• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole distance measurements question.

fountg

Par Member
Are the hole distance measurements usually just guesswork? I was looking through some courses earlier and noticed quite a bit of distance discrepancies. Where a hole could be listed as 200-something feet, but look way shorter in the pictures, or one that looks twice as long, but listed as only another 30 feet or so. I try to judge my distance based on hole length, but Ive seen holes listed where I normally believe I throw about 250 but they make me think I may actually be hitting 320ish. It could all be mental trickery and the course signs may be correct (and I undersell my throwing ability) but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts about that?

Parks and Rec measured the holes at my course (Shawnee Mission Park) with some sort of GPS tool. So that only accounts for direct distance, no doglegs or elevation change.

It's pretty inconsistent. Some people measure straight line, some people measure flight line, some use a wheel which adds a bunch of distance as you go up and down any contours, and some people never go back and remeasure after a change in tee or pin position.

It's also really tough to judge depth from a picture.

As you can see it all depends on the guy measuring it. Rangefinders work the best and you have to measure the standard intended line of the hole. Not some local route. My 2 cents

^The depth thing.

Thats what I was thinking could be my problem. Idk. I know a course I have played countless times in the past has a new pin setup, but I recognize landmarks, and The first hole is listed as like 255 or something close to that, and I know I could bomb one well past the basket.

Another thing is that after the signs are made, tee/pin positions are sometimes changed due to compatibility/safety issues.

All true about inaccurate measurements.

But keep in mind that photos can be inaccurate too.

They may have been taken with different focal length lenses, compressing or expanding the apparent depth. They may have been taken by different players using different cameras.

Here, the distances are measured by tape and pretty accurate. The pictures, however, were taken to best show the holes, and vary in perspective.

I was just wondering about this as I have played several rounds recently where the distances seemed completely different. I am hoping that I have really been throwing further than I think I am :p.

Also does anyone know if the distances are measure from the front or back of the tee or sign?

I would assume measurements are taken from the front of the teepad, since that's where you're releasing the disc from.

Its just so odd, its almost tempting to buy measurement tools myself just to check, because Hillcrest park in Vincennes IN has holes listed at about 250 that I can barely get throw to, but Kerr Station is Cabot AR has holes listed at 250 that I can throw probably 50 feet past. Both are on flat land so slope wouldn't affect it. I guess one or both have to be wrong. I may head out to the football fields today to do some testing there.

Its just so odd, its almost tempting to buy measurement tools myself just to check........

I bought a 300 meter (has feet as well) landscape tape measure off Amazon for $27 plus shipping. I bought it for me and my son to evaluate our field work, so I probably won't be found checking the local courses. Still, I have noticed exactly what you describe.

Curtis

Are the hole distance measurements usually just guesswork? I was looking through some courses earlier and noticed quite a bit of distance discrepancies. Where a hole could be listed as 200-something feet, but look way shorter in the pictures, or one that looks twice as long, but listed as only another 30 feet or so. I try to judge my distance based on hole length, but Ive seen holes listed where I normally believe I throw about 250 but they make me think I may actually be hitting 320ish. It could all be mental trickery and the course signs may be correct (and I undersell my throwing ability) but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts about that?

First, I have no idea how other folks measure their courses so I can only tell you how I've done it. Second, I work for a civil engineering company so I measure distances like this a lot and there are some easy things course designers should do to minimize inaccuracies:

1. Use a freaking 300' tape. For cripes sakes it's $27 at the local Lowes/Home Depot/Menards. If someone uses a wheel in the woods (or even on grass) to measure distance they ought to be flogged with said wheel. Wheels are only good on very smooth surfaces such as pavements otherwise they are totally useless. GPS isn't much better unless you don't mind if your distances are as much as 50' off (or more) in heavily wooded areas. Of course, to get an accurate distance via GPS you really need to have a surveyors quality unit with a base station which will run about $5k or a lot more.

2. If it is a dogleg hole measure down the middle of the fairway and then to the basket. If you really want to be cool show the two different measurements on the course map. So for example you could show that it's 250' to the kink in the dogleg and another 100' to the basket which makes the hole 350'. A smart DG'er is going to realize that the hole is going to play shorter than that if you cut the corner.

3. Make sure your tape is straight and slightly taut. Kind of a "duh" thing but some people don't seem to realize this.

I used a wheel to measure most of the courses I mapped in NOVA and I kept wondering why there were so many discrepancies in the map scale.

Last year I got a 300' tape and re-measured two holes at Bluemont. (4 tees x 4 pins / hole = 16 distances)

Lengths with the tape on the 32 measurements were 2% to 6% shorter than the wheel measurements. The new measurements negated all of the previous map scale discrepancies.

I used a wheel to measure most of the courses I mapped in NOVA and I kept wondering why there were so many discrepancies in the map scale.

Last year I got a 300' tape and re-measured two holes at Bluemont. (4 tees x 4 pins / hole = 16 distances)

Lengths with the tape on the 32 measurements were 2% to 6% shorter than the wheel measurements. The new measurements negated all of the previous map scale discrepancies.

Frankly I am shocked it was that close. If you ever want to see just how inaccurate wheels can be run a wheel down some sand or dirt for a long ways and then look at the track you make. I don't care how steady you are there will be wiggles in the line. Kudos to you Timber for realizing this. :hfive:

I've noticed some major discrepancies lately where holes actually play 200-300' longer than the direct line to the basket which is being measured. I don't understand why the actual designed flight path is not what is being depicted in the distance markers.

I don't think its the tools being used but rather HOW the distances are measured which is a bigger problem. What should be measured anyways if you cannot throw a direct line to the basket it seems only logical to measure the intended flight path.

I have found this site to be very accurate and even takes slope of the land into account:
http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

I went to Dick's, bought a 300$ range finder. Measured the whole course, and then returned the range finder. Pretty easy.

I was just wondering about this as I have played several rounds recently where the distances seemed completely different. I am hoping that I have really been throwing further than I think I am :p.

Also does anyone know if the distances are measure from the front or back of the tee or sign?

If you are playing Griggs, you will be disappointed when you play elsewhere, as I noticed playing a little nine hole that I was having more trouble reaching a 275ft hole than a 354 from Griggs.

Maybe the stinky water gives us super powers!?