• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Help me to utilize 2 innova skillshot baskets for "horseshoe-like" game

Dan-hyzer

Bogey Member
Hey DG'ers,

My lovely wife surprised me on the morning of my birthday with an innova skillshot portable basket. After playing with it for about an hour, she surprised me with a second skillshot basket! W00t! What a wife, huh!?

Anyways, it's been the best tool I've ever had for improving my putting. In about a week, I've gone from being about 60% from 20' to being above 90%. My wife had another idea and that was to use the two baskets similar to horseshoe pits. Well that might be a tad easier said than done, but I just love the concept. I'm planning to order 8 of the same putters, four in one color and four in a second color.

My problem is to create rules for this "horsehoe-like" game. Sinking a shot in the basket is easy to correlate to a "ringer" in horsehoes. The sticking point is what DG analog(s) to correlate to a horseshoe "leaner" and a horseshoe "close-enough for one point".

I've also played a game with beanbags called "cornhole." In that game, getting the bag in the hole is 3 points and getting it on the board is one point.

So I was thinking of cutting up some old garden hose and using a garden-hose repair coupler to make circles of a particular diameter to place the portable baskets within. If the disc misses the basket but lands within the circle, it would be worth one point.

Anyways, before I re-invent the wheel, I thought I would ask you hard-core DG'ers out there if this issue already has a solution.

We've played a modified version of H-O-R-S-E with the baskets. It just takes so long to finish a game. So we changed it to P-I-G but it still takes a long time.

Regardless, I've noticed just how fast putting skills improve just by all the repetition. As long as the repetition is in the context of a little game like Horseshoes, Cornhole, or P-I-G, it hardly seems like it's boring time spent putting ad-nauseum.

I just need rules to make this a faster and more enjoyable game.

Any and All ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dan-Hyzer

the rules as I remember them are the baskets are 30' apart. made putt is 3, chains but out is 2, metal is 1...
and I would guess 2 putters per turn.

I learned a variation of HORSE from Dave Feldberg that works pretty well. First you set up a rotation between all the players involved. Player one chooses their spot and takes 3 putts from that position. Then the rotation of players all take 3 putts from the same spot. Whoever makes the most sets the bar. Let's say player one makes all 3. For each putt less than 3 that each other player makes they get a letter. (as this racks up letters faster than horse you can choose a longer word, we played MEMORIAL). After all players have gone and racked up letters Player 2 then chooses their spot and takes 3 putts regardless of their current letter total. You keep his process up until all players but the winner are eliminated.

Make sense?

the rules as I remember them are the baskets are 30' apart. made putt is 3, chains but out is 2, metal is 1...

I play exactly this^^^ except about 50ft out. And it has a few trees in between baskets so you get to throw straight hyzer and annys. It really helps when you find yourself in a tournament round and got a nice anny line youve been playing all week

I learned a variation of HORSE from Dave Feldberg that works pretty well. First you set up a rotation between all the players involved. Player one chooses their spot and takes 3 putts from that position. Then the rotation of players all take 3 putts from the same spot. Whoever makes the most sets the bar. Let's say player one makes all 3. For each putt less than 3 that each other player makes they get a letter. (as this racks up letters faster than horse you can choose a longer word, we played MEMORIAL). After all players have gone and racked up letters Player 2 then chooses their spot and takes 3 putts regardless of their current letter total. You keep his process up until all players but the winner are eliminated.

Make sense?

I like the traditional style of playing HORSE because it encourages challenging shots. This would encourage players to stick to what they are confident in rather than pushing the boundaries and trying crazier shots.

I like the traditional style of playing HORSE because it encourages challenging shots. This would encourage players to stick to what they are confident in rather than pushing the boundaries and trying crazier shots.

We were playing HORSE in Sloppydisc's backyard one night, taking shots from the upstairs deck, his kid's swingset, all over the place. It was fun!:thmbup:

I've tried horseshoes with 3 points for the made putt, 1 point for metal basket and higher only, and 1 point if your partner makes your missed shot from where it landed. Teams of 2 1 member on each side just like horseshoes. Set the distance to the skill level of the players. Play to 21 games go pretty fast as not too many missed 2nd putts for 1 point each. This let you practice the longer putts and make those short ones become 2nd nature.

Yeah I play a game with a skillshot. We play where you shoot from wherever you want, and winner of the round chooses new spot (like HORSE) but same rules will apply

Yes
1) 3pts sink a putt
2) 2pts for hitting 'chains'
3) 1 pt for hitting the lip of the basket or the top
4) -1 pt for hitting the poles on the bottom (a low putt never had a chance and therefore is worth -1 to make the game a little interesting
5) 1st player to 21 exactly....So sometimes using the -1 will be to a players advantage.

I think thats good

But having circles to designate the other points, thats cool too...whatever works. But the rules i put up are the way I play. its good:hfive:

I would go with something like Thomas said ^^^

And i would only and i would only add the rings around it if you are extremely far away where its a tough putt and getting close would be acceptable in a tourny round

"Huck Plastic" came over last night and we tried out some of these rules. The one that we liked the best was 3 pts for a made putt, 2 points for hitting the chains first but not sinking putt (not skipping up from the lip of the basket), and -1 pt for hitting any other part of the basket.

We started and quickly dropped to about -8. LOL! Then once you start sinking some putts, you're in positive territory quickly. I ended up hitting 22 pts and I had to throw one low shot at the post, which I hit, and that gave me 21 exactly for the win.

Beautiful game and awesome rules. We played like horse as far as where to shoot from. It was crappy weather so we only set up one basket outside at night by the porch light. Can't wait to set two baskets up and have more people over to make it a team game.

Dan-Hyzer

Latest posts