• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me with my forehand (see video)

First thing I noticed is that your weight is shifted back instead of forward. This is robbing you of precious power and causing your discs to take off nose up and most likely stall. Your legs are very upright.Try bending your legs more and don't be afraid to really get a strong push off with your R foot(just like a pitcher in baseball). You need to slow your arm down on both the draw back and about the first 2/3 of your forward motion. You only really want to hit it fast once the disc is close to being even with the front of your torso. Even then, focus on getting a sharp wrist snap instead of strong arming it. Remember, you don't have to horse a sidearm throw to get decent distance. The arm motion is simply to build up enough momentum to get a good wrist snap. That's where the magic happens. You may even try throwing with just a one step for the first little while untill you get the timing down. Keep at it.

Last edited:
I agree with everything Buzz said. You have a lot of wasted motion right now. I'd try working without any steps. Just keep your left foot out in front like you would usually have it upon release, and just rock forward concentrating on just your wrist snap. You'll be surprised how far you can throw with just your wrist. You don't need all that action with your arm. You're on your way to improving just by asking for help. Many people miss this step. And, as always, practice, practice, practice...

First thing I noticed is that your weight is shifted back instead of forward.

It feels really awkward to bend my left knee and shift my weight forward like I see others doing. I can never get the right feel to it. I'll keep trying though

Adding from above...your run up does no good it this point, learn a standstill or a one step first then try to add a x-step(yours is not a proper x-step either). You are losing most your power with a reverse pivot. To get your weight forward, try bending your plant leg(left), keep it bent on the follow through and focus on keeping your right elbow closer to the ground at the hit. Lead with the elbow and once the elbow passes your shoulder, snap the disc. Also on the follow through keep your left shoulder higher than your right shoulder and try kicking your right leg behind and holding it back while you follow through instead of stepping around. This helps create more whipping motion.

Make sure you stretch and throw some short FHs and work your way up to full drive distance. Also warm down with shorter FH throws and stretch more after. FH is rougher on the elbow by nature, it is just like pitching in baseball. Pro pitchers hardly throw more than 100 pitches/game and then they rest a couple days. I'd recommend throwing fairway drivers, banshees, teebirds, and TLs to help save your arm. Learning to throw slower discs will help teach proper form faster while giving you more distance with less power.

This video explains a lot:

Biggest thing, weight transfer. In each one, you're in the backseat.

A stand still start will help you feel proper weight transfer.

And the recommendation to go to slower discs is really good advice. I can't tell you how often I go to my Eagle or Banshee over something faster....

Latest posts