• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HighBridge.....A few Questions

Matthew boals

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Private Property or State Park? With 7 courses; Granite,Gold,Bear,Whitetail,Woodland Greens,Blueberry Hill,Chestnut Hills. All separate 18 hole courses? Or are there two sets of tees on some 18 hole courses? Has/Will the Pro worlds been played there? Thanks to anyone that has that info.!

Pro worlds was there in 2007

Last edited:
Well, thanks for that! Are they trying for it again?

It's a private facility that was once going to be a ball golf course; thankfully, the owner went in the right direction with DG!

There are some YouTube vids of the 2007 Pro Worlds, some DVDs too. John Jokinen, the owner of Highbridge, told me recently that he would only host another Worlds if he didn't "get screwed" like he did in 2007. I think he'd lean more towards Am Worlds, if anything.

I doubt it. I don't think John is a big fan of the PDGA anymore. There will be other tournaments though. I think there is a plan for a tourney where you qualify one of three weekends before a final at the end of the summer (mid September) this year.

Right now, I don't think Bear or Whitetail have all the holes in, and Chestnut is only a 9 hole course so far. There are two sets of tees on Gold, and extra tees to play the Granberry and Blueridge layouts that combine Granite and Blueberry with some alternate tees that aren't used on either.

Right now, I don't think Bear or Whitetail have all the holes in, and Chestnut is only a 9 hole course so far. There are two sets of tees on Gold, and extra tees to play the Granberry and Blueridge layouts that combine Granite and Blueberry with some alternate tees that aren't used on either.

So actually with the combo course or courses you might have the option of more than 10 when he thinks he is finished or runs out of land. Almost to 300 mashnut, you disc golfing machine.:) I would consider that a milestone, so don't let course number 300 be some mostly flat lightly wooded 9 holer. Make it a Doozy.

Do you know when he plans on getting everything he wants too do done? 10 18 hole courses!? I know where I'm going on my week long vacation!

Just to clarify some things about Highbridge:

The Bear is being completed this week, as all of the baskets are on location. The fairways are going to be a bit rough but that will happen until it gets more play. The Whitetail front nine will be playable in the next week (first six holes are in the ground now), and the back nine should be playable later this summer.

Both Granberry and Blueridge (which are hybrid courses of Granite Ridge and Blueberry) have 6 extra tees for each course, but John is expanding so that each course will have 9 new, distinct holes.

The back nine for Chestnut Grove has been designed and the tees are in place (and the baskets are there), so the back nine should be in the ground in the next week, which include the largest disc golf basket in the world located in the mowed area of the top of the hill.

As for ten courses - Whitetail, Bear, Gold, Blueberry, Granite Ridge, Woodland, and Chestnut will be the original 18 hole courses (with two more 18 hole courses east of the campground beginning work next year, with John saying they will be twin, wooded courses)...which equates to 9 original courses. Blueridge and Granberry make 11 (which once again includes 9 new holes for each course, with 6 being in the ground right now). The Crown Jewel course is also currently playable, which includes holes all over the hill at Highbridge, including 3 holes that aren't found on any other course (located at the bottom of the hill).

In addition, White Gold (white tees on the Gold Course) really are a lot different than the long tees on the regular course, and you of course can play the Final World 9 course. That makes 14 courses, with another plan to add a hybrid course in the future. That would give you 15 courses (not all 18 hole courses), with 9 original 18 hole courses.

Well, thanks for that! Are they trying for it again?

Coming from John himself about the Worlds: "I will never say never, but...."

I doubt it. I don't think John is a big fan of the PDGA anymore. There will be other tournaments though. I think there is a plan for a tourney where you qualify one of three weekends before a final at the end of the summer (mid September) this year.

As for other tournaments, look for an announcement very soon on John's website and they will be posted on the site here. As a teaser, John did get an insurance company to agree to write him a policy for a hole-in-one on a car. You heard that right - during one of the tournaments on one of the holes, a hole-in-one will score you a car.

As for some more future plans, John has plans to turn his old wood factory into a disc golf motel (I saw it and it has great potential). He really has a lot going on out there. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. John is sending me an update this weekend with some pictures regarding the Whitetail and Bear courses.

Just as a quick teaser - The Whitetail course (of which I have walked the design) looks awesome. Hole 2 will be an 1100 foot beast and there will also be a hole that will utilize the lake near Granite number 7 near the dam. Also, The Bear course has the potential to be the hardest course in the world. Think Idlewild, but harder. Hole 18 is going to be over 1000 feet through the woods, uphill, curving to the left. It should easily be a par 6....

Do you know when he plans on getting everything he wants too do done? 10 18 hole courses!? I know where I'm going on my week long vacation!

See my previous post - but the Bear course will be in the ground this week, but the rough will be ROUGH. The Whitetail course has been cleared, but its also rough. To get both of those courses up to playability will realistically take into next year. In addition, John is going to change up the design on the last two holes of Blueberry. John had asked for some input and my simple suggestion was to extend hole 17's tee to 18's basket, and then create a new hole 18. He said that was the old design but people didn't like the old hole 18. So it looks like he is going to move the tee on the new 18 towards Blueberry 1, and end near Granite 18. In my opinion this is going to extremely enhance the finish on Blueberry Hill, because throwing over that rock face from 17's tee is just such a cool shot.

As for the twin courses I mentioned, those haven't been designed yet (unlike the Whitetail, which is fully designed), and John doesn't have a lot of staff on hand, so we can probably expect those two courses in 2012 sometime. However, some trails are etched out in that area so it won't take as long as expected.

Last edited:
Great summary Johto. Only one thing has been forgotten. John, in all his glorious ADD-disc golf adventures, also has plans for a Super Gold course. He will be installing another set of even more difficult tees on the Gold course.

I personally don't care for the hybrid courses up there consisting of alternate tees playing to the original pins. I think John should focus on the new courses. Talk of twin courses east of the campground is news to me, and exciting! But I really have no desire to play BlueRidge or GranBerry, which is the front or back nine of the regular old courses, and then a couple alternate tees on the opposite course (Blueberry and Granite ridge intersect very near each other at each of their halfway points, that's where the hybrid idea comes in - playing 9 alternate tees from Blueberry, then playing the back nine of Granite Ridge). This has no appeal to me. Alternate tees all over the course on all 18 holes would have a bit more appeal, but then it's still just playing one of the other sets of tees on a course with multiple tees - only the initial 50% of the hole at most is different, the fairway and green is all the same. NOT my cup o tea. What has even less appeal to me is playing "Crown Jewel", which is 15 holes scattered across the Blueberry, Granite Ridge, and Golf courses, with 3 new original holes created to be transitions between the courses. I've played all those 15 holes while playing each of the courses, there are only 3 new holes. I don't necessarily care about a different score or experience had by playing a few holes from various courses. You could get ridiculous with this type of idea - make a 'super course' of only the great holes around your city, play 6 holes on course A, 6 on course B, and 6 on course C, the holes don't even have to be in order, just pick out the best 6.

Anyway, despite these oddball creations, if you get there this summer yet there will be five distinct 18 hole courses and a 9 hole course. Some of another 18 hole course will be in the ground (Whitetail). The 9 hole may or may not be expanded to 18 by then. And far off in the works are plans for two more 18 hole courses.

The sheer volume of holes is astounding, but it wouldn't mean nearly as much without the quality of courses. There is never enough time to get your fix up there. Two weekends already this year, and now that Bear is going to be in, I guess I'm headed back in three weeks. Awesome.

Some friends and I spent a weekend at Hybrid Hills, er, Highbridge Hills, shortly after the 2007 Worlds.

What did the PDGA do to make John upset? What went wrong?

(For the record, we had a great time at Highbridge--it was an all-around positive experience.)

There were some money issues; as there almost always are when a big event comes to town. Owners/local course maintainers/designers are almost always promised big and then "more official" persons end up benefiting more than these persons. Part of the trouble, is that there are always bigger expectations than are warranted. See the thread about the income the town thought they were going to make from am worlds this year. (Not that it is really related to this issue; but simply to underscore that there are always persons involved who are expecting a big wind fall, which usually does not happen). When our city hosted Am Worlds, there were persons who ended up disillusioned as well. These big events are really a ton of work to pull off; add the fact that in High Bridge's case; there is a huge amount of private land involved; plus all the work necessary; and it compounds the issues.

I'll have to keep working out! Looks like a week long vacation is planned. How big will be the basket be?

There were some money issues; as there almost always are when a big event comes to town. Owners/local course maintainers/designers are almost always promised big and then "more official" persons end up benefiting more than these persons. Part of the trouble, is that there are always bigger expectations than are warranted. ...

Thanks for the clarification. It's really too bad that there's mixed expectations. I would assume that a major disc golf tournament wouldn't be profitable for anyone except the people actually collecting the entry fees, and even then I would expect it to be not-very profitable. :-(

I liked John (the owner of Highbridge) and loved what he did with his land. I sure hope he can continue to keep offering it. And hope that the sport continues to attract enough attention to make these tournaments more profitable for everyone (through advertising).

Latest posts