• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with basic forehand

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys, I feel a gaping hole in my game on shots that need to curve and park to the right. I am concerned with distances between approach and out to around 200 ft or so. I feel like a solid RHFH shot with my champ rhyno, z buzzz or shark3 would fill this hole no prob, but my forehand ain't worth nothin'!

I can awkwardly huck a discraft flick, avenger or my banshee about 150 ft by keeping my elbow close. My grip looks like a closed peace sign under the rim, my ring finger touching the flat, wide part of the rim for stability and my pinkie off to the side. I try to focus on a smooth motion, following through with my palm facing the sky.

Where should I go from here to learn to throw a nice forehand shot with a midrange disc? Gripping the buzzz for forehand feels super awkward but I've seen people on here say they like flicking their buzzz.

Throwing an anhyzer seems like a decent alternative to learning forehand altogether - would it be more beneficial to my game to just keep working on BH and to add a dx cobra for the shots I've described?

Here's my current bag. I would like to keep it at exactly 7 discs so I can fit beer in the other half of my beginner bag. :hfive:

champ rhyno 175g
r pro dart 175g

z buzzz 172g
champ shark3 176g

champ leopard 160g
DX teebird 166g
champ banshee 167g

Last edited:
I'll be watching this thread too.

FYI, annies are sweeping turns, where a forehand gets you a late turn. Different lines.

does the disc turn over much or hyzer out? I'de try a 1 finger sidearm with your pointer finger puching the disc with your finger pad. This will help the disc from flipping over and give you more accuracy.

OH I FORGOT!

What about a nice forehand/overhead roller? I threw a super nice roller with a 175g dx banshee one time, slipped around trees on the right and parked it next to the basket at about 100 feet. :clap:

does the disc turn over much or hyzer out? I'de try a 1 finger sidearm with your pointer finger puching the disc with your finger pad. This will help the disc from flipping over and give you more accuracy.

It flips like a mofo due to the massive, wobbly OAT

you said it was wobbly, put all your power into the flick and then the spin will catch up with the speed.

If you are throwing with wobble you are probably trying to throw it too hard. Try throwing it at 50% until you feel the mechanics take over. Then you can start to throw it harder.

I throw my sidearms with only 1 finger. I have the pad of my index finger against the rim. I feel I have more control with this type of grip.

When it comes to grip just use what works for you but in my experience I have found having 2 fingers under the rim on a forehand (for Mids & putters) helps to stabilize the disc & make it more accurate. Also just start doing short technical shots & upshots forehand with your Putters & Mids til you get the hang of it the start throwing harder are farther. Remember that smooth is far & to not use a very jerky motion. On a different note I noticed you seem to use different molds to fill slot instead of cycling discs (which isn't a bad thing it's just a personal preference). So I recommend getting a Champion Teebird to replace your DX Teebird b/c once your DX gets beat in it will fly similar to your Leopard & will overlap with it.

Here's a few vids of a few different sidearm styles to help you with your technique.

As someone above said, so much of the throw is the actual flick. To get the feel, throw a bunch by only "swinging" your forearm, meaning your upper arm has little to no involvement in the swing. Once you get the feel of the correct "hit", you can start lengthening your swing.

A couple things to help you visualize:

1) skipping stones- in order to skip a stone, you need to keep it pretty flat and get good spin, same concept with a FH.

2) palm up- after you release, your palm should be facing the sky, this helps ensure you don't have any wrist roll.

Hope this helps...

I throw my sidearms with only 1 finger. I have the pad of my index finger against the rim. I feel I have more control with this type of grip.

Exactly the grip I use, as well. I'm sure I'm losing distance with the finger on the rim, but I suppose I don't need my FH to go much over 280-300' anyways.

the Deep in the Game sidearm episode really made sense to me. That's the key. Find a video that gives you an "Ah-Ha" moment, and learn from that one. Everyone throws sidearm a little differently, so if one style isn't working, try another style.

But i would recommend trying only one style at a time, and giving it a good go. So don't mix Sarah's tips with Avery's, and with whomevers. Try one person's tips first, and then if that isn't working for you, try someone else's. Just starting from scratch you don't want to try to meld multiple ideas into one. I think that could be overwhelming.

It's just like learning backhand. Start on slower discs and go with control first, then distance. Don't try to throw far first, then try to control them. That's how bad habits form

keep arm lower so disc wont flip over

I throw everything from above the elbow. I've seen above and below used effectively without flipping discs. Going low adds a lot of OAT to my throw. I converted from overhands; I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Latest posts