• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hitting tight fairways during tournament play

leftyone

Birdie Member
Just curious to see what you guys use as far as strategy/technique and equipment when your playing a tournament with in your opinion tight fairways. I played one this weekend that was wide open for the first round and tight for the second round. I struggled quite a bit during round two.

Probably the only thing that I had going for me last weekend was the Comet. Straight straight straight, distance a close second.

I agree with the "control first, distance second"... Depending on how tight, I would either hyzer flip a mamba, hyzer flip a leopard, or throw a roc

Practice, practice, practice!
Tight fairways can be your best friend in a tournament because so much of the field is going to struggle.
As far as a strategy goes I try to take advantage of the fh. You can launch a fh shot only 2 feet off the ground well in excess of 300'. If you hit a tree no big deal the odds are good you'll hit the ground before you get too far off the fairway.

If you don't have a workable fh and have to throw bh its best to keep it neutral and slow, axis/buzzz SS type discs. You don't lose much overall D and gain control.

I strongly recommend adding a fh to your game if you don't have one.

I slow way down and just use 1 or 2 step run ups to keep my eyes on the target line as long as possible. If I can get through the tree gap, any more distance is gravy on that shot so I'm happy. I use my Stalker, Valkyrie, or Roc for those shots. Minimum fade or skip off line.

Throw your straight shot with the disc you throw straight shots with just like all other rounds that are not during a tournament.
Why would it be different during a tournament?

I just throw like I always do. My run up is already more of a walk up because most courses around here have lots of trees and tight fairways. If you don't usually change your style for tight fairways don't do it during a tournament.

I usually keep my full run up because it helps me release the same way every time, but I throw very relaxed. The less I try to put any power on it the straighter and farther it goes. (This is just my normal wooded course strategy, never played in a tourney.)

A mamba.....really? tight fairway + turniest driver ever invented....

FAIL. I do agree with the leopard though.

That isn't an uncommon story depending on the courses you've been playing, and what you've been focusing on in terms of DG skills. Many of the Texas players I meet can bomb a big wide open hole, but struggle with hitting gaps and shaping lines with a mid-range on a tight course. Players in Missouri tend to be the opposite - control is the name of the game and 350ft is 'enough'.

It sounds like you should play the second course more often - which I'm guessing is more technical.

Just curious to see what you guys use as far as strategy/technique and equipment when your playing a tournament with in your opinion tight fairways. I played one this weekend that was wide open for the first round and tight for the second round. I struggled quite a bit during round two.

I've found that slowing if not eliminating a walk/run up can help, the biggest key is to practice, practice, practice...changing in mid stream especially in the middle of a tournament could have a far worse effect if your not comfortable with it. I think the key has already been addressed...relax and don't try to kill it if you're facing a long tunnel shot. Par is good in situations like that, save the big spectacular crush drive for something a little more favorable

Tight and straight fairways: Mids
Tight and turning fairways: overstable mids or drivers depending on where the turn is and how sharp the turn is.

When I play the Coyote course at Lester Lorch in Cedar Hill, TX, I only throw a driver on 4 tees. Three of those are the open holes, the other a very sharp right (forehand) shot.

I start throwing putters and mids just trying to stay straight. I sacrifice some D to be in the middle

On tight fairways with a favorable ceiling I sometimes throw thumbers just to stay in the fairway. Very little chance they get kicked far left or right.