw that thing as far as my faster drivers and a whole lot more accurate. I use my other driver still from time to time just in case I rip a good one that would give me more distance, otherwise I think I would use my TL all the time. That is of course until I threw my TL into a lake this past weekend. I am hoping they find it when they go diving though.

i like the TL as well but the two ive had were less than maxweight and one was beat up so they turned a little more than my 175jls but i think a 175TL and 175jls are probally about the same so either one in the weight u like would work. also the star eagle is not bad but is really more of a situational disc

The XL is the way to go. Pro-D is the best one. I look for misprint and used ones, and stock up whenver i can bc I keep losing them.

All I could ever do with my XL (Elite Z, 167g) is flip it HARD right. If I want to throw straight I usually throw a Leopard or a Sidewinder.

I'm a little late to the party but I know quite a few players of different arm speeds, including myself, who use a Discraft Xpress in Elite-X plastic for tight driving holes.

I like the TL with a little hyzer if I'm going to throw a hard tunnel shot. It turns over slightly for me.

it is not negativity, it is the truth,...there are so many options and what works for you isn't necessarily going to work for the next guy..that's all i am saying...imagine someone starting a thread over their favorite color plastic...you would get many different answers that just basically give a new player too many options

80 is correct. I don't have a young arm anymore, and I cannot throw a Surge or Beast like the book says they ought to go. However, I can throw them further than I can throw anything else in my bag, and I know how the discs will behave for me, so I go with them.

Why doesn't it work for me?

Anytime a buddy of mine (or me for that matter) is looking for a new disc, I tell them that the next time we are out playing, they should throw my discs and our other friends' discs. Between us, I think me and my friends have most of the innova and discraft discs, so I tell them to try them out and see what sticks.

If that is not an option for you, then I would recommend starting with a pro leopard or star TL, if you are into innova. The Leopard is nice, because thrown at medium power it goes very straight for about 250, then fades a little left at the end. If you throw it a little harder, it will slowly turn over, and you can really rip into it with a hyzer flip for some good distance (I can usually get it out past 330 ft when thrown this way)

The TL lacks the high speed turn of a leopard (i.e. will not turn over as easily), which allows you to put more on it and have it still go straight. If you have the power I would start with the TL, but I do not think anyone can be disappointed with a pro leopard.

For full discloser, I mainly throw innova drivers and discraft approaches, so my recommendations are bias towards innova in this post.

Latest posts