• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with form please

ETXdiscguy

Hello all,

I'm just getting back into disc golf after a couple year break. I've been wildly inconsistent, throwing extremely far right and left. From what I've read online, it seems that I'm struggling with rounding. I've been trying to work on moving the disc on a straight line. Please let me know what I can do to fix my rhbh throw. I'm not getting any distance, and my accuracy stinks. Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/PjpuIfb20qk
https://youtu.be/d18wQ5Bhgck

Hello all,

I'm just getting back into disc golf after a couple year break. I've been wildly inconsistent, throwing extremely far right and left. From what I've read online, it seems that I'm struggling with rounding. I've been trying to work on moving the disc on a straight line. Please let me know what I can do to fix my rhbh throw. I'm not getting any distance, and my accuracy stinks. Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/PjpuIfb20qk
https://youtu.be/d18wQ5Bhgck

What distance are you throwing? What discs are you using? One thing I noticed is your head is turning forward too soon which can cause you to start dragging the disc around. Be patient and keep your head from turning forward until after you release the disc. I try to watch the disc the whole time through release and keep my head lined up with its position in relation to my body.

Last edited:
I'm not a far thrower, that's for sure. I've never really measured though. I also play alone, as nobody I know plays in my area. This game is so hard! Thank you both for the tips.

Sidewinder, I'm a bit confused about moving around the door frame. Is this a practice drill to eliminate rounding?

Sidewinder, I'm a bit confused about moving around the door frame. Is this a practice drill to eliminate rounding?
Should help with rounding/hugging, but it's more about leveraging your bodyweight and rear leg/foot against the disc and sequencing the backswing and transition.

Note how your rear foot is almost backwards and push off your heel instead of instep of foot driving heel forward/plantar flexion/ankle extension.

Note how early you are turned backward before your feet crossover, so it just walking backwards instead of moving laterally and turning back as late as possible going into plant. The door frame should be pulling your body/shoulder/arm further back as you stride forward and are about to plant your weight into front heel. Only when/if you release hand from door frame should you be able to fully plant into front heel.

Don't worry about reaching back too early. It isn't going to really effect how far you throw. I actually think it's better to be back a little sooner than later as being later rushes things and you may not get a full reach back.

Don't worry about reaching back too early. It isn't going to really effect how far you throw. I actually think it's better to be back a little sooner than later as being later rushes things and you may not get a full reach back.
Bad advice if you want to throw like any pro.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 10.40.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 10.40.58 AM.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47
Bad advice if you want to throw like any pro.
attachment.php

The back-swing feels like it is a big part of staying balanced throughout the rest of the movement to me. I feel like the best advice might be to just stay loose with it and not try to force any specific timing. Trying to manipulate or consider the back-swing as an isolated position is almost guaranteed to detach you from the purpose of having a back-swing at all, in my experience.

I have found that the backswing helps with timing and getting that stretch factor. Each player is going to be a bit different in how they time their motions to find that right rythm and stretch. Find what feels comfortable.