• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HIYA!!!

leathercash

Par Member
Hey amigos! I'm new to the site AND to disc golf. All can can say is I really REALLY like this discing business and I'm pretty sure I'm addicted. I like this game...like,more than a friend. However I do have one question: How can I avoid future painful shoulder aches and other related injuries? My career involes some pretty intense physical lifting directly related to my throwing arm. What can I do to make sure I don't throw my arm/shoulder out? I'm mainly a "flick" driver with all my fairway shots backhand. THANKS!!! :eek:

Stretching.....before and after you play. Don't try to over do it in one day. If you play 2 rounds and you are sore, maybe play just 1 and then a front/ or back 9. If your course has long/ short maybe play 1 long then 1 short. Believe it or not conditioning has a bit to do with playing this sport serious. You want to have endurance, so like any other sport, build up to what you want. If you want to be able to play 4 rounds a day, start by playing 1-2, then build up to it.
But again...find some stretching techniches and do it before and after you play. In case you don't do it already, practice putt at a basket a few minutes instead of just stepping up to the 1st tee and letting it rip....gives you arm a chance to "warm up"...also gets you eye/hand coordination up before you get into a round.
Welcome to the addiction...err...Sport....and GOOD LUCK!!!

good to see a new face.

the shoulder thing could be that your just using your arm in a new way and you need to train your muscles. the aches may go away. stretching before you play and not putting to much power into your throw will help. if it continues you may have a shoulder problem that needs attention from a doctor.

you can also try throwing in a different manner. many people like throwing sidearm, and still others like throwing a tomahawk (overhand).