• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me pick a Blizzard/Air driver?

Gennataos

Eagle Member
I'm a 275' thrower, on average, with occassional touches of 300'. I'd like to get my average up to 300'. I recent got a Diamond and really saw how lighter discs can make a big difference. I'm continuing to work on form, of course, but if a light distance driver can get me up to 300' right now, I'll take it while I improve.

I keep reading about folks in my power range who break the 300' barrier with the likes of the Blizzard/Air discs. I've tried some (Boss, Katana, Teedevil), but none of them outperformed my main distance drivers (Valkyrie, Roadrunner @ 168g each). I never gave any of them a real chance on the course, though, only field testing.

So, now I'm reconsidering, but I haven't the foggiest what would be a good disc for me. The Boss was too overstable, the Katana was okay but no further than my Valk and the Teedevil was flippy as hell. The two main discs I've been considering are the Blizzard Wraith and Air King (~150g).

Am I way off the mark? Help a noodle arm out!

Mamba? i'm in the noodle arm club but cant really stand the wide rim stuff .. i would stick with what you got and work from there but if you want easy extra d the Mamba might work.. or so i have heard.. i have one on the way but havent had a chance to throw it.. felt one and rim wasnt as bad as i thought.. also have you thrown a Beast? maybe one in the mid 160's.. have great glide and that might get you some extra d too .. .. oh and if you really want to work on form and such grab some Pro Leos and Comets and go to town throwing those bad boys..

Saint is nice in Opto Air.

I throw a 150gm Mamba, and get at least 20 feet extra over my 155 Valk.

You could also try a Starlite Roadrunner, they get very light indeed. I got a 130gm from the Innova proshop for my wife to try.

Ian & Crowlegs - I have a Champ Mamba (168ish) which I can touch 300 with, but it requires a fair amount of hyzer and as such, I'm inconsistent with it and end up turning it over more than I'd like.

sgamerp - I have a GL Saint (169g) which I just got. I've heard of folks in my power range who have both, and they've found little to no difference in how far they fly. That makes me hesitant to try that...I'm looking for a clear-cut winner over my speed 9 stuff (Valk, Roadrunner and now Saint).

^ I don't think there is one. I would say do field work and get better form.

Don't you have a Diamond Light? Not sure anything will do any better for you. If you are really set on getting one try a really light air saint. I can push mine a good thirty feet farther than the GL Saint but it's a lot more flippy and can't be thrown with any OAT.

160 Teebird.... At your distance you won't really benefit from anything faster.
I appreciate the input, but that's a school of thought which I've found to be flatly false. I've been throwing speed 9 stuff for a while and have seen a marked distance improvement over my Teebird/Leopard combo...all discs in the 168g range.

I give a lot of credence to the recommendation of starting slow and building up from there, but that requires a level of patience which I simply don't possess. I've thought long and hard about going to Comet/Leopard route like ian suggested or at least just stopping with my Teebird/Leopard combo and playing with nothing faster than that for a year, but it's...well, boring.

I have the wherewithal to not want to start throwing superfast/overstable stuff with tons of anny and completely screw up my form. Any magical Blizzard/Air disc I'd get, I'd want to be able to throw it flat and have it fly straight, maybe with some turn, for my added distance. If that magic disc doesn't exist, then I won't get anything.

If the Teedevil was too flippy, stay fair away from an Air King. They are so US it's ridiculous. Not like a Tourney or regular VIP King at all.

A lot of people on here will tell you to stick with fairway drivers or only throw putters for ten years or some other nonsense they heard on these same forums and continue to pass along. However, I will say that speed 13/12 is probably not right for you in Blizzard or any other plastic. Yes, you CAN still use distance drivers and they may indeed add distance to your game. But control is more important. I'm not telling you not to throw distance drivers, just something to keep in mind. In the end this game is all about fun and one of my pet peeves is posters telling new players to throw only putters or mids or some other lameness. Turns the game real boring real quick.

On the other hand, a good idea with Blizzard-type technology is to master a heavier weight of that same mold first. It will teach you how the disc acts. Blizz tends to be quite a bit more understable, so if you're adding OAT or any other sort of form flaw to max weight of the same mold, the Blizz versions is going to be absolutley uncontrollable for you.

So, long-winded answer: pick up a DX Wraith or a Champ Krait in the 160-175 range, work with those. If you like them, then maybe try the Blizzard versions. I also recommend keeping the Blizzard int he 148-158 range. Any lighter and they become very hard to throw with any sort of power. Good luck and keep us updated!

every disc golfer should throw 150 teebirds in star or champ at least once in their career. super easy distance and tons of holy crap throws!!!

every disc golfer should throw 150 teebirds in star or champ at least once in their career. super easy distance and tons of holy crap throws!!!

Despite my rant I can also agree with this. I was playing Phantom Falls with my buddy EricBasile and at the time he was throwing Teebirds as his only driver (which is perfect for Phantom, FYI). He ripped one on the longest hole there, a downhill shot about 320 or so and I swear his 150 Teebird went around 400 feet. One of the wildest throws I've ever seen.

To the OP: keep in mind the dirvers you are currently throwing are all available in 150 class, either in DX, Champ or Star. If your local shop has any 150 Valks, give them a shot too.

But I reccomend getting lighter weight DX before jumping into Blizzard for one reason and one reason only...that shizz is cheap, son!

AndyJB - Thanks! While I agree that starting slow in the first few months is a good idea, after a while I think everyone can branch out into the faster fairway stuff.

sidewinder22 - I'm mostly a LHBH thrower, which is how I'd be throwing any new driver.

MrGlass01 - I have a fairly seasoned 168g Champ Teebird now. I throw it in the 250'-270' range on average with no turn unless thrown into a 10+mph headwind. How would a 150g Champ or Star fly in comparison?

I have about the same power..275-300 on a good day. Air King just made my bag. Grabbed an orange 151g and it flies exactly as advertised for me. Not flippy at all. Picking up a yellow in the same weight....hopefully it will be the same.

AndyJB - Thanks! While I agree that starting slow in the first few months is a good idea, after a while I think everyone can branch out into the faster fairway stuff.

sidewinder22 - I'm mostly a LHBH thrower, which is how I'd be throwing any new driver.

MrGlass01 - I have a fairly seasoned 168g Champ Teebird now. I throw it in the 250'-270' range on average with no turn unless thrown into a 10+mph headwind. How would a 150g Champ or Star fly in comparison?
brand new about the same. you have to back off it a little bit, but it will go. In a headwind it will hold the line but may get pushed around a little. I went 150 for a few weeks last year and the 150 star tee bird is still bagged. I use it when i have no room for a run up or if i am getting tired towards the end of the round. For real grab one in star and thank me later!!!

Latest posts