• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey newbie reviewers, it's not the course, its you!

I mean, do we get to throw out DFW reviews because they are all terrible at disc golf? Like, you must play 1000 holes outside of Texas before we trust that you know how good a course can really be?

This seems legit.

We need to have skill level added to reviews. I don't review on the basis that the system is flawed. (((Or maybe I sit down to write a review and realize I can not be unbiased)or maybe I feel like I can't say a course is heavily wooded unless I play in other states that are actually heavily wooded) or maybe I'm lazy).

Also, drive by reviews that have 0 helpful reviews need to be deleted. And you can only review a course if you throw 300 ft and can do a cock push-up. Sonic, you're never gonna make it.

Not so legit.

We need to have skill level added to reviews. I don't review on the basis that the system is flawed. (((Or maybe I sit down to write a review and realize I can not be unbiased)or maybe I feel like I can't say a course is heavily wooded unless I play in other states that are actually heavily wooded) or maybe I'm lazy).

Nice triple parentheses.

Critical thinking is an important skill when evaluating anything, disc golf course reviews included. A part of this process is the consideration and attribution of weight to the opinions offered, in this case the reviewer's experience. No one's review is unbiased, rather reviews are useful tools to gain information about a particular situation. Reviews often tell one more about the reviewer and their system of 'values' rather than what your experience with a particular course might be...

This site's system is certainly not perfect, but it does offer others the chance to voice their opinions, hone their ideas/presentation and connect with others of similar interests. The OP raises a decent point, that being how much weight does a 'noob's' opinion merit? I share the OP's sentiment that other's would be more 'homework conscientious' but what's a body to do?

Or more simply, common sense dictates one take everything with a grain of salt...

I mostly write reviews as a warning to others. Even as a noob I knew Water Works in Ypsilanti was a crapfest.

I'd kinda like to see the reviews that inspired the OP. I can imagine something like "0.5 out of 5. This course almost made me never play my second round because there were trees in the way and even a stupid lake on the course!" -BossFlicker92

Overall, I agree with the OP. The points: 1) Don't use reviews as a forum to bash a course that kicked your butt. 2) Don't rate a course lower because you stink. Ultimately, 3) Reviews should contain useful information for potential players/visitors.

That said, I wrote several reviews as a very new player, and I'm sure they weren't the best. Nevertheless, they were potentially useful to players both below and above my skill level. I don't regret writing them even though one of those courses kicked my butt again last week, from the short tees.

I do think course reviews are best when done by someone who has played the course a few times (but taking visitors into account while writing). I also think the numbers are fine as a frame of reference but obviously subjective for many reasons. IMO, the worst reviews are the ones with very little text and nothing different from the other reviews. I'm sure experienced players are perfectly capable of writing those. Overall, DGCR reviews (and ratings) are very helpful. I have a total newb friend who's now addicted to disc golf and spent a very short time in Portland. Based largely on DGCR ratings, he chose to drive to Milo instead of staying in Portland for something like Blue Lake. He didn't even get to finish 18 holes, but loved it.

1* baskets
2* tee signs and pads
3* course flow/diversity and maintenence
4* trash bins and water spout/facilities
5* park busyness/safety concerns

That's generally how I intend to review.

I travel for work and get to play many courses, sometimes just once or twice. It's the large number that i have played that leads me to believe that I am fair when I've left a review or just recall it in my head.

I typically go away from <3* rated courses.

It seems people are really stingy about giving the 5*

In reading this thread, I realize I need to review more courses. Have not for quite a while. I'm savvy and can throw a couple words together on the paper for other people's to read and assist on making judgment calls. Plenty of pride with a strong scent of arrogance as well.

If this is turning into a complaint session..

... I would like change from a single five star rating system to a few categories. Maybe five categories, throw out the high and low and average them for the singular number listing. )Olympic judging style)
Maybe park/course amenities, signage and flow, variety of terrain, ... Stuff like that. Force the reviewer to give 1-5 integers in 5 or 6 categories. Perhaps use as new filter searches. It might push some honesty in locals or every course in the world is so awesome reviews.

... I would like to see local campimg info as more of a focus personally in reviews, links, photos, and course info. There are a number of fine campgrounds abutting good courses that barely get mentioned. I am happy with the "camping nearby" in the course description. Just bummed when locals don't do me a flavor and give me a lead of overnighting near their course.

I love disc golf course review.
@@) hugs ( @@

Last edited:
Remember that you can filter the reviews so that only the ones from trusted reviewers can be seen. This should eliminate the "newb effect ".

Remember that you can filter the reviews so that only the ones from trusted reviewers can be seen. This should eliminate the "newb effect ".

Or even just by experience, if you want reviews from people who have played at least 10 courses.

tl:dr

Who freaking cares who reviews what. Let them say what they want regardless of experience. If the person reading the reviews has more than 2 brain cells to rub together the newbie reviews stick out like a sore thumb. Click "not-helpful" and move on. Eventually the newbs will catch a clue with all the thumb downs and revise how they review or quit doing reviews altogether.

Why don't we require a "helpful" rating and more helpful than not average on each review for it to count towards the overall rating? That way people can leave their crappy reviews, and only the helpful ones would sway the rating.

^^^That seems like a good idea: it would mitigate some of the homerism that inflates the undeserved standings of some courses.

All reviewers are Ams, right? Has anyone accepted cash for their reviews?
Sometimes it seems that some trading of handjobs is going on. :rolleyes:

Hey Advanced Player, It's Not the Course, It's You

One of my favorite observations is reviews based on skill level per say. I've read one to many reviews by an advanced player only to arrive at said course and find a playing field with a couple of shade trees. The course is good cause a) I shredded it, and b) I shredded it because it had big open holes where I could air out my discs with no technical skills. My favorites are ones where there's a sign that shows a somewhat technical fairway, but if you look a little, there's a much easier more direct line.

A few years ago a guy gave a lame review to my home course (Castle Hayne) and a 1.0 rating (I think). This on a course that has maintained a 4.25+ rating since the beginning of DGCR. His entire review was about how bad he played and how he was "hassled" by some locals. So I called him out and he got all butt-hurt because I felt the need to explain to him what a course review is. Admin ended up pulling his review and he sorta apologized to me but not very genuine. The whole thing just hit me wrong at the time and I'm glad I did it. Screw free speech and screw him. Ahhhhhh...

Haha, scrolled through some negative reviews, they are a hoot. "Cons: Trees". lol

Pros: -Concrete tees on every hole.
-Multiple pin locations that are pretty easy to know the difference between.
-Safe environment for the family.
-Tee markers provide a good description.
-The tower pin placement on hole 8 was interesting.
-There was a creek, but the water was almost all dried up. I imagine it would only be a problem after a huge storm.
Cons: -TREES! Being a relative newcomer to the sport, the trees gave me fits all day. I understand this is desirable for "technical and experienced" disc golfers, but the trees made my experience miserable.
-While being interesting, the tower pin placement on hole 8 was harder than it needed to be in my opinion. Maybe I am just new and things like this are the norm.
Other Thoughts: I traveled here as a gift to myself for my birthday to try a course other than my home course. I had high hopes based on previous reviews, but this was not worth the trip in my opinion.

If you are hard core, experienced, and a good technical disc golfer, I say go for it. If you are a beginner, I would look for other options.

I was the exact opposite when I first started playing. The course I started on is a great beginner course but not a good course overall, so every time I went to a better course I rated it higher than I probably should.

Now, even though I've been playing for 5+ years and consider myself a pretty good golfer, I rarely review courses. Don't feel like taking the time out of my day just so course snobs or critic snobs can downvote it because I didn't have the same opinion they did.