• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hippodrome and Hogback: Insights on Playing Blind

Kingery

Par Member
I'm considering going to North Augusta, SC in November for the Easter Am Championships, which will be played at the Hippodrome and Hogback. The downside is that I think I'm going to have to play them both blind. Any advice from those who have played these courses or from those who have played challenging courses blind in PDGA tourneys? I know to get there early, walk/jog it with two or three discs in hand, pay attention to distances, etc., but if there's any other advice you all might want to chip in, I'd appreciate it. I really don't want to destroy my rating and have a bad showing.

I'm especially interested in advice from those who know those courses well. (Something to the effect of "Make sure to practice putting on holes X and Y . . ." because there are some strange/interesting quirks out there.)

Thanks!

Having played there only once last year (I will be there again next week), about the only advice I can give is to be sure to watch the changing mandos and OB's. Also the tee pads are natural, so appropiate footwear is advised.
Sorry I could not help more, good luck and great shooting!

I realize this is slightly off topic. But, is there a link to registration/details for this event? I went on pdga.com. And, all I see is TD Name and phone.

Thanks!

I have played there several times and there really won't be that many holes on the Hippodrome course that will be too hard to figure out. Most of it is relatively open, just figure out what disc it will take for each distance and where to land if you can't reach the pin. Also the wind is usually raging here and not always in the same direction so be prepared to throw into a headwind/tailwind/crosswind.

The hogback is very wooded but most of the holes are short enough that it won't be too hard to figure out (just hard to throw well at all lol). There are a few holes with 2 routes that you will want to figure out which one to take and a few holes with fast greens that you'll want to take note of.

I also heard there are new courses in the ground there now?? See you there!

All good advice. Thanks a lot. I had heard the OBs are tough. And Theli420, I'm actually not sure about the registration. I'd call the TD since the number is up there. I'm going with a local business owner who sponsors a handful of players in my area (Ace Hole Gear), so hopefully he's already called the TD. (I really should check on that.)

It's still there. I think there might be four courses by the time of the Eastern Amateur event.

Rodeo Hills baskets were not in when I was there on Sept 30. I'm thinking Pete may only have some courses playable at any one time until he has baskets for all of them.

I'll see yall there, going to be my first tourney in over 6 months due to the seasonal job that I work. Does anyone have any information on this tourney? How to sign up? What divisions will be offered? Entry costs?

And does anyone know a good place to camp that is close to the courses?

As far as I know, the Rodeo Hills courses were only put up temporarily for the past two Collegiate National Championships. I've played all three courses down there the past two years, and the most common thread is wind. When I played in April, I threw Rhyno, Glow Buzzz, Whippet, Firebird. I literally had ZERO opportunity to safely play a Valkyrie.

People have already mentioned the technicalities of the courses--short/long wooded/open. I would only caution you about taking the immediately obvious fairway on the hogback. There are a LOT of skip hyzer routes on that course for RHBH because of the amount of pine needles on the ground. If you play it correctly, you can turn pars into birdies by playing skips well. Don't count on this as much on the Hippo.

Hey, all. The PDGA Events page for the Easter AM Championship now has a Web address where you can register via Disc Golf U. The address is http://www.discgolfunited.com/disc-golf-tournaments/tournament-dashboard.cfm/tourn_id/257

$61 base registration for Men's Advanced, $51 Intermediate, $51 Recreational. Also, there's a $10 charge for a shirt (optional), and $10 for lunch both days (also optional). The downloadable flyer says there's a $7 option for a custom event disc, but it wasn't mentioned in the online registration. Field is limited to first 144.

Latest posts