• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Home made bags?

BADman

Eagle Member
Anybody made their own custom bags at home? I'm working on starting my own and I jus wanted to see if y'all had any resources or experience. By the way… sewing machines are more complicated than I had previously thought haha

I made my own DG backpack out of a internal frame swissgear hiking backpack. Found the design for it on here somewhere and i love the thing. I made it for about $50, thats the bag + materials.

DIY DG Backpack

There are instructions in that post by steve_a for the Swiss Gear backpack modification mentioned by the previous poster.

If you read through the thread you will see results and suggestions from me and others with this particular mod. I made the bag in October and I love it.

Ive thought about it, the hardest part for me is findomg some good fabric locally. The internet is probably the only place to get the good stuff in my case. Sewing can be tricky for sure, when the thread keeps breaking it'll drive you insane lol

DIY DG Backpack

There are instructions in that post by steve_a for the Swiss Gear backpack modification mentioned by the previous poster.

If you read through the thread you will see results and suggestions from me and others with this particular mod. I made the bag in October and I love it.

If anyone is planning to do the Swiss backpack mod, you may want to check out the following eBay link. These don't show up very often, and this one could go for cheap. I think it's the right model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Gear-Hiki...aultDomain_0&hash=item230f71b8ee#ht_670wt_754

I've posted this before, but here ya go.
I made a model (and templates) out of newspaper by tracing around my Jaguar,
and then I just cut those shapes out of canvas and sewed it up.
And by "I" I mean my mother-in-law. She's pretty crafty.
IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

Yup.

yearofrolling, that looks a bit familiar... Nice colors!

Recycled from a pair of old Carhartts.
IMG_20110330_103715.jpg

IMG_20110330_103802.jpg

IMG_20110330_110055.jpg

Multiple hidden pockets.
Holds 6 discs, a 3.5 oz. flask, notepad/scorecards, pencils
Drink holder is removable and attaches to either side. (Sewing the second one today)

Total cost so far: $5.48 for the belt clips on the drink carrier. All other parts reuse/recycled or taken from existing parts(I make other stuff too).

Those are some rockin' bags. Thanks for the pics. I think it's great when people put forth the effort to make, instead of just buying. I was having some DG gear envy, looking through pics of various manufactured bags, but now I'm thinking along these lines.

I've posted this before, but here ya go.
I made a model (and templates) out of newspaper by tracing around my Jaguar,
and then I just cut those shapes out of canvas and sewed it up.
And by "I" I mean my mother-in-law. She's pretty crafty.
IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

Yup.

Wow, that is awesome, perfect for a take-everywhere travel bag. It's almost like a disc golf emergency bag

Version 2:

IMG_20110412_223235.jpg

The inside of the flap has a putter pocket when flipped open, & I just added a mini pocket on it as well.

IMG_20110412_223150.jpg

Trying for sturdy & multiple attachment options.

IMG_20110412_223035.jpg

I'm about $9 in materials in on this bag. Time is another matter, but when I'm not working it's a fine activity when the weather sucks.

Anybody made their own custom bags at home? I'm working on starting my own and I jus wanted to see if y'all had any resources or experience. By the way… sewing machines are more complicated than I had previously thought haha

Here's a thread related to your inquiry. I've been meaning to post this.

I've always said - if you want a new disc golf bag, get a new girlfriend. Tell her you got your old disc golf bag, from your old girlfriend.

Latest posts