• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hi, Playing 3.25 Months, and I'm an Addict

constantlyej

Bogey Member
Hello all.

KC/Lawrence thrower, and improving every week. I play around 4-6 rounds a week and have recently invested in practice chains for work on putting in my backyard. I'm only two tournaments deep, but I did them before I was consistently breaking the 300 foot mark. I am looking forward to getting my longer drives down consistent to 350-375 and in the fairway before I go back out to compete. I love the sport, love the people, and am always down for a round regardless of the weather.

Practicing a lot has helped me catch up to my friends who've been playing for years, and have even gotten my scores down in the mid 50's regularly.

Anyway, that's me... I play in the KC/Lawrence area. And I'm an Addict.

This is my introduction- I welcome great conversations and unsolicited advice. Good to be aboard.

Welcome to the addiction. Kudos on your fast improvement! I try and do motivated putting practice for at least 10 days prior to any tournaments I play (usually something like 1025 or Scott Pappa's putting routine) help tremendously and really can even the playing field with those guys who bomb 400 but can't consistently hit 15 footers.

Compete while your improving, if you wait until "after you've improved" and you have a poor showing, you'll just get discouraged. Keep practicing, but keep playing competitively.

Hi, Playing 3.25 Months, and I'm an Addict
Yet another victim claimed. Watch out for signs you're being drawn in deeper:

1) You've played every course around you, so you start travelling farther just to play other courses. Eventually, you find yourself...
2) Course bagging.
3) You start referring to discs as sweet or even sexy looking. Usually leads to...
4) Fondling plastic.

Once you start fondling, forget about it - you've officially got it bad.

My putting is far from pretty for sure. I am about 60-65% from 10ft, down to 30% from 15. Unless I get a very good approach, I either get paralysis by analysis or straight up yips.

Thanks for the advice- I purchased a basket, so hopefully I can make some big strides over the next few months.

And, I have to admit, I have ditched the teddy bear for the Star Wraith in bed a few times... fortunately, my wife has started and has been playing with me about twice a week. She has disc golf dreams already too... so she doesn't make fun of me (too much) when I am holding my disc when I fall asleep.

dg anonymous anyone?

I have fallen victim to this sport as well.......i am flying out to see some family in sioux falls south dakota this afternoon. i am bringing the clothing on my back and my carry on will be my disc bag! Looking forward to seeing the course @ tuthill park....I mean, my family and stuff.;)

Welcome aboard! Like you, I too am a recent addict. Wish I could say my improvement was as good as yours! Despite playing at least 9 holes a day (on average) for the past two months, I'm still struggling. Nevertheless, I'm not discouraged....I just love this game. Can't wait to play in my first tournament. Glad to have you, brother!

As soon as I posted my welcome, my past 3 rounds have been 63,61,62... I blamed the wind for the 63, but the last two rounds, I blame on just being an average n00b who missed too many automatic putts. Oh well, perfection comes in increments... and I don't even plan on making it to perfect.

Yet another victim claimed. Watch out for signs you're being drawn in deeper:

1) You've played every course around you, so you start travelling farther just to play other courses. Eventually, you find yourself...
2) Course bagging.
3) You start referring to discs as sweet or even sexy looking. Usually leads to...
4) Fondling plastic.

Once you start fondling, forget about it - you've officially got it bad.

Oh no... I have all these symptoms! Should I check myself in to Plastic Rehab???

Oh and welcome to the sport dude! Kudos on the improvements! You've already got 2 more tourneys than me under your belt and I've been playing for a few years lol

^^ I have had pretty bad scores because the pacing forces a little bit of a change of my typical pace with buddies, but I enjoy tournament play. I am sure that 2014 will be a little bit better for me now that I am starting to close in on what discs work for me- as well as gaining muscle memory. I don't ever plan on being a pro, I just want to get to the point where I am not the bottom man in a group of four.

And today- I found myself "course bagging" for the first time... playing a heavily wooded, rocky, and hilly course. Tossed in a few more DX discs, dropped off a few distance drivers, and added a couple mid-range discs. Paid off for the most part, I threw a 60... the last time I played this course it was in my first month and I threw a 72.