• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me Understand What My Teebird '"Hyzer Issue" Means

JBurke297

Hey guys,

Recently took the advice of members from this site and sold off all my high speed drivers for FD's to better my game. BEST THING I EVER DID in my 2 years of playing DG.

I have a Star TL at 165 g I max out at 300' and absolutely love to throw. I've never had both accuracy and consistency from my drives like I can get from this disc. However, I occasionally flip over my TL off RHBH drives when I really try to get into it 100%. Therefore, I recently purchased a 167 g Star Teebird thinking more stability would help solve this issue. Further, I know how much the Teebird is worshiped by the DG community for it's straight lines and gentle fades. But after spending multiple days throwing my new Teebird in a field, I simply can't throw this anywhere near as straight or long as my Star TL in similar weight. I'd say for about 1/3 of my Teebird's drive she actually goes straight. Then after 75-100' the Teebird takes on a HARD Hyzer and bombs into the ground and I can't seem to figure out why ... :wall:

One clue I've picked up on is that when I FH the Teebird my "Hyzer Issue" is almost nonexistent. She flies straight as an arrow (with some decent high speed Turn at times, which is NEVER present in my BH) and the Fade at the end is significantly less dramatic. This observation makes me think that my 'snap' in BH drives is the culprit but, since I'm still very new to the sport, figured I would tap on the community for an assessment / advice.

Further, I utilize the standard 4 finger power grip, focus on releasing my drives with slight down nose angle, bring my BH drives across my chest, and always follow through.

Thank you for any opinions as I understand without videos an accurate assessment may be difficult. Also, if you feel 'snap' is the culprit, how may I work on improving this aspect of my drives?

9 times out of 10 when I "really try to get into it" I roll my wrist and flip whatever I'm throwing like you do with your tl. Keep it smooth regardless of how far your tryin to throw it.

Often times guys posting about the almighty bird have a pretty decent arm so it sounds like a Leo but don't mistake it for anything less than what it is, a stable driver. My experience with star birds has them slightly more stable than their champ counterparts. But its not overstable so when you really torque on one with your fh drive its easier to get up to speed and straighten out. Once you get closer to the 350' range your teebird will start flying those beautiful straight lines :)

How high is the disc lifting off of the ground when you throw? Your snap very may well be the culprit, but keep in mind that the teebird is meant to fade more than the TL.

Now that you mention height: I do notice that the Teebird 7/10 is climbing up off my drives to about 15-20' off the ground. I sometimes notice this with my TL but I'd say about 4/10 drives. However, the TL seems to be less affected by height than my Teebird in terms of flight path.

Now that you mention height: I do notice that the Teebird 7/10 is climbing up off my drives to about 15-20' off the ground. I sometimes notice this with my TL but I'd say about 4/10 drives. However, the TL seems to be less affected by height than my Teebird in terms of flight path.

That could be a huge part. Try messing around with different nose angles and see if that helps. Teebirds really like to fade out pretty hard if they get too high.

Is your TL flipping from clean power or from oat...and how beat up is it? It's not uncommon for a Teebird to fly shorter, especially if your power level is just touching what is needed for the speed rating and/or not quite enough for a higher speed rating. Teebird is a mildly overstable driver - quite resistant to turn unless it's oat'ed or really beat up. So that's what they do...straight with no turn and some fade. They don't get that "legendary" super straight flight until they're overpowered quite a bit (or beaten in to reduce the lss). Given what you said about the differences when forehanding it, and a little about high flights (nose angle release/form issues), I think you're just seeing a big difference between the spin rate vs. power imparted to the disc, with differing but related issues with oat and nose angle between fore- and backhand throws.

If you're maxing the TL at 300' then you're just beginning to get it up to speed. Keep working on form and it'll go further without flipping as much, and at the same time you'll start seeing longer flights from the Teebird. Don't let it be humbing, just keep working on it. Make full use of the technique stickies & videos here and on DGR...and threads like this. :)

300' of power is on the lowish side for getting a new Star Teebird to fly as intended, especially if you aren't really getting the nose down. TL's are a bit more forgiving at those distances, especially if it's more beat.

I agree the flipping on 100% drives is probably OAT. When most people go from 80% power to 100% what they really add is OAT rather than actual speed. The simple solution is to just not throw at 100% and spend time learning how to control OAT.

Watched / Read some videos & threads on spin and controlling OAT so I'll just keep at it & hope patience & practice will prevail with time. Thanks all for your input & enjoy this beautiful summer!