• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with RHBH throwing form

ToneRay

I'm having a little pain in my left (push-off) ankle and achilles. :(
And I only get out to about 270-280' with my drivers.:\
I've tried pivoting on my right heel, but can't seem to generate much rip that way.
Let me know what you think will help.

Not sure how to place a video here - I guess I need a web page in order to add a link to it? But I'll add a video of my shot once I figure that out. Thanks.

Try bending your knees and rotate your left leg like a gate instead of a spindle. This should reduce the stress on your ankle. The heel pivot doesn't happen until just after the disc is released and should happen automatically if you are bracing properly. Check out sidewinder's door frame videos.

I'm having a little pain in my left (push-off) ankle and achilles. :(

Well, your back heel should never be on the ground, basically. Or there should never be pressure on it. Are you putting any pressure on the heel?

Not sure how to place a video here - I guess I need a web page in order to add a link to it? But I'll add a video of my shot once I figure that out. Thanks.

Just upload a video to YouTube and then paste the link.

Well, your back heel should never be on the ground, basically. Or there should never be pressure on it. Are you putting any pressure on the heel?.

He was talking about pain in his left ankle. And then mentioned pivoting on his right heel.

reaching back a little high IMO with huge anny angle in hand but shoulders and core doesn't mimic the throwing angle. Bringing the disc through lower should get you "on top" on the disc more and the core involved. Keep the throwing planes level-- shoulders/hips/arm/disc-- whatever the angle you want to hit they all should align.

notice the difference here with pretty much an all arm throw of me throwing a hyzer flip which turns all the way over at 300' The disc holds that hyzer line which I kept in my arm/shoulders/body throughout the majority of the flight but am able to get it to flip late still without rolling due to mashing on it hard. All about angles'

Last edited:
First I would say watch this video of dan beato if you haven't already. http://youtu.be/nED7gcXobEo

It looks like your disc at release is on an anhyzer and there was no acceleration through the hit.

Front foot contacts almost all with the forefoot, it should be or could be more mid foot to relieve pressure off of the knee as well as get on the front heel as your right arm comes through. This will help maintain a position to brace and transfer torque.

Dan beato will give you some great drills to look at. The left ankle and Achilles does not look like a position issue, which tells me it is likely a restriction issue. Try to squat to 90 degrees with your feet parallel. If the toes turn out as you go down and your heels want to lift your hips and ankles are tight. Any injuries there? Perhaps old shoes.

Thanks so far

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Just back in Michigan from Florida, and too much snow to get out discing!!
But I'll be out as soon as depth is < 6 inches or so. Usually, I'm able to play all year long.
I'm going to set up a rug in the garage to throw into. I think your advice of landing on middle of my front foot is good to try.
Also, pushing off with my left foot should be just off the balls of my foot - not the heel.
Where do I find Sidewinder's door frame videos?
Love the Aim for the Chains video of the hyzer flip. This is my dream shot, so I'll definitely be pursuing learning the angles.
Did the "squat" test, and no problems there. I think I'm probably just pushing off funny with my left foot. I'll try staying off my left heel when I push off. Although I did twist my hips in an auto accident quite a few years back, Bothers me once in a while, but not sure it's causing any issues in my heel pain.
Been throught the Dan Beato video a lot, but will continue to work on the hit. It seems like my best drives (hit 340' once, and it felt like it was effortless. Just can't remember what I did to do it!). Seems like this is most imporant to getting the distance and accuracy I'm looking for.
Thanks for all the input so far. Let me know anything else you think will help. And keep on discin' ! :thmbup:

270-280 & an epic throw of 340 was effortless for you? Not trying to be a smart ass, but looking at your video I wouldn't guess you're throwing 280+. Have you ever actually gone out to a field and walked off 300ft and measured your drives? This will go a long way in helping you understand your abilities. And while you're at it, throw ALL of your discs so you can get a good idea how they all compare distance wise. By looking at your video, it wouldn't surprise me if you find out you're throwing your mid ranges almost as far as your drivers.

My reason behind that is your current form doesn't look like it's tooled for maximum distance, it looks like it's tooled for shorter / more accurate throws. The walk up, extension, etc, looks a little held back, almost like you're thinking too much. One thing I've learned the past few months, when it comes to field work at least, is to just stop thinking and just throw the damn discs. "But if I throw too hard the disc flies off to the right". Yep...a classic good sign you're getting more power but your brain hasn't compensated yet to release sooner. ;)

The biggest obvious tip I can give you based on your video is "acceleration". I'm really not seeing it. You start off slow enough, but your "hit", the moment you're moving through your core, doesn't seem to accelerate enough. Think of your body as a jet taking off. Start off slowly...and right before you release the disc you should be moving the fastest. When your arm is at it's further point back, it's reach back, that's the slowest point obviously. As your arm comes across your core it speeds up, finally before releasing the disc, it's at it's fastest point in the throw. I think working on acceleration will dramatically help your distance potential.

To me it looks like the OP is arming it the entire way. He turns his body, but doesn't actually use any of the coiled energy in his throw. All I see is a chest height, arm swing from far back to release.

Speaking as a fellow guy with a beer belly, standing up that tall when trying to throw is going to cost you power and distance. To put bluntly, your gut is hurting your form too much. It makes your reach back and subsequent throwing motion to far away from the core of your body. The best option is to bend over and stick your toosh out a bit when coiling. That will bring the disc and arm in closer on the reach back as well as keep you on top of the disc when releasing the throw. The release height should be just about at your belly button for max distance. You are releasing mid sternum right now. It makes a massive difference when you start doing this properly.

I will state making that lean over change will not be easy. It will feel like you are about to fall out of the tee-box while throwing. Best advice is to ignore that feeling and let the disc rip through the zone it needs to go properly.

Also, as noted, your swing is almost the same speed throughout. I personally think coiling your body inward by leaning a bit over to get your gut out of the way will help with this. The other thing is to think of yourself as yanking as hard as you can on a cord that starts a lawnmower. Just reach back and pull as hard as possible into your gut and past when you turn your body. Cause right now I'm in agreement with the poster above. That disc in the video you posted doesn't look like it would go further than 180', let alone 280'.

Last edited:
Clear this up

Need to clarify. I posted the video because it was the only one I had. I mostly wanted to show my turn on the toes instead of the heel, since I can't seem to generate much rip when I turn on my heel. And to figure out my heel pain.
But the throw is actually just a 180' upshot, so I see why you're wondering why I'm so upright, etc.
I'll see if I can get a video of a decent rip, so this makes more sense.
I do the Dan Beato pec drill, but once I try to get it into my actual shot, I feel really awkward tyring to finish on my heel.
Anyway, sorry about the misleading video, and I really appreciate the input.

"I'll see if I can get a video of a decent rip, so this makes more sense."

Yep, let's see how your form looks chugging for max d. That's when all your good & bad points will be clearly visible.

Up to a foot of snow to golf in, and footing not so great.
But can you see anything I can do to get more distance?

i see a little bit that would need to be improved on. I'm no expert otherwise i would be with the proffessionals. However i understand your in snow and that will take away distance. I might need to see a video that you are not shooting an upshot but from the video that i saw. Your walkup was casual which is good. although getting some momentum can add distance, you arm swiveled outward. if you just reach straight back instead of a swooping motion you can add distance. your reach back was good but your throw was out in a swooping motion as well. you lose arm speed and also snap on your throw.

Yah, hard to tell from this vid since you weren't able to fully drive, but 2 things stand out. Your reach back is not level and it looks like you're releasing the disc at a slight nose up angle.

Latest posts