• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Helping a friend pick out his first discs

I always give my Discraft Comet or Stratus to my buddies who dont ever play discgolf. Anything understable so Im not stuck looking for my disc they just hyzered out of bounds...

Funny, but true. Up up and away....left left and way left. I don't get why guys throw at the moon when the basket is on the ground.

Understable discs like the Stratus and Road Runner and Sidewinder and Leopard are pretty solid beginer plastic.

And if you get them in Star Plastic....they will be usefull and in good shape when you get around to throwing Rocs, Buzzzs, Putters and Tee-Birds.

Last edited:
I always give my Discraft Comet or Stratus to my buddies who dont ever play discgolf. Anything understable so Im not stuck looking for my disc they just hyzered out of bounds...

Good strategy.
A Cobra is a good disc for a beginner.
Just saw a beginner hole out from 70 feet with one yesterday.

We saw this poor girl yesterday...the guy mustve given her the most overstable disc in his bag. Poor thing threw about 50' before it just bombed down sideways.

Not a good way to get your woman into the game...wish we would've had my wife's old beat up stingray...she probably would've fallen in love with the game.

I recently started playing a few months ago and have a few discs, some I like some I don't. Enough about me. A friend of mine wants to buy a few discs to get started. Any ideas.... I told him to start with innova DX (cost, grip, etc..) I think he wants to buy 3 discs any good ideas?
I was thinking (one in each category)
putter: classic aviar, aviar p&a, xd
mid range: shark, roc, skeeter,
driver: leopard, Valkyrie, Viking (not really sure here)

any advice?
as someone whos been playing awhile the last thing i would do is advise starting with dx , youll never build consistency as the discs flight path will vary wildly from disc to disc and day to day, for someones whos been playing awhile dx might be ok as they know what those mold are supposed to do and understand when ones dv8ing.

i run across noobs almost every time i play and dont mind ansewring questions and giving advise when needed but the only unsolicited advise i always give is to buy quality plastics , not only will it save money in the long run but will advance their playing much more rapidly.

Funny, but true. Up up and away....left left and way left. I don't get why guys throw at the moon when the basket is on the ground.
i think thats called beachfrisbeeitis its contagious but can be cured by a exp. disc chunker with simply reminders like your not at the beach holmes , i know your wearing flip flops but... and etc:)

I started out with an Innova starter set (leopard, shark and Aviar) and it worked well for me. However, if he is a primarily a FH thrower then I would suggest a Teebird for his fairway driver. Also I would suggest throwing his first couple of rounds/weeks with just the shark then working in the other discs.

I usually let my buddies play with my old Sharks, Omega Super Softs, and TeeBirds. They seem the most user friendly discs on the market.

**By 300 I meant by fisherman standards...you know 230-280' ;) **

No, I don't expect it, and it is something we all do.

Then we look down one day and realize we are always shuffling our drivers out of the way to get to the mid that we throw on 80% of the holes.

Its a hindsight thing with hopes that someone will save the 75 bucks or so but I know they won't and then one day they will say...damn...he and all the others were right...

I just did this very recently so I know! ;)

Haha...yeah, I hear you. I bought so many fast drivers when I was first starting...I think that was the main reason I only threw forehand. I've been trying to develop a backhand this year and man it is difficult with all those fast, overstable discs in my bag. I had to buy a few understables so that I could get any sort of respectable distance. At the very least my midrange and putting has all been backhand so it hasn't been like starting from scratch at least.

ansewring questions and giving advise when needed but the only unsolicited advise i always give is to buy quality plastics , not only will it save money in the long run but will advance their playing much more rapidly.
If Rocs are such popular discs with pros, why do they only sell them in dx?

as someone whos been playing awhile the last thing i would do is advise starting with dx , youll never build consistency as the discs flight path will vary wildly from disc to disc and day to day, for someones whos been playing awhile dx might be ok as they know what those mold are supposed to do and understand when ones dv8ing.

i run across noobs almost every time i play and dont mind ansewring questions and giving advise when needed but the only unsolicited advise i always give is to buy quality plastics , not only will it save money in the long run but will advance their playing much more rapidly.

i think thats called beachfrisbeeitis its contagious but can be cured by a exp. disc chunker with simply reminders like your not at the beach holmes , i know your wearing flip flops but... and etc:)

Omega you hit both of these right on the head.

I started out with an Innova starter set (leopard, shark and Aviar) and it worked well for me. However, if he is a primarily a FH thrower then I would suggest a Teebird for his fairway driver. Also I would suggest throwing his first couple of rounds/weeks with just the shark then working in the other discs.

As I was reading this I was thinking the same thing. One disc in champion plastic keeps costs down (verses buying a whole starter kit) and because it is in a better plastic it will be around for a long time. The shark is a disc that is consistent and easy for a beginner, and it can be used as a putter.

I'll add some confusion and recommend only low end plastic for beginners. It's easier to control (and only gets easier and longer as it beats up), less expensive and doesn't beat in nearly as fast as people make it sound. It's more along the lines of weeks or months for beat in rather than throws or rounds and that's only for the initial beat in. It takes a really long time (if it ever happens) for a good, slow disc in low end plastic to beat in to be unuseable.

Most of the top pros now learned with and were playing with more consistancy than most of us will ever see using only low end plastic. Not all of it was as good as the low end plastic now, either.

I would recommend a Leopard, Sidewinder, Stingray, or Cyclone for a driver. They are all good discs that are easy to control. The Eagle is not a bad disc either.

If he has more natural throwing power a Valkyrie or Orc might be better choices for a driver.

A Comet, Buzz, Wolf, or Shark are good beginner mid-range discs.

I would say a Polecat for a putter, but any of the suggestions will work.

Just starting with a good mid-range disc would not be a bad idea either.

starter discs

As a standard rule of thumb I suggest to people a light archangel for first driver, a wolf (if they can't handle the tumbtrac then panther or DX) for midrange and Aviar put and approach or aero depending on what feels best to them (rhyno if they can handle the thumbtrac). I find as a new player can start putting enough spin on the archangel and wolf to make them start going to the right then they can slowly start upgrading in discs.

Putter: Pro-R Dart. I ONLY use this disc and my putting has gone from 50-50 to 75%, with much greater range. Shots I used to lay up on, I now go for, because this disc doesn't float away, or roll away like an XD/Aviar can.

Mid Range: Panther or Roc. Both are very reliable, the Roc is great for backhand and is very easy to learn. The panther is fantasic for upshots and long putts.

Driver: Groove. This disc is not only a tremendously capable disc (13 speed, 6 glide, -2 high speed turn, +2 fade) it is also easy to throw, consistent and very steerable. The fact that it's a "turn neutral" disc (the high speed and fade cancel each other out) means that it's very much a "point and shoot" driver.

The only thing about this disc is YOU MUST THROW IT WITH A TON OF WRIST SNAP, otherwise it will fade straight out of your hand. As many others have suggested, a driver is for intermediate/advanced players, so it's a good idea to learn the mid/fairway driver discs first before tackling the driver, but once you take that step, go out to a football feild and learn how it flies.

Putter: Pro-R Dart. I ONLY use this disc and my putting has gone from 50-50 to 75%, with much greater range. Shots I used to lay up on, I now go for, because this disc doesn't float away, or roll away like an XD/Aviar can.

Mid Range: Panther or Roc. Both are very reliable, the Roc is great for backhand and is very easy to learn. The panther is fantasic for upshots and long putts.

Driver: Groove. This disc is not only a tremendously capable disc (13 speed, 6 glide, -2 high speed turn, +2 fade) it is also easy to throw, consistent and very steerable. The fact that it's a "turn neutral" disc (the high speed and fade cancel each other out) means that it's very much a "point and shoot" driver.

The only thing about this disc is YOU MUST THROW IT WITH A TON OF WRIST SNAP, otherwise it will fade straight out of your hand. As many others have suggested, a driver is for intermediate/advanced players, so it's a good idea to learn the mid/fairway driver discs first before tackling the driver, but once you take that step, go out to a football feild and learn how it flies.

:mad:HUH! Most people never get to the point they can spin a disc this fast. Those that do eventually get there are going to take awhile. First, they need to learn the principle of throwing the driver and build up to it. Otherwise the frustration that sets in for Joe Player will only cause most to leave and never come back. Some will do nothing but give it a bad name because of this.

aaaa

Latest posts