• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Help me understand this firebird!

joshuajames

Double Eagle Member
So here is my query.....

I use an old dx firebird for lots of shots (tomahawks, RHFH, and sometimes a thumber)

Love that disc!

Decided to purchase a Star Firebird in the same weight and these discs are amazingly different. The shapes "appear" to not even compare at all.

I do know the Star needs to get beat a bit, but will it ever really fly like my old dx?

Should I just go buy a ton of dx firebirds and keep rotating?

Suggestions...

It's possible that your DX is the FL mold. The Star is always the FX mold as far as I know. Compare your DX Firebird to the Star FL and see if they match up.

It's possible that your DX is the FL mold. The Star is always the FX mold as far as I know. Compare your DX Firebird to the Star FL and see if they match up.

I do have a star FL and I will check that. But just remembering my DX seems waaaay flatter though.

Are you talking about just the dome, or do they fly a lot different? If so, DX beats in a lot quicker and your Star disc is probably a lot beefier than it out of the box.

The shape of the firebird just varies a lot from run to run. Some of those DX Firebirds can even develop a puddle top after years of abuse while new Champ/Star Firebirds can have a pretty big dome or be flat as a pancake. Even a new DX will fly much differently than your old standby though.

if you want something closer to your DX I would recommend a pro firebird. It is actually the 'L' mold and will eventually beat in to what the DX is like. A regular Firebird ('X' mold) will take a LOT of abuse to get to that point.

if you want something closer to your DX I would recommend a pro firebird. It is actually the 'L' mold and will eventually beat in to what the DX is like. A regular Firebird ('X' mold) will take a LOT of abuse to get to that point.

i've never heard this, and always wanted to try an FL. what are they like in pro plastic? beat in pretty straight?

if youve been throwing overhand shots with it, it isn't even really a firebird anymore. overhand transforms dx plastic very very quickly.

Interesting...

It seems to have the same flight characteristics as when it was new. I have noticed in the last time or two out, the old trusty DX has had little to no fade back right ( thrown RHFH). Could this be from the Overhand abuse?

i feel FB are some of those disc that differ greatly from each individual piece of plastic. it doesnt matter same mold, plastic, whatever, they are all unique. Id say let it form to your throw or vice versa, and itll be your best friend. At some point you will break it down to be really understable, but, like you said, itll still be different than your dx..

i've never heard this, and always wanted to try an FL. what are they like in pro plastic? beat in pretty straight?

the disc says 'pro firebird' but it is indeed the FL. They are kind of like a longer Eagle-X. They will do a nice S-curve - good amount of high speed turn but they will always come back and finish a little left (RHBH).

Alright, this question is for all you mold/plastic/flight gurus out there.

What do you think would be similar (flight characteristics) to a flat, slightly beat DX firebird? (But better plastic!)

You the bomb DGCR peeps!

Alright, this question is for all you mold/plastic/flight gurus out there.

What do you think would be similar (flight characteristics) to a flat, slightly beat DX firebird? (But better plastic!)

You the bomb DGCR peeps!

my 2 cents? 170ish star starfire. still fades hard, but it's a long fade.

it really is going to depend a lot on how you throw but that's my guess

star starfire will be too low speed/high speed stable.

I would say a lighter pro starfire (SL mold). It will have more high speed turn and less low speed fade.

If you want to cross realms into discraft, try a Z Avenger. Somewhat beefy out of the box but beats to straight relatively quickly.

Innova wise I agree on the starfire or SL

Never tried the Roadrunner or an Avenger. Between those two which would be the straightest using a slightly lower speed FB toss?

The Avenger will be more consistent FH. Get one in Z plastic.

Star Roadrunners are sneaky long discs too. They are a bit on the understable side and will lose predictability FH way faster than a Z Avenger.

Latest posts