• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 3-2-14 Deer Lakes Park

Rol6566

* Ace Member *
Deer Lakes Park

Hole #9

Red Tee- 594 ft (5)
White Tee-774 ft (5)
Blue Tee-846 ft (5)

White Tee
8a232ead.jpg

81fd2470.jpg

Blue Tee
9e66a7b7.jpg

Fairway
5f3a7543.jpg

Approach to green
6a7a0721.jpg

Course map
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/125/91d986ca.pdf

Review by Joshmo65
"To get to hole 9, cross the gravel parking lot past 8 and go down the bank on the other side. Try to get your first shot out far enough that you are not in the small trees to the left which make run ups difficult and may beat down your second throw early. "

Green to tee
175a09bc.jpg

This is one of my "home" courses. This is one of the few open bomber holes in Pittsburgh.

It starts off on a tight open fairway that leads into a wide open landing zone. Dont go too far left and land in the small grove of trees

From there you have to finesse a second shot through a tight set of trees to have a look at the green. Placement is key on the second shot if you want to have a shot at a birdie

Throw it far. Then throw it really far again, hoping that you can squeak by all of those trees and skip down towards the pin for an eagle 3.

D3/Leo for the first two throws provided I'm in good position, probably an M4/Truth to the basket.

i would throw gstar krait then another gstar krait then another drive to the basket for a hopeful birdie. but my luck i hit 3 trees in the last 50 feet and i take a 6 or a 7.

I usually throw a destroyer off the tee to make sure it gets left. Then try to flex a firebird down to the basket for a 3. I have 1 eagle in 27 rounds on this hole from the whites, so it doesn't usually work out as easy as it sounds. However, this is one of my favorite holes anywhere.

holy cow, might as well throw them blues:

big ol' boss, another big ol' boss to hopefully enter the tree line. depending on placement and angles i'l throw my aviar or possibly flick a FB as an upshot, and finish with the aviar.

Makes me sad this amazing course is localish for me and I have yet to play it. Gotta get out there soon as theweather breaks!

Red (594') - (Beat) Star Destroyer RHBH/KC Roc RHBH/KC Aviar RHBH Upshot
White (774') - (Beat) Star Destroyer RHBH/12x Champion Teebird RHBH/KC Aviar RHBH Upshot
Blue (846') - (Beat) Star Destroyer RHBH/12x Champion Teebird RHBH/KC Aviar RHBH Upshot

Last edited:
Cool! One of my photos (although not one of my better ones) is on the DGCR front page!

How I play the hole, which might be my favorite in all of Pittsburgh:
First Shot: Star Wraith or Katana with slight hyzer flip that finishes left (but hopefully not too far left).
Second Shot: A roller Wraith by the pavilion that has the potential to roll and funnel down towards the basket. Or, a turnover shot with a Wraith or Katana that -- if it has eyes -- can follow the path and give an eagle putt.
Third Shot: If lucky, I'm putting. Otherwise, it's a short hyzer down the path or a short shot over the cliff (where Nikko is in the course picture).

My stats for the hole:
White (mean = 4.39 over 23 rounds): 2 eagles, 12 birdies, 7 pars, 2 bogies
Blue (mean = 4.77 over 52 rounds): 2 eagles, 16 birdies, 26 pars, 8 bogies

Latest posts