• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Herb's 2017 ITB

4 new additions since the last post:
Swirly star FD (replacement for lost C Line)
Glow Firebird
Titanium Buzzz (I used to bag one last year)
Star Wraith (not new, field work only before)

The FD is a great disc based on the two I have thrown so far. This new one flys pretty much identical to the lost C Line. They are perfect for nice flat FH shots that can push out to rival my OLFs (350ish) for distance. I've also been seeing good results BH with the FD, getting 300-325 (which is huge for me BH) regularly. If only they could handle headwind better they would be the perfect fairway. I'm planning on trying out the P and G line FD to see if one would beat into a leopard/PLS replacement. I would love to run with just a FD/OLF setup as my control/fairways. I could probably cover Teebird lines between those discs and my Pair of Buzzzes (new Ti is a nice more OS compliment to the jawbreaker).

The firebird I picked up is a somewhat broken in Glow with small dome (def not flat). This is the headwind driver I have been looking for, straight flight with a dependable heavy fade. These will be much more practical than the Teerex I was using in this slot.

Last addition to the bag is a Star Wraith I've had for a while now. Last April I decided to drop anything faster than a speed 9. I decided to throw the wraith in as a way to check my progress. Before, speed 9 discs would go as far or farther than any speed 10+ disc. My first throw with the wraith I outdrove my typical landing spot for a good shot on the hole by an easy 50-60 feet (probably the farthest throw I've ever had, close to 400' likely past it). First throw I measured after that was the longest I have ever recorded at 380'. The wraith will make a great distance driver for holes where I have more room to work in the fairway, that are out of my OLF range.

Ideally I can use:
Wizards/Pigs/Comet/Buzzzes/
FDs/OLFs/Firebirds/Wraith

The only problem I see with that is missing a Teebird. As great as the FD is, it takes more finesse to fly like a Teebird. I can rely on the Teebird to fly straight with minimal turn and finish softly. The FD can certainly execute those shots and more, but they are quite different discs.

Last edited:
agreed; i think it's important to have something bagged in that speed 5/6/7 fairway slot that flies very HSS. you may find you miss it, or you may be alright with powering down and manipulating your OLF and FB.

Been using the following setup since my last update

175g Fossil Wizard- main putter
175g Fossil Fuel Wizard- BH driving putter
174g RFF Wizard- turbo putts, shorter approaches, touch FH, scooby/OH approaches
175g Pro Pig (Factory Store)- FH driving putter, OS approach (BH and FH)
171g R-Pro Pig- less OS than Pro Pig, headwind putts

172g Big Z Comet- straight, floaty midrange
175g Jawbreaker Buzzz- straight FH approaches, US Buzzz
179g Titanium Buzzz- Workhorse midrange

175g S Line FD- straight to US fairway, tailwind driver
(2x)175g MOLF 1.4- Workhorse control drivers
175g Glow Champion Firebird- utility disc, headwind driver, skips, spike hyzer, FH roller
175g Star Wraith- max D driver

I'm gonna be playing in my first tournament ever this Saturday, an Ice Bowl at Cottonwood Creek. I figure an Ice Bowl should be an easy intro to tourneys, as it should be a more laid back setting. I'm going in with low expectations, signed up in the intermediate division with my buddy, I just don't want to finish last.

I will prob throw in an extra Fossil Fuel Wizard and OLF, and am debating throwing a Teebird or two back in the bag. I have been missing it occasionally in the last couple weeks without it.

Ice Bowl last weekend was lots of fun even though I didn't score as well as I would have liked. Other than a 6 hole stretch (right at the turn) where I completely fell apart, I played pretty well. At least I didn't finish last... It helps to set the bar pretty low:D

I grabbed some misprint FDs to try out the Metal Flake C Line and G Line. I truly love the FD as a fairway, too bad i wasn't playing when 2nd runs were available for cheaper. I would like to have 2-3 in the bag depending on how US I can beat one into. For now I'm holding off putting a Teebird back in the bag.

The Star Wraith has been absolutely crushing for me recently. Easily the longest disc I have thrown so far, consistently going 350-375 for me. If I have a bit more room to work with these come out for distance shots, but will stick with OLFs if the fairway is tighter. Wraith is a great disc, I would love to try one out in Pro plastic, since I have really taken a liking to the blend.

Only area of the bag that I'm thinking of changing up is the mids. The Comet isn't going anywhere...if anything I'm gonna add an Elite X to beat into a more US complement to my Big Z. While I do really like the two Buzzz I have, I have been experimenting again with my Elite Z Wasp and DX Roc from the Ice Bowl. They are great straight to OS for BH, but I wish they were a tick more HSS with forehand. Most of my errant throws are probably user error, but something with similar LSS but more HSS would be ideal. I was thinking of trying out the MVP Matrix or possibly the MD3. What would be some other suggestions that may fit the bill for my next disc order? Thanks in advance

Minor adjustments aside, I'm really liking the way I have my bag set up at the moment. Only thing i might add beside experimenting with new midrange discs is possibly a Sidewinder/Roadrunner to serve as a BH max distance/FH turnover driver...okay maybe the Teebird again but still I'm pleased with the bag now.

Last edited:
In the bag today for tag match at The Aviary...yo-yo round, super streaky and inconsistent. The wraith absolutely crushes off the tee though I'm really impressed, easily the longest disc I have ever thrown. I got two out 400'+ today FH, which is a first for me (without lucking into throwing a perfect roller). I should get backups and try a Pro Wraith, see if i can stretch the distance out farther.

175g Fossil Wizard- main putter
172g Fossil Fuel Wizard- BH driving putter
174g RFF Wizard- turbo putts, shorter approaches, touch FH, scooby/OH approaches
175g Pro Pig (Factory Store)- FH driving putter, OS approach (BH and FH)
171g R-Pro Pig- less OS than Pro Pig, headwind putts

172g Big Z Comet- straight, floaty midrange
175g Jawbreaker Buzzz- straight FH approaches, Workhorse Buzzz
179g Titanium Buzzz- slightly more OS Buzzz
171g Lucid Verdict- FH mid & OS BH mid

175g G Line FD-BH fairway and FH turnover/ hyzer flip, grenades
175g S Line FD- workhorse fairway, distance tailwind driver
Metal Flake C Line FD- slightly more OS than the others
(2x)175g MOLF 1.4- Workhorse control drivers one more beat in than the other
175g Glow Champion Firebird- utility disc, headwind driver, skips, spike hyzer, FH rollers, grenades
175g Star Wraith- max D driver

Trying out the Verdict as a way to bridge the FH gap between Pigs and FD/OLFs. Snagged a used one that is fairly light at 171 grams so a heavier one might be a pretty good fit for the role. The 171 gram has a little bit less HSS than I was hoping for, but its pretty close to the midrange version of a Teebird flight. More HSS with a similar mild dependable fade is what I'm going for in this role. Buzz OS or maybe A Sentinel or RDG Gila (when they drop) i do prefer beadless but don't demand for FH shots.

I have also been giving the Buzzz an increased role, which is paying huge dividends in my attempt to throw backhand better. Been parking many shorter holes with the Jawbreaker the past couple weeks, its becoming one of my favorite discs in the bag. Playing BH only rounds is very enjoyable with the Buzzz, FD, and Wizards, where 4 months ago I would have embarrassed myself out there. I may even be open to removing the Comet & Verdict if I can fail in a more consistent FH with the Buzzz (will try this soon). The potential is there, as I played with a buddy who could lace a Buzzz incredibly far and straight on FH hyzer flips regardless of plastic type.

Last edited:
So I went ahead and pulled the Comet and Verdict out of the bag. I will be attempting to use only multiples of Buzzz or Rocs to cover my midrange. I will most likely stick with the Buzzz but have enjoyed the DX and beat up KC pro that I have in my casual round bag quite a bit. Either way I may need to get a more stable mold to bookend my choice of workhorse. Verdict, Mortar, Buzzz OS, Sentinel, and Tensor seem like potential fits.

I unfortunately lost my beat in Pig at The Aviary today. That was my oldest disc left in the bag, ace disc too. Luckily I have some extras, but nothing close to that one flight wise. Maybe one will have to see extra grenade/ OH duty in field sessions to beat out the stability. Doubt I'll try to replace the Pigs with a new mold, though the harp, zone, and breaker would be fun to try out. Especially since there are many more plastic options if I were to go that route

In the bag this past couple weeks:

3x Wizard (Fossil-in the circle, Fossil Fuel- off the tee, RFF-everything else)
2x Factory Store Pro Pig (one seasoned & one fresh)
2x Buzzz (Jawbreaker-workhorse & Elite X-backup)
2x S-FD (workhorse and backup)
2x MOLF 1.3 (one seasoned & one less seasoned)
1x Champion Sidewinder (new disc for max D backhands)
1x Glow Champion Firebird (utility)
2x Star Wraith (one seasoned & one fresh)

The past week I played fairly well, but had a problem crapping the bed after hot starts to my rounds. Last Sunday at Aviary tags, they did random draw for the first time in which I got paired with all Open level players (one is a grandmaster but they are all much more talented than I am, I'm mediocre). I started a bit shaky but settled in pretty well, even had control of the box for 4-5 holes which was completely unexpected. If it wasn't for a terrible 3 putt double bogey on #15, I would have came in second on the card (got third and was only one back of the top spot going into #15). I followed a couple days later with a disappointing round at Widefield in which I was -3 thru 10 and completely fell apart on the last 8 holes to finish +3 for the round. Very frustrating finish to what should have been a very nice round (-3 would tie my personal best). A few days after that I went back to Aviary, where I was -6 thru 12, had a couple hiccups but fought back to set a personal best there of -5. I was pleased that I didn't fold like I did a few days prior after some adversity. Finally on Friday, I had another hot start at my worst course in town, Cottonwood Creek, and quickly unravelled just before and after the turn finishing +3, which is about my average there (sadly, as most people in town are incredulous when they find out how badly I shoot there compared to the much harder Aviary and Widefield).

The only new additions are the Champ Sidewinder (157 grams) and a newer max weight yellow Star Wraith. The yellow wraith is noticeably more OS than my teal one that I have been using for a distance driver. I don't throw it very often at all, I'm not very used to its flight yet. The Sidewinder has been a great addition for distance backhand shots. While my BH form is still improving, my FH is easily 50-75 feet longer. My Sidewinder I got used from PIAS, its a light weight PFN champ and it is easily my farthest flying disc for BH. I don't use it too much, but its great for when I need distance, but don't have a good FH line to take. It would be nice if the Sidewinder was a touch heavier as it can be a bit too US at times, but I'm enjoying having it in the bag.

I have been losing discs left and right since my last update (3 Wizards, 1 FD, 2 OLF, 1 Firebird, 1 Sidewinder) so thats been a downer. At least this has allowed me to try out some new discs, or ones that I haven't thrown in quite a while. I'm really missing the seasoned RFF Wizard that I used for almost every upshot, but have a fossil flex that should beat into a solid replacement. Bag is still pretty similar:

3x Wizard (Fossil-in the circle, Fossil Fuel- off the tee, Fossil Flex-everything else)
1x DX Birdie (straight or big anhyzer upshots, 50 foot+ bids at the basket, my dog's water bowl)
2x Factory Store Pro Pig (one seasoned & one fresh OS putter)
1x BT Medium Harp (just trying one out)
2x Buzzz (Jawbreaker-workhorse mid & Elite X-backup)
2x FD (Metal Flake-FH fairway driver & S Line- BH fairway driver)
2x OLF (MOLF 1.3-more OS control driver & SOLF 1.4-workhorse control driver)
1x Sexton Glow Champion Firebird (utility)
1x Star Wraith (max D)

Right now I'm very happy with most of my bag, Wizards, Buzzz, FDs, and OLFs are a solid core to the bag. They are all molds that I can get use out of both FH and BH, I am planning on using multiples of these four molds and adding in complementary discs from there to cover any shots that I would be missing. I do like the other molds I'm bagging but I'm willing to try out new things to fill those roles potentially.

The Wraith I have is a nicely seasoned Star plastic, the only problem with it s the color, teal. Its quite the pain to find if you griplock it into thick rough. I have thrown other Wraiths, but this one is a bit less HSS and just bombs, which the other less seasoned ones did not do. I would like to try out the CD3, since they should have a similar flight to my teal Wraith out of the box. Or maybe I need to try beating in some pro or G star Wraiths to mimic the flight of this one.

Firebirds are a great utility disc. I probably shouldn't get too cute with my utility so I'll probably keep showing these. I prefer ones that are not board flat, slight dome but nothing to crazy.

I really love throwing Pigs, they were easily my favorite disc for the longest time. Now I find myself throwing them less and less, as my seasoned Pro is puddle topped and still pretty OS. It used to be my OS Pig, while I had the beat up R-Pro that I loved and lost a while back now. This lead me to finally try out a Harp. I have only thrown the Harp for one rainy round yesterday, so I can't judge the disc quite yet. I feel like the Harp is similar to what I'm looking for, with more glide like the beat R-pro Pig I lost. I also would like to try out a DGA Breaker or maybe a Ringer/Ringer GT at some point. Maybe the simplest answer is to buy a couple R-pro Pigs and beat the hell out of them with a round of grenades and thumbers.

The Birdie is a much maligned disc around here, even the lid enthusiasts rip on it, but its a solid disc...Easy to range, very straight flight, whats not to like? I have been using it pretty effectively for upshots and long bids at the basket. My only complaint with the Birdie is that it can land on edge and roll a mile away if you hit the basket or throw poorly. Otherwise its a great disc for soft anny approaches and get out of trouble shots. I should try out the Polecat and Proxy though, maybe all the Birdie critics are on to something.

3x Wizard (2x Fossil-in the circle & off the tee, Fossil Flex-upshots & straddle putts)
1x DX Birdie (straight or big anhyzer upshots, 50 foot+ bids at the basket, my dog's water bowl)
1x Zero Hard Pure (trying out)
2x Factory Store Pro Pig (OS tweener, one seasoned & one newer)
3x Buzzz (Jawbreaker-US Buzzz, Elite X-workhorse, Elite Z- OS & FH Buzzz)
1x Champion Bnashee (trying out)
2x FD (C Line-FH fairway driver & S Line- BH fairway driver)
1x Star Roadrunner (straight to US distance BH shots)
2x MOLF 1.3 (FH control drivers, one seasoned & one less seasoned)
2x Pro Starfire (FH max D OS distance BH, one beat & one new)

Updates:
Pro Starfire will potentially replace the Wraith as my distance driver of choice, they are just as long and are better suited for my backhand since they are less OS. While the Wraith always felt like a longer OLF, the Pro Starfire have a straighter overall flight path. The OLF & Starfire could be a better combination for a control/ distance driver setup. I also added the Star Roadrunner since my BH game is a work in progress. The Roadrunner gets much easier distance than my FD, and I can get it to fly a good variety of lines from slightly OS sweeping shots to turnovers. Once I can learn BH rollers I see this being a great US utility disc.

I have been having trouble settling on a OS utility disc and questioning the Firebird recently, which lead me to try out a Banshee. I feel like the lower speed helps me throw the Banshee more effectively than I could the Firebird as I am having an easier time with BH than with the firebird. I need to try some star firebirds to see if that would help, since they seem to be less OS than the Champ and Glow that I have tried, while still being markedly more OS than my OLFs.

Lately my putting has been complete garbage, and I am needing to refine my technique. While I never was a great putter, I have been mostly awful the past couple months. I have started to experiment with the Pure in Zero Hard plastic. So far its been perfect for long straddle putts and does pretty well off the tee. This could replace my Birdie, and want to continue to experiment with it as a putter next to my Wizards. Even if I don't wind up bagging the Pure, it is a really good disc, I have been impressed so far with it. Other putters I am interested in trying are the Omega & Omega AP and a Proxy. Ultimately I need to practice more but I want to try a couple putters out at least as the season winds down

1x Omega Super Soft 1.29(175g)- main putter & dangerous approach shots...experimenting with a new putter
1x Omega AP 1.15(175g)- trying out other plastics for Omegas
1x Zero Hard Pure (174g)- straight to turnover woodsy putter shots, straddle putts
1x Proton Soft Ion (174g)- trying out
1x Fossil Wizard (174g)- typical putter of choice, using as the "control" in my putter experiment

2x Factory Store Pro Pig (175g)- FH workhorse mids, BH spike hyzer, OS approach
1x Big Z Comet (172g)- straight to turnover midrange, downhill, tailwinds
1x Elite X Buzzz (178g)- workhorse mid, "control" for midrange experiment
1x DX Roc (175g)- trying out
1x KC Roc (178g)- trying out

1x S Line FD (175g)- turnover FH, workhorse BH fairway
1x C Line FD (170g)- straight FH fairway, slightly OS BH fairway
2x MOLF 1.3 (174g)- FH control drivers, one seasoned, one very seasoned
1x MOLF 1.1 (160g)- FH tailwind distance shots, OS BH control driver
1x SOLF 1.2 (150g)- tomahawks, grenades, water carry OLF
1x Champion Firebird (166g)- utility, headwind FH, big ship shots, spike hyzers
1x Sexton Firebird (175g)- utility
1x Tournament Sword (173g)- Distance driver BH & FH

Making some changes to the bag, experimenting with some molds that have been in and out of the bag previously. I have wanted to try some new discs out and have enjoyed some of the new molds. The Pure and Sword have been my favorite additions thus far, I think they will be a part of my main bag for a while at least.

Biggest changes thus far is me experimenting with new putters after over a year of dedication to the Wizard. I have carried at least 2-3 wizards for over a year now, and have decided to try some new putters for both driving and in the circle for this autumn. Thus far, I have been playing with Omegas and Ions and find myself liking them both very much. It would be overkill to have all those molds together (wizard, omega, ion, pure) so I want to give all of them a fair chance and determine which of the three are my favorite for putting and which I prefer for driving. Ideally I can pick 2 or 3 and settle on those as my putter The Ion is a great driving putter, which I still need to give a fair shake in putting duty. The Omega has been great in the circle, but I definitely prefer the Wizard off the tee. By switching up putters I feel that I have been forced to focus on my technique more, and even if I decide to go back to Wizards only this will have been a worthwhile experiment.

I'm also playing around with Rocs, Firebirds, and the Comet again...all molds that I have enjoyed using in the past but were passed over for other choices previously. I do love throwing Buzzz, however I may be better served throwing two molds, one more US and the other more OS. This would allow me to cover a larger variety of lines with the same number of discs. Firebirds take back over utility duty after a windy round showed my why I need the beef back in my bag. Banshee from previous post is great but I was afraid to throw it in big winds, given its a light weight disc. I can use my 150g SOLF to replicate the Banshee shots, while using the Firebirds as a more OS utility role. I may not keep both Firebirds in the bag, mostly have them for comparison sake.

I will probably slim down my bag after my experiments, but I just recently got a backpack bag so I have the space and may as well use it while the season winds down. I will probably want to add a Roadrunner again as I'm missing that disc since I lost it

Last edited:
1x Omega Super Soft 1.29(175g)- main putter & dangerous approach shots
1x Omega Super Soft 1.46(175g)- jump putts & approach shots
1x Zero Hard Pure (174g)- straight to turnover driving putter, straddle putts
1x Proton Soft Ion (174g)- straight to fade driving putter & FH rollers

2x Factory Store Pro Pig (175g)- one beat & one seasoned...FH workhorse mids, BH spike hyzer, OS approach shots, headwind putts, short utility
1x Big Z Comet (172g)- straight to turnover midrange, downhill, tailwinds
1x Elite X Buzzz (177g)- workhorse BH mid
1x Elite Z Buzzz (177g)- slightly more OS than elite X, straight FH approaches,

1x S Line FD (175g)- turnover FH, workhorse BH fairway
2x MOLF 1.3 (174g)- FH control drivers, one seasoned, one very seasoned
1x MOLF 1.1 (160g)- FH tailwind distance shots, OS BH control driver
1x SOLF 1.2 (150g)- tomahawks, grenades, water carry OLF
1x Champion Firebird (166g)- utility, headwind FH, big ship shots, spike hyzers
1x Sexton Firebird (175g)- slightly less OS than Champ, utility
1x Tournament Sword (173g)- FH max distance driver
1x VIP King (169g)- BH max distance driver, trying out

Still trying to decide on my midrange setup. The comet is my favorite mid, but will need something else more OS to pair with it. The Roc is an obvious choice, but I'm struggling for consistency with it. I know that is my fault and not the discs, but I find it negatively impacting my confidence when throwing them. A couple Buzzz may not be stable enough to pair with a Comet, as they are susceptible to getting pushed around in high winds. Maybe I will throw the Wasp back in my bag and roll with the Comet/Wasp combo.

I'd prefer to limit the number of mid/putter/tweener molds I carry, and am currently at 6. I would like to trim the fat down to 4-5 molds. Pigs are here to stay, and the Pure is quickly becoming my favorite driving putter. My Pure encroaches on midrange distances, and flies very straight at a range of power levels, so I am inclined to keep it as well. The Ion has been a great disc. As someone who loves the flight of Wizards, the Ion has been a natural transition for me. I always hated the flight of premium plastic Wizards compared to the base plastic versions. With the Proton Soft Ion, I have found a premium plastic option that has the flight of my beloved Wizards...They also make for great FH rollers. I do love my Omegas, and actually hit an ace with the Omega AP from last update recently. However, I feel like they are mudding the waters when it comes to disc selection. I should either commit to the Omega or roll with a Pure/ Wizard or Pure/Ion combo. Not really sure which way to go with that, but I may just get a second Pure and Ion since the season is winding down.

I'm very happy with my driver setup. OLF/ Firebird will be my control setup for the foreseeable future, FD is still great. I will probably add in a Roadrunner, traded my newer one for the King yesterday. Nothing wrong with the Roadrunner, but my buddy wanted me to have the King after trying it out yesterday, and I didn't want to part with my other discs.

My other task for the offseason will be to develop a better distance BH game. So far the best discs I have thrown for distance BH are the Tern, King, and a Philo Destroyer (ones I can readily hit 350 with). I plan on trying a few others out, as I would like to stretch my BH distance out to rival my FH. I am getting better throwing consistently BH, but if I need to get max distance on a hole I am pretty much forced to throw FH at the moment. I would like to close the distance gap, so that I am able to tee off on longer holes BH or FH interchangeably. Right now a good pull FH with my Sword averages about 370, consistently can get up to 400 for max...BH shots are a good 40-50 feet short for both average and max D.

3 Omegas (2x Supersoft, 1x Quantum)
2 Pro Pigs
1 Big Z Comet
2 Buzzz (Elite Z, Jawbreaker)
1 MJLS
1 Champ Roadrunner
3 MOLF
2 Firebird (1 Champ, 1 Sexton)
1 Champ Tern
1 VIP Sword