• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help W/Strong arming

Duffmyster

I've read about the rec pec drill and pounding the hammer, and countless other threads/videos. But I'm clearly missing something because I max out around 330-350. I know you start by rotating your hips. Once your right shoulder is facing the target you pull your humerus in line with your torso. You then lock your humerus in place with your shoulder muscles. This is where I have a question. I currently engage my triceps to bring my forearm around and inline with everything else. Is that correct? Or are you supposed to keep your arm muscles as loose as possible and allow your forearm to come around using only the momentum previously generated?

From my observations, most people max out around 330-350 feet of actual (real) distance when they are "weekend" players.

Of course, there are the guys that can throw a lot farther. I would think you need to play rounds with them to learn the nuances of their technique. I doubt you'll get anything from the net that will get you much more distance than you presently have.

That's my 2 cents.

Keep your arm loose in the reach back. Focus on late acceleration after your hips start pulling your shoulders through and the disc is at your right pec.

The right pec position is were my question arises. My understanding of the right pec drill is once the disc is at your pec you use all your force to propel the disc forward. But that is not how I would pound a hammer. I would not use all of my force when the forks of the hammer are touching my bicep. I wait till much closer to the nail before tensing all my muscles.

But that is not how I would pound a hammer

The right pec drill teaches you where to start to accelerate. If you start to pull hard at the right pec, the timing is going to work out well accelerating into the hit. If you started to pull hard right when you get to the hit, then you would still be lacking power after it has left the hit or the power zone or whatever you want to call it.

The right pec position is were my question arises. My understanding of the right pec drill is once the disc is at your pec you use all your force to propel the disc forward. But that is not how I would pound a hammer. I would not use all of my force when the forks of the hammer are touching my bicep. I wait till much closer to the nail before tensing all my muscles.
Im not sure you are holding the hammer correctly based on some of your statements and maybe not setup in stance correctly. I agree with your last statement though. Loose is fast and you should be whipping the lower arm instead of using your triceps to pull it although you can assist the levers with your muscles. Arm/shoulder muscles are used more for stopping levers or holding/building momentum to then release momentum more like springs.

Don't know if you seen this one:

Im not sure you are holding the hammer correctly based on some of your statements and maybe not setup in stance correctly. I agree with your last statement though. Loose is fast and you should be whipping the lower arm instead of using your triceps to pull it although you can assist the levers with your muscles. Arm/shoulder muscles are used more for stopping levers or holding/building momentum to then release momentum more like springs.

Thank you.

This. Keep that arm relaxed until the end, just like you'd hammer the nail.

Imagine the head of the hammer is opposite of your hand when you throw. You are power gripping at the base of the handle.

Also, as far as the biomechanics of timing - I find some people overthink it and try to perfectly "place" each muscle. The best thing is get out of your head and video it. That'll tell you what you're actually doing wrong, because it may not be what you think you're feeling is wrong - if that makes sense.

Imagine the head of the hammer is opposite of your hand when you throw. You are power gripping at the base of the handle.

Also, as far as the biomechanics of timing - I find some people overthink it and try to perfectly "place" each muscle. The best thing is get out of your head and video it. That'll tell you what you're actually doing wrong, because it may not be what you think you're feeling is wrong - if that makes sense.

I've heard hitting a nail for forehand, does it work for bh as well?

I could be wrong, but I think this is a common misconception of the hammer applied to the dg swing. The head of the hammer, to me, is the disc's side opposite of your intended apex of flight.

Not trying to nit-pick, this is definitely just a 'feel' thing, but when I was imagining the hammer head being opposite my hand, it made me want to spin the disc in a less powerful way than feeling a heavy object to leverage allows me to do.

is it at the end of the throw when you reach your right peck with the disc you start using your arm to hammer in the nail as hard and fast as possible?

This seems close to what I would say about it, but there is so much room for making the right 'poses' but having no actual reason to be in those poses with the dg swing. Don't forget that you are throwing an object, not performing a dance move that magically moves an object (I say this only because it is a pitfall I have fallen into).

Sitting here snapping a towel, I think one of the major pitfalls one could run into would be opening up too early in the power pocket. To me it feels like I stay closed and have a bunch of torque stored at the pocket position, then there is a sensation of building momentum from the ground, through the torso...then I ADD to this with my arm once its going.

Honestly, sidewinder's revolving door video seems to be one of the better representations of what I think you are asking about.

This seems close to what I would say about it, but there is so much room for making the right 'poses' but having no actual reason to be in those poses with the dg swing. Don't forget that you are throwing an object, not performing a dance move that magically moves an object (I say this only because it is a pitfall I have fallen into).

Sitting here snapping a towel, I think one of the major pitfalls one could run into would be opening up too early in the power pocket. To me it feels like I stay closed and have a bunch of torque stored at the pocket position, then there is a sensation of building momentum from the ground, through the torso...then I ADD to this with my arm once its going.

Honestly, sidewinder's revolving door video seems to be one of the better representations of what I think you are asking about.

Thanks, what do you mean by opening up too early? try to have the disc longer in the power pocket before releasing it? is your arm lose before opening up? (if opening up means moving the disc outside of the powerpocket)

Latest posts