• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help needed with disc ID (COTO 2005 CFR)

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Can anyone ID this disc? It's from the 2005 Capital of Texas Open and is made by Innova. That's all the info I have. In one pic I compared the rim size to an 11x Firebird, which it seems to be a little wider than. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 0512001209.jpg
    0512001209.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 0512001210.jpg
    0512001210.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 0512001210a.jpg
    0512001210a.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I would guess it's not a monster only because most CFR discs are rarities. Also, I think the Monster is a little flatter on the wing (no curvature).
Could be a Max (not usually made in Champ) or Starfire X - but I haven't thrown either of those.

How do you know it's a CFR? It could just be a production run with a tourney stamp. Orc, maybe?

Last edited:
They were selling fund raiser discs in 2005, it might be what ever new driver was about by Innova at the time.

I'm guessing Starfire. I designed the other logo that year and I know I got a Starfire with my logo on it.

Thanks guys...and nice sleuthing mattdabs. I'll compare it to a Champ Starfire when I get home, but I'm guessing y'all are right.

Wait. I think the only starfires were Pro plastic though. Looks like the stamps were on the following:

Further sleuthing revealed:
"Yes on the plenty of Innova plastic. In addition to all of our discs from previous tournaments and some stock-stamped discs, we will have custom stamped:"

Champ Sidewinder
Champ Orc
Champ Valkyrie
Pro Starfire
Roc
Aviar

Plus...
Omega Supersoft
Elite Z CryZtal Buzz
Elite Z Buzz
Elite Z CryZtal Challenger
Elite Z Crush
Elite Z Flash
Elite Z Flick
Elite X Wasp

Wait. I think the only starfires were Pro plastic though. Looks like the stamps were on the following:

They did make some "Candy" starfires, but apparently only 25 of them.

----------------------------------
We have Candy Starfires with the hotstamp logo for $25 (in assorted colors/weights).

The fundraiser discs are a big hit so far! 10 of the Glow Orcs are already gone and 6 of the Starfires too (out of only 25 of each kind).

I just e-mailed the guy that was posting the info in that thread and he has already emailed me back, but it only adds to the mystery! He seems to think it's an Orc or Valkyrie. I've thrown the disc a few times and it seemed more overstable than either an Orc and especially a Valk. It actually flies very similar to my Champ Starfire. I have a Pro Orc and a Champ Starfire that I can compare it to at home. If it is an Orc it is the most overstable one I've ever thrown because the disc has absolutely Zero turn to it, which is why I was thinking Starfire was a good answer.

Here's his email:
Hi Joseph,

I think the best I can do is narrow it down a lot. I went back in my files to look and see what the Waterloo Club ordered for that tournament – and I did the ordering so I've still got those files J

We had 2 stamps that year. In the main stamp, we only had one type of disc in champion plastic.

For the secondary stamp, which this one is, we had two types in champion plastic: Orcs and Valkyries.

If you can have someone who knows discs better (I'm not really good at looking at rims and such and telling the difference) then they might be able to check out the disc and distinguish between an Orc and a Valkyrie.

Hope this helps,

Gordon

Last edited:
Since rim width determines speed and the picture you posted obviously shows that the disc has a rim width bigger than a Firebird, which is a speed 9 disc, then it has to be an Orc.

See Post 5 ;)

Yeah, looking at an Orc pic on Innova's new site and that one...I'm thinking it's an Orc. And my champ Orc from back then was pretty overstable until I beat it in a bit. And that one does look like it's in good shape.

Both Starfire and Orc are speed 10 so that doesn't rule out the Starfire, although Gordon's e-mail does seem to do just that. I have thrown multiple Champion Orcs before and this disc is noticeably more overstable than them, which is why I'm having trouble believing it's an Orc. Then again, it is Innova we're talking about.

Latest posts