• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] HELP ME! Need slightly longer & slightly stable control driver. Winner gets STUFF!

My first thought would be a Champion Valkyrie.

My bolder suggestion would be a Pro Wraith a few grams lighter than you normally throw. It doesn't feel like an 11 speed in the hand, and it is pretty easy to control with a ton of glide.

Saint is what I would recommend for the river.

Stalker honestly can't say. When I wanted more stability just threw ti version. Good luck to ya.

I would suggest the Millenium JLS. It feels like it would be a fairway driver, but it flies almost as far as my beast. It has a narrow rim like you said you wanted. It is definitely my go to driver on long narrow shots that require a small amount of fade.

This sums up my suggestion. Maybe start with a pinnacle patriot or an icon rival. Fresh, they have about the same HSS, but the pinnacle patriot actually has a bit more fade.

I just recently traded in a bunch of old plastic for some Legacy Fairway drivers; and WOW. I've been very impressed! Though, the ICON plastic has been very inconsistent thus far.

Fuzion Escape is one of the discs I tried lately that just keeps making me love it. I have come to enjoy the disc more and more for it's combination of beautiful glidey flight, easy distance and repeatable accuracy. I did lose my first one on a bad tree kick (grey color in thick ferns) and had to get another to keep trying out. Definitely a disc I can get alot of distance from without a huge effort, just like the River. Escape seems to fight turn a bit more, is longer, and has more fade than a pair of 176 gram GL Rivers I have that are fairly domey and stable. It flies much further with less effort, maybe a bit more HSS turn, and similar fade for me when compared to the two Ti Stalkers I had. All of the discs I mentioned were in the range of 171-176 grams.

Cheapest, easy access and perfectly describes your desire:
GATEWAY APACHE

Available in great evolution plastic, extremely workable and overall underrated.

For those types of shots I'd use my 175g Champion KC Eagle
Based on the video, you don't use nearly enough power for that to work for you.
Have you tried a Discmania FD? That ought to have positive results for you...

The VIP stag I have is much much closer to a leopard and turns wayyy over and starts to fight back late

I can certainly believe there's flippy ones out there. I have found Euro plastic to be wildly inconsistent, but the Stag I had was a really nice disc. I need to try one in TP.

When I was in your situation a volt is what took the slot for me. Would never play without it, it is now my go-to work horse.

saint is also great. just provided you have no wind. if there is a headwind that thing is gunna turn on you. but in little to no wind its a laser

Star Firebird-L (FL) This is significantly more overstable than the Stalker, handles a headwind very well and powers down beautifully. Again, this may be more overstable than you're looking for with a healthy fade at the end, but if you need a wind-fighter or something with a dependable fade, this disc is a beauty.

Saint Pro: Again more stable than the Stalker when new, very similar to the FL, but lighter weights aren't as stable and they lose quite a bit of stability if you deflash them.

Gold Line Saint: To me this is a bit of a longer River. A tick on the understable side, go heavier opto for more stability. I recommend this disc because it was the first longer driver I could throw well and at a variety of speeds. This disc will power down beautifully.

Fuzion Escape: A tick more stable than the Saint. I prefer Lucid plastic myself or Moonshine for the most stability, but even in Fuzion I found these to be just a hair more stable than the Saint. This is a strong contender to best fit what you're looking for. It's like a longer Stalker in my book and can handle lower power as well.

Neutron Volt: Probably my second favorite disc after the Escape. Very similar. A little turn, a little fade, a lot of glide. Handles powering down. Very useful for a bunch of lines.

Top recommendations: Escape or Volt, depending on which feels the best for you. If you want something with more stability, check out the FL.

SPD around 170 is faster and slightly more stable than both of the discs you currently throw.

Join me and throw the Star Sidewinder 175g.
More on the domey side.
Trust me, you'll love it as a powered down player.
It'll take some time to learn but well worth it.

I dropped the Stalker for the Eagle.

Stalker is a great disc. You will probably want to keep it in the bag. Just go with the Eagle when you want more disc.

Have yet to give the Teebird a chance and don't intend to for now.

the Volt would be a fine choice, but I would also second the Star FL recommendation. Its an underrated disc, fairly easy to find and since you already throw a firebird, it might sit well next to it in your bag.

Latest posts