• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help save our disc golf course!

I signed and posted to fb but people are lazy.

That new park is massive. Any idea what the overall budget is? I would put a guess around 14 million dollars. That's a ballpark(I know) guess but the plans probably cost more than your entire course. If I was you I would change your petition(if you can) to relocating rather than saving.

You can't even imagine the amount of money fields like that will bring in for tax purposes. Lets say the baseball fields are all full. That's roughly 30 families a field from out out of town. If a big tournament comes, you're talking nearly 300 families having to find a place to stay, food, and drinks.

Sorry if I seem negative but I just don't see how Dg can compete. The first thing I would do is inform the adjacent home owners of the perils of living next to a sports complex. That's the only way to get it stopped. Other than that I would pester the heck out of the city about relocating to a new area.

I signed and posted to fb but people are lazy.

That new park is massive. Any idea what the overall budget is? I would put a guess around 14 million dollars. That's a ballpark(I know) guess but the plans probably cost more than your entire course. If I was you I would change your petition(if you can) to relocating rather than saving.

You can't even imagine the amount of money fields like that will bring in for tax purposes. Lets say the baseball fields are all full. That's roughly 30 families a field from out out of town. If a big tournament comes, you're talking nearly 300 families having to find a place to stay, food, and drinks.

Sorry if I seem negative but I just don't see how Dg can compete. The first thing I would do is inform the adjacent home owners of the perils of living next to a sports complex. That's the only way to get it stopped. Other than that I would pester the heck out of the city about relocating to a new area.

What he said. It sucks, but the reality is that stopping this is probably futile. I'd focus your efforts on relocation.

That is a large scale project that will cost millions of dollars. The traffic it would produce will outweigh any petition you are going to be able to come up with. So unfortunately that course is probably gone.

The angle I would try to take would be to talk about how many people will lose out on an activity that they enjoy, and that while you understand this land is worth more as a baseball field you don't want to lose disc golf. Then see if they would be willing to set aside a small bit of that budget aside to replace that course with a new one. A disc golf course (without tons and tons of tree removal) would probably be like 1-3% of that total budged.

I would scout out city owned land before hand and write up a small budget for building a new course. Honestly a disc golf course is extremely cheap. Also you could then have a chance to build a brand new course.

This is just what I would try. If they already have plans drawn up(which cost a lot more then you think, thousands more) its going to be incredibly hard to keep that course.

You are fighting a battle you can't win. Use your position as the damaged party (who works WITH them) to get a new, better place, for a disc golf course. :|

Sorry, the disc golf course is done.

Best solution will to have the parks department REPLACE it in another area. They already have the baskets so that is a huge expense they don't have to cover again.

Good luck.

wrinkle to this story....... the baskets are not the cities'!!! they belong to the Wasatch disc golf club and was installed by us as well as the cost for the teepads. no support from AF at all. would love to find another place to have our baskets used, and will continue to work with them as best as we can, but disc golf is not on their radar.
and the comment about the land being donated as long as there is a disc golf course there, ive heard that since 2003. could be a rumor....don't have definitive proof.

Caution: the baskets may not be the club's, even though the club bought and installed them. A permanent structure on land generally belongs to the owner of the land, no matter how it got there. Baskets may fall in that category.

But that's if things really get nasty. Best scenario is that the city provides another location for a course. Fallback is that they give the baskets back to the club---apparently they don't actually want them---and the club looks for a place for them, perhaps private land.

But I agree with others that keeping the course is likely a losing battle. Athletic fields have a much larger constituency, for either local usage or drawing paying visitors to town.

Thank you everyone! I can't believe how many of you signed, so thank you.

Yes its definitely a huge uphill battle, but I'm going to fight it. Maybe we can come to an agreement of keeping part of the course or relocating.

So, its a 9 million dollar build out which they've been trying to fund for years. They just passed a Parks tax that will give them about 600 thousand a year so they'll start by ripping out 6 holes to do the top baseball diamond.

In talking to them they mentioned they would be willing to work with us, but I think that's because we were petitioning against the tax and they wanted us to petition for it. We'll see, I'm going to do all I can. Its a huge loaing battle. At the moment they don't know anything about the sport or the course, so that's what this petition is for.

With all these great signatures and seeing the love for the sport and the people that travel to play it, hopefully we can change their minds.

Thanks again.

Is the park surrounded by a residential area? Would imagine all the ball tournaments that will be taking place will really increase vehicular traffic in the neighborhood. Then there is the parking problems when tournament attendees start parking on the streets in front of peoples homes when the park parking lot overflows. Not to mention the noisy night time games. Think I would start a petition in that neighborhood to put the brakes on those ball fields before mayhem ensues. ;)

Latest posts