• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High stakes disc golf

Hector Chain

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I am in fantasy football leagues that have modest buyins ($50 or so), and I've heard of high stakes leagues where the entry fee is in the tens of thousands and higher.

So it got me thinking of the comparison to disc golf: what is the highest stakes round you've played, would be willing to play, or have heard someone else play?

Could be skins, total score for the round, whatever.

I play for $1 a stroke with a buddy. Neither of us is allowed to cash out until we are 10 strokes ahead and we play with the lead carrying from each round/weekend/tourney etc. Over $100 has gone back and forth. we are close to even over the long run. We also play with a $10 ace payout and $5 black ace pay.

I did hear the rumor of some skins games in Ohio for a few hundred per hole. It was a must win with no hole to hole carry. This may just be a tall tale as I did not witness it.

My highest game was a .50 cent skins wolf with 7 people. It ended up rolling over to the last hole and I had wolf. I had a 70-80 foot put and a partner to split $40+, unfortunately we both missed :( That would have been my highest 'high stake' game to date

ugh...

My highest stakes game? a round of beer. I can never get my friends to put stakes on a round. I offer them strokes and match play, but can never get a round. What do I have to do? I usually win our rounds, what are other ways I can even it out so I can take all my friends money?

When my buddy and I play skins, we each start with a roll of quarters. Each hole is 0.50, except 2 holes (usually #9 and #18 to make it easy) that are $1.00. Your roll starts in your bag, but once a skin(s) is/are won, the quarters go into your pocket...so you may be up a few bucks, but you've got that much more weight in your drawers! Unfortunately, we're both pretty evenly matched in terms of skills, so the most either of us has ever walked off with was $11.50...in quarters.

That said, that's pretty high stakes for me. I'm not much of a bettin' man.

When my buddy and I play skins, we each start with a roll of quarters. Each hole is 0.50, except 2 holes (usually #9 and #18 to make it easy) that are $1.00. Your roll starts in your bag, but once a skin(s) is/are won, the quarters go into your pocket...so you may be up a few bucks, but you've got that much more weight in your drawers! Unfortunately, we're both pretty evenly matched in terms of skills, so the most either of us has ever walked off with was $11.50...in quarters.

That said, that's pretty high stakes for me. I'm not much of a bettin' man.

that would annoy the hell out me wearing athletic shorts

I have played a couple rounds for 20.00 a person with about 5 or 6 people. winner take all. typically I play $5 a round or dollar for the front nine, dollar on the back and dollar overall.

One of the things I really love about DG is, in my neck of the woods, little or no gambling.

I've been a degenerate gambler most of my life until the last 3-4 yrs. I played pool/billiards for 40+ yrs. on a daily basis with money wagered most of the time. When I was 14, I started gambling .25/.50 cent 9 ball games and it escalated real quick from there. In my early thirties, I quit my job and hit the road and hustled for three yrs. $500/$1000 sets were very common. I played a few 10K sets during that time.

But, eventually, the gambling ruined the game for me. Playing cheap ($20 a game) or for free was the most boring thing on the planet. So, I quit for 5 yrs. and didn't start playing again until my love for the game came back.

I won't let that happen to me in this sport even though I play with some of my pool playing buddies once a week. It's kind of funny that at the poolroom, the same guys want to bet something but,out on the course, the subject has never come up.

I love the passion I have for the game and I won't let gambling screw that up like it did in pool.

Woodpecker

I think you need to change your name to Fast Woody.

LOL.

Naw, that wouldn't work. The other day, I mowed the grass without a shirt on and I got sunburned. When I came in the house, I complained to my girlfriend the skin on my back had gotten kind of stiff. She thought about for a second and said, "Next week, try mowing it with your pants off!"

Woodpecker

We put a buck on the line at the ace race, and then the guy who won it put it back in for another buck...he got both the aces but that is about as high stakes as this broke mofo gets.

My highest stakes game? a round of beer. I can never get my friends to put stakes on a round. I offer them strokes and match play, but can never get a round. What do I have to do? I usually win our rounds, what are other ways I can even it out so I can take all my friends money?
Daniels and I usually go $ on front 9, $5 on back, $5 (or 12pk) on total score... and maybe throw in a few $5 closest drive to basket also. We should have group pools next time at Highbridge or if you guys make it to Flip City.

Closest drive to basket is tough to decide unless it's pretty clear-cut, though.. even if we paced it off, we usually disagreed "your paces were bigger" haha.

LOL.

Naw, that wouldn't work. The other day, I mowed the grass without a shirt on and I got sunburned. When I came in the house, I complained to my girlfriend the skin on my back had gotten kind of stiff. She thought about for a second and said, "Next week, try mowing it with your pants off!"

Woodpecker

I'm glad you got the joke. I wonder how many did... seems only a few pool players have seen The Hustler.

Some kid challenged me to $20 a stroke because he said my bag full of discs was just for show. After 9 holes I was up 11 strokes. He never paid me and I haven't seen him since. :|

Some kid challenged me to $20 a stroke because he said my bag full of discs was just for show. After 9 holes I was up 11 strokes. He never paid me and I haven't seen him since. :|

At least you walked away with your pride! I probably would have folded under the pressure. lol

One of the new guys in our club was running off about how good he was getting so at league night he challenged me to buck a stroke, handicap adjusted. My HC is 7.2, his was 21 at the time

I still took $11 off him lol.

We had an informal event going on at North Wood County Park, Marshfield, Wisconsin; more than 13 years ago now. Anyhow, after our two tourney rounds on Saturday; a local guy came up and challenged our group in mass (more than 20 people) to $20 a head for 18. Many of us knew we were pretty talented; and looked at each other; like WTF? I didn't play; I was beat from the day (and night before's activities); but nearly 10 guys took him up on it. He lost to about seven of them; and he was a pretty decent playa' (he and his partner came in the next year and took second in the doubles tourney); but, was down about $100. The guys let him pay out in plastic and he eventually became friends with all of us.