• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me learn to actually drive

notapro

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Making a new thread for my garbage... trying to get away from strong arming of course.

It is very tough.

If the disc is slipping out you are accelerating too early. You need to get that elbow out and the disc into your armpit(or close to it). The motion to get the elbow out is accomplished with hips and a little guidance from the upper arm. The forearm remains relatively loose(enough to keep disc orientation).

Go slow. Concentrate on getting that elbow out with no help from the forearm.

When you feel the weight of the disc(You'll feel the disc almost wagging back - this is your wrist cocking). Pull with the shoulder. Then with the arm.

That makes sense. When I was intentionally strong arming it, I started really pulling hard pretty early in the throw. Probably kept the same timing when trying to get the arm whip going.

I'll have to get some more field practice, but rain is in the forecast... at least my arm will have a chance to recover from a long weekend of playing.

I'm not sure what the ? is here. But if you are trying to get away from strong arming, do some extensive fieldwork with your putters and/or a stable (neutral) midrange like a Comet or Fuse. Smooth and steady, that's how she goes.

i keep rereading... and i'm confused on the post...

but thanks for summing up a whole thread about fixing your own technique
that sounds like a good "visual description) to go by

but...
was there a question in all that?

What does Marcellus Wallce look like? Do they speak English on What?

He was taking from the thread he no longer wanted to thread jack, apparently no one was following that thread.

And that is the tough part... :wall:

I saw earlier in this thread you asked the OP if the discs comes out early a lot; that has been happening to me. Do you know how to prevent this, and/or what is causing that? Definitely happens more when I try to stay loose, of course.

This is often evidence of strong arming, and most importantly timing. Both in your throw, and grip timing. The thing you posted about strong arming through the pec drill in the other thread, really makes me think you're not utilizing the body motions at all, especially with the way you described having early ejections. What you have to remember that until the disc is accelerated out of the pec area by the arm, everything comes from inertia from your rotating body. So that you can take the inertia from your rotations and add to them by accelerating your arm from the pec. The disc moving before is just a result of body positioning, the disc rotating around you, being the axis. Until the arm is accelerated the disc is just rotating around you, then you pull it from that inertia, accelerating it and adding it's rotation generating a whip effect uncoiling of the arm. I wrote a large portion on how body positioning allows the disc to come into the pec area, and the mechanics that take effect afterwards.

Lithicon said:
Basically when you go into your X step, you reach back. This puts your shoulders facing roughly 180* from the target. It all starts coming out of the X step; the final step starts your rotation out; (Plant foot). As you start to rotate, through body positions, as you're not actually moving your arm yet, the disc is somewhere around your left shoulder. Now, once everything rotates around and your chest is roughly 90* from the target you have a slight pause in your chest, and at this point you "close" your wrist pulling the disc toward your forearm. This puts the disc directly at the center of your chest, (DON'T PULL YET!)
Now during this pause after you close your wrist, you finish rotating your right shoulder. IF you closed your wrist, the disc has no choice but to be "tucked" into the right pec; your right elbow should be pointing at the target. Achieved my rotating your shoulders to line up with your chest. ALL this was achieved by nothing but body positioning, and you should have exerted no force with your arm at all.

Since all this is happening in a split second, it's easy to take body positioning out of the equation and just pull it through with your arm, as that's what feels natural, but that's why you lose power.

This is where the "right pec drill" comes in, as everything from this point after doing the drill should feel 100% natural if you've done the drill long enough. As this tucked feel; with ALL the acceleration from your forearm comes AT THIS POINT OUT. As if you're doing the right pec drill, so that the forearm slings out. The wrist opens to neutral; (Straight with your forearm) due to inertia, then you should physically assist the wrist opening to the "full open" position; (past straight with your forearm) and the disc will then be ejected due to the incredible force you just generated. There is more as to how and why the disc actually leaves your hand, but I won't discuss that right now. But, the split second the disc leaves your hand, you go into the follow through; the arm goes right, and the chest is then pulled to face the target.

So, to recap, everything leading up to getting the disc tucked into your right pec is ALL body positioning and you don't really use any muscles from your arm to "pull" the disc into the pec. THEN, the acceleration gained by your forearm, coupled with the inertia of your body rotating, generates a "whip" like effect, and propels the disc forward.

Yeah, this was definitely a continuation/relocation of a thread jack. I was being a real jerk, I think, and figured I had to make my own thread.

I've played almost 7 years using OAT to hyzer flip dx cobras, and put huge anhyzers on dx beasts. Now I am trying to learn how to do things the "right" way. It is going to take a lot of help from you guys and gals...

I tried to pick up tidbits and pieces from a bunch of different places, but never made much progress. I've watched the Beato vid a hundred times (among others), but never really grasped what he was doing, physically. I would say the early release was my biggest issue when I tried to abandon the strong arm. I tried a couple of dry throws (no disc) for a bit yesterday, and felt like I could separate what I was doing, and what I should be doing, based on some early release advice... I'll find out this weekend...

Thanks for the help so far, it is going to be a long summer!:hfive:

Latest posts