• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! Stuck in a rut, getting deeper

1) Find a pro and get lessons on form. That will help immensely. Even if it's just 1-2 lessons, it could be enough.

2) Walk some rounds and watch the local pros play. You'll be surprised what you learn.

3) 5-6 times a weeks is too much IF you're playing those full rounds. When I started playing full rounds only 3 times a week my overall playing improved dramatically.

4) Don't play "rounds" so often. Play "shots" instead. Go to the course and work on up shots from 250ft in. Shoot through, around trees, etc, etc. Your ratings can sky rocket if you can get your short game down.

5) I can't stress enough how important it is to just throw a putter round once in awhile. And don't make it the same putter you "putt" with. Get a different disc for putter rounds and just throw the hell out of it. Drives, upshots, etc. Just be one of the with putter. Do this a few times and you'll be shocked how well those other discs work for you now. And if you're not throwing that putter at least 200ft, level, straight, etc, then for sure follow step #1. ;)

Thanks. And to continue the shameless self-promotion, here's a little trick for hyzer approach shots that really helps you score better while you're learning.

Thanks for all the constructive help! Some good things to work on.

I have considered several times looking into lessons. That really helped my ball golf game, and its always nice to have another set of eyes watching your mechanics.

I'm going to try and make it a point to just practice more. Take out a few of the complete rounds I've been playing in a week and replace them with dedicated, focused practice.

I don't have a practice basket, nor do I have tons of the SAME MOLD discs...I do have stacks of plastic, but they're all different molds. I know from prior field days, that its some what a pain in the ass....Any advice for that?

My usual (when I actually do practice) routine is start with the putters, and usually in a soccer field. Throwing easy warm up approach shots to the soccer goal. Straight in, Hyzer in, then some anhyzer. Then I'll add distance and repeat. Eventually discing up to the mid's, and then I'll make my way to driving practice. Usually finishing with a stack of putters around the practice basket
Much like ball golf, if I don't know what to correct, or whats wrong, it can be hard to fix though? Perfect practice makes perfect. If im practicing incorrect form and don't know it, could be bad?
Or, if I'm getting the flight out of the disc with some form of accuracy, all is well?

Going to replace 1-2 of my regular rounds a week with practice. See how things go

This 840 rating has got to go

Good stuff. Also...here's another tip which will help your overall game: The next time you play a course, regardless how long or short the hole is, play for par only. Forget about parking your drives for birds, etc, you want to play for a solid 3 every hole. Unless it's a par 5, I tend to divide the hole length by 2 and that gives me a goal for my drive. If it's 300ft, I'll pick the best disc for a controlled 150ft. That leaves me with a challenging upshot. Usually during this type of practice round, it's not about putting so I just try to land the disc within a 40ft circle (20ft radius) from the basket and move on to the next hole.

If you really want to improve you probably have got to do some form work. To get the most out of field work get 4-5 of the same mold and go to town. Pretty cheap to get 5 DX Rocs and use those for field practice all the time.

Good stuff. Also...here's another tip which will help your overall game: The next time you play a course, regardless how long or short the hole is, play for par only. Forget about parking your drives for birds, etc, you want to play for a solid 3 every hole. Unless it's a par 5, I tend to divide the hole length by 2 and that gives me a goal for my drive. If it's 300ft, I'll pick the best disc for a controlled 150ft. That leaves me with a challenging upshot. Usually during this type of practice round, it's not about putting so I just try to land the disc within a 40ft circle (20ft radius) from the basket and move on to the next hole.

You just described my whole strategy while playing. I have a noodle arm and only drive about 220 to 240 feet. This has both frustrated me and also caused me to really focus on my upshots. This year so far, i have seen improvement on my upshots. Putting has always been a nightmare for me, but I can now say with practice I can hit 90% of my putts from 20 feet. Now working on hitting out to 25 feet.

Consistentcy is my biggest enemy. Practice does help that. Watch videos, practice and tape yourself to compare. Review, Critique, Delete and Repeat.

Dude...just take a week off. Swear to god it will fix your game. Or go for a couple fk off rounds...one you couldn't possibly care what your score is. (Ie...hammers only, rollers only, hyzers only, 2 disc round, etc...).

Just Have Fun! Who gives a damn what the score is. Most of us are not and will not be pros. Take a step back and its just a bunch of athletic nerds tossing frisbees around in the woods.

Good read in your thread discguy.... I'm almost at that point. So focused on the score, and improving, but I end up being miserable and beyond frustrated at the end of a round.

However, I don't do much real practice, I just go play complete rounds. I"m going to give a shot at field work and focused practice to target areas in hopes of some improvements.

But as it stands now, it's rarely fun to go play anymore...

Have a friend film you. It is so much easier to know what your doing wrong if you can actually see yourself throw. Things that may feel right might be wrong. You will notice that in film. Then just try to make your form look like the instructional videos out there (at least to an extent).

Also try to improve one thing form wise at a time. Ex. I've been working on reach back and pull through recently. Next is going to be footwork and weight shift. If you try to change/fix everything at once it makes you think about too many things (at least for me) to be helpful.

aside from what has been said here, check this site out to shore up your form

also a book titled "Golf is not a game of perfect" by Bob Rotella, is an excellent mental book that most certainly applies to our game

also a book titled "Golf is not a game of perfect" by Bob Rotella, is an excellent mental book that most certainly applies to our game

This.

Also practice putts from the 15-20' range until you hit near 100%. These are the difference makers.

Practice hitting makeable targets on drives and approaches. Play within your skills and go after makeable shots and easy approaches.

I'll agree with the general sentiment you don't need to throw super far to score well... but if one issue is spraying drives left and right with no idea then you could also use some form work.

Get some drive video of yourself and post it in the critique section. What you will learn about balance and throwing should translate to all of your throws not just high power drives. For me, power and consistency have been building together.

For upshot practice, and it can work for putting as well I really like playing catch. Same disc over and over and no walking to pick up 5 or 6 or 15 discs at the end that maybe you've sprayed all over the place.

Just have fun. I know it sounds like lame advice, but every time I start getting frustrated with disc golf my game falls off a cliff.

Don't worry about your score, stay relaxed, and always approach the next shot with the attitude that you ARE going to nail it.