• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 1/25/12 Walnut Ridge

Technohic

* Ace Member *
Walnut Ridge
Johnston (Des Moines), IA
Hole 12
Red: 430 ft (4)
White:536 ft (4)
(yes we know. "Par 4?!?" Get over it and play it as a 3)

White Tee
6612c693.jpg

Red Tee:
1e929721.jpg

Approach:
0822f156.jpg

Basket:
afa0e474.jpg

Map
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/64/e8ef77e3.pdf

This is strange. The hole info has different distances than the map does and the map shows what appears to be 2 separate pins but lists none.

Whatever. Thinking I will be trying to carve some lines with a Pro Leopard judging by the obstacles presented.

This was one of my only good holes during the First Class Challenge, Buzzz-Buzzz-Wizard gave me the elusive bird. I only played it that one time, I don't think I could repeat that very often.

More likely scenario would be buzzz-hits an early tree and kicks left, thumber with a TL back onto the fairway, Buzzz-hits a late tree and kicks right, roller with a buzzz out onto the fairway for a jumper that I miss wide right with a wizard, make the return putt for the double bogey.

(yes we know. "Par 4?!?" Get over it and play it as a 3)

Looks like a legitimate par 4 to me. I'm going to go with a teebird (RHFH) or river (RHBH) to just try to get off the tee clean. Then buzzz or wizard approach depending on where I am.

Looks like a legitimate par 4 to me. I'm going to go with a teebird (RHFH) or river (RHBH) to just try to get off the tee clean. Then buzzz or wizard approach depending on where I am.

Its pretty wooded and long enough; but I was speaking more in jest because there is always someone to complain whenever a hole isn't par 3.

I've only played this course once, and it was in a tournament playing it blind back in 2009. I remember this hole. It was one of the tougher holes on the course. It's not easy from the long tee because of that initial right bend to get down the fairway and all the trees in the way that could kick you somewhere you don't want to be. I also think I tried playing it too aggressively to get down the fairway. I ended up having to save my par.

Right now I think I'd play it as a Comet turnover off the white tee followed by a Buzzz.

The short tee is a bit more straight on, so a hyzerflip with a Valkyrie.

It looks like this hole will be about setting up your second shot. I'd probably start off with a comet, then finish out with a buzzz.

Probably a leopard or cheetah with low power to get close, buzzz or ion to get closer.

This is probably a more legit par 4 than other HOD's.

I love Walnut Ridge, and this hole is pretty fun, but tricky. I throw a champ leo RHBH on an anny line and follow up w/ a wiz the rest of the way.

It's hard to get a feel for this hole just from the pictures. It's somewhere from 200'-250' to that first landing zone, so it's not really a big distance. It makes a hard right at that point and the trees are all in the wrong places. Getting that approach from the picture takes some pretty good placement. I usually end up with a difficult approach even if my drive off the tee is a straight shot that lands about where I want. A misplaced shot usually ends up adding a stroke rather than just giving you a more difficult next shot. It's a lot of risk, which makes it an interesting hole.

I usually just throw Wizards the whole time and get a 4 if I'm lucky.

It's hard to get a feel for this hole just from the pictures. It's somewhere from 200'-250' to that first landing zone, so it's not really a big distance. It makes a hard right at that point and the trees are all in the wrong places. Getting that approach from the picture takes some pretty good placement. I usually end up with a difficult approach even if my drive off the tee is a straight shot that lands about where I want. A misplaced shot usually ends up adding a stroke rather than just giving you a more difficult next shot. It's a lot of risk, which makes it an interesting hole.

I thought maybe a low flick hyzer with a PD might flare up sideways enough to thread through those trees and trickle out into the opening. Throwing a hard BH anhyzer looks suicidal to me on this one! Plenty of similar looking terrain up here in MN.

I thought maybe a low flick hyzer with a PD might flare up sideways enough to thread through those trees and trickle out into the opening. Throwing a hard BH anhyzer looks suicidal to me on this one! Plenty of similar looking terrain up here in MN.
Your plan sounds perfect to me. I agree that anhyzers or turnovers are dangerous.

Latest posts