• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with elementary kids

brichert

Bogey Member
I have a group of (around 20) elementary students to teach disc golf to. Ages range from 6 to 12 and we will meet 1 hour a week for 4 weeks. Each student will have their own putter and I have several portable baskets and a large elementary playground. What activities would you suggest for each session?

Stretching- maybe a couple simplified versions of sidewinders drills, total of about 15 minutes for that,

For driving practice, 2 lines of 10 people, starting at one side, throw the disc, run to the other side and pick up their disc on the way, second line repeats, go back and forth. Make smaller groups of 5 and 4 lines for more individual attention.

Putt like a relay race- divide them evenly among your baskets- front person putts, grabs disc, and runs to the back.

I haven't taught disc golf to kids in groups before- just my 8 year old- but I am an elementary school teacher, and the best thing you can do is keep them moving and changing things up. Holding the younger ones attention for even 5 minutes can be challenging sometimes.

I would advise heavily against them throwing toward anyone else- like in pro clinics when everyone putts in a circle. There are gonna be some kids who throw hard on purpose and someone it gonna get hurt.

I did this for a cub scout troop but we were at a small course.

I went though the different throws and putting. I also showed them a full bag and demonstrated briefly how different discs did different things. Then they each got a Magnet and a few minutes to practice throw.

Then we drew cards and played best shot doubles. This worked great because even the less skilled had a shot get used here and there. Lots of high fives an team atmosphere.

Since you have a playground it's harder but you could make four holes. That way each week culminates with a tournament. in my experience they will like part that the most and look forward to it each week.

My kids go to a catholic school with a big fundraising auction every year. I am giving away this same format Disc Golf Tournament for $20. We hope to get 20 players, givem a disc, play dubs and grill.

I haven't taught disc golf to kids in groups before- just my 8 year old- but I am an elementary school teacher, and the best thing you can do is keep them moving and changing things up. Holding the younger ones attention for even 5 minutes can be challenging sometimes.

I would advise heavily against them throwing toward anyone else- like in pro clinics when everyone putts in a circle. There are gonna be some kids who throw hard on purpose and someone it gonna get hurt.

I definitely agree with this. Minimize the amount of time they are standing in line and make sure they are moving.

This probably doesn't have to be said, but be positive. No matter how bad of a throw or form a kid has, find something positive to say about what they are doing before you correct them. Also make sure they are complimenting each other. In the school I work in we use a lot of cooperative structures and whenever kids are grouped or paired up they always end with a positive closing gambit. Something as small as making sure they thank their partners and say something that the partner did that they liked.

Use hula hoops for tees. They "get" throwing from within the hoop.

Throwing from behind an invisible line connecting two markers, not so much.

Stretching- maybe a couple simplified versions of sidewinders drills, total of about 15 minutes for that,

For driving practice, 2 lines of 10 people, starting at one side, throw the disc, run to the other side and pick up their disc on the way, second line repeats, go back and forth. Make smaller groups of 5 and 4 lines for more individual attention.

Putt like a relay race- divide them evenly among your baskets- front person putts, grabs disc, and runs to the back.

This, and particularly the bold part. I coached youth sports for many years, and having multiple stations and keeping the kids moving and active instead of watching and listening is very important.

If you've got room to start out by throwing a long throw yourself, you'll get their attention.

I once helped with a disc golf intro at a small elementary school. We had the 4th, 5th, & 6th graders, each for an hour. One thing we did was a version of the putting relay, but instead of doing it by time, we kept team scores. (The kids don't need to retrieve discs, if they all have their own putters). The line went around about 3 times. The putts were very short, 15-20'

Driving is tricky because they can be so wild. Some will wind up and throw a disc backwards, or at least, almost backwards. Be careful. Also, watch the boys who, if they're standing around with something throwable, will eventually throw it out of turn.

You've got a vast range of ages there. You'll need different plans for 7-year-olds and 12-year-olds.

Congratulations and good luck.

Oh something else I thought of- give them assigned spots for their formations for whatever exercises you have them do. It takes more time to set up originally- but will save you loads of transitional time later on. If they know right when they get there they have to go to their spot in the stretch block- or move to their spot in the putting line- and it's the same each time, it will be a much faster change with less chance of "elementary drama"- like- "he pushed me!"- or-"she cut in front of me!"- if it's all assigned that stuff goes away. Alternating boy girl helps cut down on extra chatter a little bit too.

Last edited:
Show them the forehand for sure. Small people's hands can manage this much better for longer shots, from what I can tell. Most of the successful little one's I've seen have adopted forehand techniques for most longer shots.

If your going to teach some of them to putt i would suggest around the world. You could maybe set a basket around the playground equipment so kids have have stuff to putt around and at diffrent stations. As for the other half or third of the class maybe teach them backhand and forehand or maybe rollers.

if you have a back stop from a baseball diamond you could put a basket on the pitchers mound or secomd base and have then throw from the same spot behind the back stop and practice anhyzers or hyzers.

this is at least What i think i would do.

I was also thinking doing some object golf (there are plenty go targets around the playground). Would the second session be too soon for this?

We did a few of those sessions with local kids here.

Set up a really really easy course. 150 foot holes at max. Make a litle instruction and then let them battle it out, mini tournament style :)

I've taught to kids before, but mine were a bit older, the youngest being 10. You gotta get them in a line and throw at a basket one at a time (and try to make them not immediately run after the disc). Once you can get them to actually throw at a reasonable power, you can go on to other stuff. You can do a ring of fire if they all are throwing properly. You can also do a regular putting competition style thing. You can also adapt the basketball game knock-out to disc golf. And really short holes, basically throwing around a tree to the basket.

You can also reach out to E.D.G.E disc golf from some information. I use them for my physical education classes. They have an entire curriculum designed to educate the youth on disc golf. Many of the drills are simple and progressive. Also if you are looking for equipment you can apply for their grant to get discs and disc catcher baskets.

EDGE Disc Golf

Anyone that has connections with schools or youth programs elementary through college could benefit from the offerings of the Educational Disc Golf Experience (EDGE). EDGE was founded by World Champion disc golfers and educational professionals to bring the great lifetime activity of disc golf to today's youth. EDGE just represented disc golf at the Annual "Society of Health and Physical Education" conference in Seattle and presented to a packed ball room of 250 teaching professionals who all walked away stoked about disc golf!

Check out the website: http://www.edgediscgolf.org

Like the Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Educational-Disc-Golf-Experience-EDGE/292561224869

Although not on here regularly, you can PM me here as well.

Any donations are tax-deductible and the more funding this 501c3 can get, the more that can be accomplished.