• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help on Windy Days

You will be tempted to throw harder to compensate for a headwind. DON'T!! Your form will go to heck and the wind will multiply the (bad) results of your form flaws. Into the wind I formerly used a slightly faster disc. While this worked fine, I found I could go with a slower disc in a slightly more stable mold like a Champ Teebird and get better predictability. You don't need anything massively overstable or super fast. Your normal smooth throw will serve you best.

I too struggled with wind until I played a few rounds at Haslet (NW of Ft. Worth), I think the wind always blows out there. Wind rounds are still harder than calm ones, but now I know what to expect and have a few discs to cope.

...And don't shy away from windy days. You won't get better in the wind if you don't play it.

The wind really kicked my butt today. Started bogey, double, but managed to end up at 2 over. I thought the Gator was going to help my upshots in the wind. Today I learned the Gator is great off the tee but horrible for upshots for me.