• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Help me identify the proper term?

Some Tosser

Bogey Member
What do they call the part of the disc on the bottom that adds low speed fade to the disc? Discs designed to fade have pronounced ones and straight discs have smaller to none.

Well the first part of your question makes no sense, but from the second part I'm going to have to say your talking about a "BEAD"

The design of the whole disc in general can add low speed fade there's plenty of beadless over stable discs. But ya I would assume he's asking about a bead.

So it's just coincidence that stuff with lots of low speed fade has a big bead and discs with very little low speed fade have none? In midranges and putters anyway. I can't think of a single disc with a 0 low speed fade rating with a bead on it They definitely seem related?
Why not bead up on all those stable to under stable mids to help with wear?

Most manufacturers want to keep their stable discs as stable as possible for as long as possible. It's just a guess but, IMO most "understable" discs usually start out slightly stable so it's ideal for them to break in a little faster. Differences in wing shape and PLH will attribute to stability more than any bead.

To the OP the Discraft Comet is a great example of a disc with a big bead that has very little/practically zero LSS. I believe they leave beads off discs for a different feel in the hand and it does change the flight characteristics of the disc (although it may not add stability/turn/speed etc.).

So it's just coincidence that stuff with lots of low speed fade has a big bead and discs with very little low speed fade have none? In midranges and putters anyway. I can't think of a single disc with a 0 low speed fade rating with a bead on it They definitely seem related?
Why not bead up on all those stable to under stable mids to help with wear?

Ever heard of a Judge before? It has a bead and doesn't fade AT ALL.

100th post by the way. (not that anyone should care)

So... let me ask maybe a dumb question.
What is the portion from where you place your fingers to the outermost portion of the disc? Some discs say like a Katana have a longer (wider) part and others like say (Magnet) have virtually none? Is that portion called a bead? Or is it maybe a wing?
Not trying to hyjack this thread but just trying to clarify the terminology.
Thanks

So... let me ask maybe a dumb question.
What is the portion from where you place your fingers to the outermost portion of the disc? Some discs say like a Katana have a longer (wider) part and others like say (Magnet) have virtually none? Is that portion called a bead? Or is it maybe a wing?
Not trying to hyjack this thread but just trying to clarify the terminology.
Thanks

Pretty sure that's referred to as the wing. I could be wrong.

100th post by the way. (not that anyone should care)

I look at how many posts you have, how long you've been playing, how many courses you've played, and when you joined DGCR. If you've got a 1000+ posts, have been playing for less than a year, have played less than 5 courses, and joined this cite a few months ago. I assume you don't know what you're talking about if I don't agree, you're probably just regurgitating something you've read on the interwebs if I do agree, and most likely you don't know how far 400' really is :D
I'm guessing the OP is referring to the bead, where the disc contacts when flat on the ground stamp up. I agree that PLH, where the top and bottom mold pieces meet determines much of a discs stability when comparing discs especially of the same mold. I also agree that the bottom wing shape/height can greatly effect stability like the more rounded eagle-L wing makes for a less overstable flight compared to the more beveled eagle-x bottom wing or how the beast has a smoother straighter bottom wing compared to the more angled orc bottom wing.

I learned a lot on here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17397