• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 1/25/12 Walnut Ridge

This is strange. The hole info has different distances than the map does and the map shows what appears to be 2 separate pins but lists none.
I think the map distances look more accurate than the hole distances from the OP FWIW. I've only ever seen the basket in the far position.

At 2004 Worlds (7.5 years ago?!!?!!), the Pro A Pool (the top pool) played it like this:
Birdie: 30%
Par: 57%
Bogey: 10%
Double: 3%
Average score 3.87

The top Advanced Am Pool played it like this:
Birdie: 14%
Par: 64%
Bogey: 19%
Double: 3%
Average score 4.11

The top 20 finishers in Open Pro had 10 birds, 9 pars, 1 bogey.

Playing it in person, I felt it had just a couple too many fairway trees, especially on the 2nd half of the hole. Don't get me wrong, still a good hole and certainly still more skill than luck, but just 1 or 2 trees from being fantastic. Especially since the VAST majority of regular players (heck, even tournament players) will be closer in skill to the top Am pool than the top Pro pool.

teebird, and i will probably hit a tree

As a Des Moinian, I have played this many times.
Many of you are smart thinkers, like Martin Dewgarita.
I've never done well on this hole by trying to throw long.
Its a pretty nasty tunnel.

Tough hole

White: Buzzz or Teebird, depending on whether I think I can cut the corner some. Buzzz or Ion from there

Red: Probably River-Buzzz-Ion-Ion

This is strange. The hole info has different distances than the map does and the map shows what appears to be 2 separate pins but lists none.

The course has two tees and two pin positions on most of the holes. We just don't have them all filled in. I can't honestly tell you if the distances are to the short pin or the long pin. In fact, I can't even ensure that the distances listed differentiate between tees, and not basket positions. Each tee at WR has a sign with its distance to both pins. Anyone in the Des Moines area, please update these when you get a chance.

I know its a solid Par 4 long-long though. I've rarely made a 4 on this hole while playing here.

Ahh yes now I remember this hole. Played it once for 1st Class and was extremely hung over all day on this course(Sun AM) and was literally laying down next to tee boxes trying to regain any strength. Ended up shooting a 3 on this baby though. Played a stable Destroyer forehand right of the rightmost tree, then Roc, Rhyno. Bad ass course and really a pretty piece of land. Oddly enough the next round of the day finishing the tourney was at Big Creek where I shot the hot round and got my first tourney ace. Highly recommend this tournament to anyone!!

Tough hole. Took me a minute to recognize it since the only time I saw it everything was greened up at First Class Challenge last year.

To play it again, I'd probably throw my beat MOLF off the tee to make sure I stayed turned and didn't venture off too far left. Not much in terms of upshot selection from that side of the fairway.

beat MOLF off the tee, then hopefully a nice comet approach for a pickup 3. Got a pickup 4 when I played it because I got too left off the long tee.

i would most likely throw a river or teebird of the tee
But the buzzz buzzz wizard sounds like a better plan

throwing a katana as far as i can from either tee. just a few trees to navigate up front and it seems to open up a bit until you get to the basket. would be a nice birdie from the long with a couple good shots. could imagine an eagle approach with a good drive from the short. beautiful hole. me likey.

flippy ce valk off the tee. Cobra or buzzz depending on what side of the fairway I am on. KC Pro Aviar once near the basket.

Par 4 for sure!

Thinking Roc-Roc to reach the green.

Latest posts