• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hocking Peaks Pricing Policy

Crooow

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just saw that "Hocking Peaks" is opening in Logan, Ohio and has a pricing policy :

Prices: (as of 7-12-10)
$8 for 9 holes
$12 for 18 holes

Do you really think they will get any business at those prices? I see that culinarywiz and TimRice have played it but not reviewed it. It better be the best DG course ever for those prices. No photos on site but the hole lengths don't see too special and it loks like only 7 holes have alternate tees.

If the course is laid out well and manicured, I wouldn't have a problem paying $12 for a round of DG. It's still way better than what it costs to go bolfing.

IMO, we need more well-groomed, pay-to-play courses.

I would pay ball golf prices to play disc golf on a ball golf course. I never drink when I play but if I had a golf cart.........

no way will i pay that when there are many free or low price courses that are highly rated

Dig this...

We had family up from Kansas, so we rented some cabins in Hocking Hills (only some of the most beautifully rustic land you will ever see).

Once there, we decided to go zip-lining 'cause we passed a place that advertised it. We were stoked.

We get there, and while we were filling out the "if you die you can't sue us paper work", I noticed an Innova disc basket behind the shelter.

I asked the guy tending to us ( I believe him to be TimRice ), if there was a course on site. He told me that it was a championship caliber course that just had the baskets placed in the ground two days ago. Booyaa!!!

I told the family "Sorry folks, but I gotta check out this course". I grabbed my bag from my truck (everyone keeps their bag with them, just in case...right?), and took off like a bat out of hell.

This course was barely ready to play. Yes, it had all 18 pins. However, there were no signs, no pads, no beaten paths and really no way to tell were to go. There were little red Innova flags in the ground where I assumed they planned to tee from. I found most of them, but not all. You have to understand that it was rough all over. This course had mad elevation and sick rough. It was balanced as far as wooded and open holes go.

I never did find hole 6 and after looking for 10, I went back in and got a four wheeler ride out to the hole.

If I were to review the course, I would probably give it a 3.5. I haven't due to the fact that it really wasn't ready yet and I missed a hole. This was probably about 3 weeks ago.

...by the way, I didn't find out they charged my wife $10 for my round until I got back. BS!!!

Places sometimes begin with expectations that are a bit high. High Bridge charges $5 per course; or $8 to play any and all courses; these fees are per day. You can play as many rounds as you would like. I dislike it when they try to charge you for each round; thus negating those of us who would play a pay to play course numerous times in a day to get our monies worth. A bud and I recently played a ski hill course that charged $7 for the ski lift to the top. We payed it, to play it once; and while it was a good course; I doubt I would do it again. Now, if they gave you unlimited lifts for $7, then if may be worth it.

I just listed the course, i do not work there. I manage the course down the road at Hocking College. I went up to check it out, since I heard it was installed. I must have played it around the same time as the "wiz". The baskets were just installed and sign and tee pads were not in yet.

I didn't post a review yet, because I wanted to wait until it is fully installed to judge it. It has some serious potential to be a amazing course. I know it was designed by Innova, and that they plan to add it to the pro-tour for next year. That being said I imagine that they are planning a lot of changes that are not in yet. I will be up there again this Tuesday and it will post an up-date of any changes they have made.

I don't think a course should be charging people full price if its not ready and fully up and going. It just seems unethical to charge someone for something that is halfway complete. That's just what I think. To each their own.

Biz
Team Bert

It costs around 20 large to put in a nice course, not to mention the land. Lets get real PP $12 is very reasonable. What do you pay for a good 6 pack of beer, a movie ticket, a round of ball golf, a couple games of bowling, a value meal at McD's, a new star valk??. Lets get used to paying to play, that's where we are going, and nothing is free. Some of these threads kill me, you want to go to a public course in a public park and play for free, and we dont want anyoun in the park to get in our way, all for $0. WAKE UP.

I played Blue Mountain on sunday for the 1st time, and the only time i've ever play a ski course. It's 10 bucks for the day, which gives you unlimited lifts, and access to a base course as well (although you'll likely get two rounds in, and 3 would require you there at 9 and not much of a break time since the rounds take a while to complete).

That being said it was the most fun i've had. It was a unique experience and I look forward to going back, and gladly paying the $10 charge. Granted it would be annoying to pay per round, but for an excellent course (which is having an upcoming Skylands Classic NT event), $10 is a steal.

Many DG'ers are spoiled playing for free, but I don't mind paying a small fee (especially compared to ball golf) for a great experience.

It costs around 20 large to put in a nice course, not to mention the land. Lets get real PP $12 is very reasonable. What do you pay for a good 6 pack of beer, a movie ticket, a round of ball golf, a couple games of bowling, a value meal at McD's, a new star valk??. Lets get used to paying to play, that's where we are going, and nothing is free. Some of these threads kill me, you want to go to a public course in a public park and play for free, and we dont want anyoun in the park to get in our way, all for $0. WAKE UP.

I'm awake, wide awake. The reason I play disc golf and not ball golf is that most courses are free. I enjoy the mental aspects of both golf games, but I'm not wanting to pay greens fees that ball golf charges. If we payed for every round of disc golf that we played none of us would have money at all. I play 4 or 5 days a week, there is no way I could afford to pay for that.
How many of us on this site could afford 12 bucks for every round you play? You must be rich, and there for you can afford greens fees every time you play, me personally, I can't. I'll go back to playing in a park using targets, like I did when i started.

Biz
Team Bert

$10-per-round X 5 days a week = $50. Less than - a normal dinner out, one round of ball golf, oil change, cable bill, tank of gas, etc, etc. I am not rich, just realistic. EVERYTHING costs $$, everything, every sport, pastime, or hobby. Listen, I'm glad that most courses are free play, but I can't stand the whining about having to share the course with the other tax payers who payed 20+ large to put it in, and most of all PP actually whining over $10 to play a quality course, R U kidding me!! The most disturbing thing is that if everyone felt this way than those donation boxes at the public courses are nothing more than dust collectors. We ALL should be stuffing those things with $$, it looks like we are not.

Build your own course and charge whatever you want, I'll keep playing the courses that are free, which is like 90% of them. Played Flip City, which and left some $$ in the donation box, not a problem. Played Cold Brooke and payed the park fee, not a problem. Do I play them every week or even every month, no. Shore Acres was all volunteer, all donation built. We simply went to the parks department and asked if we could build a course for everyone to use. Got local businesses to help, got the community to help, course done. You should build a course, in fact make it a country club, to keep out all us undesirables. Let me know how that works out. Ps it didn't cost 20 large.

Biz
Team Bert
Saugatuck MI

You should build a course, in fact make it a country club, to keep out all us undesirables. Let me know how that works out. Ps it didn't cost 20 large.

Biz
Team Bert
Saugatuck MI

Its funny you should make this request to this particular member..... check out Phantom Falls, CO

for 12 bucks, it better come with a happy ending.

i'll stick with the tdd's and stoners at my free local pitch-and-putt, thanks.

Some of you need to realize that there's a lot of middle ground between 'free' (you get what you don't pay for) and charging fees that are even half of what a round at a garden variety public ball golf course runs.

Case in point.
O
http://www.startribune.com/local/we...c3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

30 bucks for the year is not bad, if you lived in there and played at this course regularly. Does this park have tennis courts? Basketball court? Are they going to charge a fee to shoot some hoops? Or to practice you serve? It is cheaper to put in 18 baskets and tee pads than it is to build and maintain a tennis court. If its in a public park why is there a fee? Sorry it just mind boggling to me. If its in a state park, that is already charging you for an entrance fee, ok I can dig on that, everyone is paying for that park, hikers, bikers, campers, ect., but if its in a public park I just don't get it. I'm sure I'll piss someone off by writing this, but I love this sport for the friendship you make, the enjoyment of being outdoors, and the mental workout you give yourself, and lastly you can play this game at any economic level. I hope this elitist mentality does not hurt this sport. There are a lot of younger people in this world that could be the next Ken, or David, or Barry, that may never play this sport due to course fees. Just "my" opinion here, don't hate me! Its a beautiful day in SW MI, going out to putt!

Biz
Team Bert

Oh snap Im going to hocking hills next month, I have been to two pay to play courses both were 8 dollars a day and neither was a dissapointment. Hopefully they will have some tees and signs up when I go. If they dont Ill try and talk down the 12 to 8 since the course is not done. Im excited now to look up all the courses up there and make sure I get to the best.

Latest posts