• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade Birdie Bag?

Hyzer_Soze

I'm playing in an event tomorrow at Tyler and it's going to be HOT. I played today and was having a difficult time keeping my hands dry. When the discs start slipping out of your hands, it can be frustrating.

I've never needed anything like this in past, so I'm a complete noob on the subject. Normally I'd go to Dodo's shop and try out a birdie bag, but I didn't get back before they closed and I'll be gone long before they open.

Anyone have any suggestions that can get me through tomorrow? Any way to make a home made birdie bag for tomorrow? I know some guys grab some dirt in their hands, but that hasn't worked for me.

I appreciate your help!

Yeah, this is a good question! A couple guys I know use birdie bags, but seems so simple that their should be a much cheaper substitute. I do not want to rub my hands in dirt all the time.

just rub your hands in dirt...you can always wash it off after the round. Make sure to wipe it off though if sweat starts to mix with it because muddy hands are not good...If you've got a sweatband, you should put that on your throwing arm wrist...

During my round this afternoon the humidity was absolutely unreal, and I was having trouble getting a good grip on my discs.I did exactly what Biscoe mentioned, took a nice chunk of tree bark and gripped and rubbed it a little and presto! Dry hand.

During my round this afternoon the humidity was absolutely unreal, and I was having trouble getting a good grip on my discs.I did exactly what Biscoe mentioned, took a nice chunk of tree bark and gripped and rubbed it a little and presto! Dry hand.

I look forward to trying that!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Just go to a WalMart & get a little league rosin bag for a couple of bucks.

I agree with Fred, stop at a walmart and grab a small rosin bag, if your real desperate you can mix a 50/50 combination of baking soda and corn starch, put it into an old sock, tie it off and you have yourself a mixture that will work similar to a rosin bag.

On the 18th hole of our club round yesterday, on a whim I remembered this thread and tried rubbing my hand on an oak tree. It had rained pretty good for about 30 minutes around the 9th hole. To my disbelief rubbing the tree actually seemed to work. Not as quite as good as a Birdie Bag or a Rosin bag I'm sure, but much better than just using my damp towels lol

The Birdie bag is sawdust... Hardwood sawdust to be exact. They might be adding baking powder too, but probably for preservation reasons.

When on the course I find the best grip comes from grabbing eucalyptus tree leaves and squeezing them until they release sap. I'm sure the sap from the leaves of other trees can do this as well, but the sap leaves my hands feeling like they have great grip without having too much. I also rub the leaves on my discs to give them a small coat.

It is also good to remember to wash your discs thoroughly after a few rounds. No matter how well you rosin up your hands, if your discs have oil residue from handling them over time, they won't have all the grip they can achieve when clean.

I just made a fabric "pillow" of sawdust that I made while crafting some speaker boxes. Works well enough for me

What about silica non clumping kitty litter 4$ walmart!. Cut up a bunch of running shirts that wick away water.
Made 10 of them already to give away to my DG buds the next time we play.
I tested them today in the rain . Work well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What I have used is simply water on the hands, it was too hot to touch the discs and it kept the discs from sticking to the hands. Now with humid hot I have actually needed to use a towel yeah that humid the water from the Mighty Missouri was helping bring the humidity up.

Some of you are living in a very different part of the country than me. During outside putting practice yesterday, I was wearing a glove on my non-throwing hand and placing my throwing hand in a sweatshirt pouch to warm it between throws.

We're having a heat wave today. 60 degrees F. Get out the bathing suits!

I just use a climbing chalk and bag, since I don't use loose chalk it's not messy. It's easy, works well, and is cheap.

Yep the Climbing or lifting chalk is what you want to use, those chalks are better as they are made to assist more with grip then using regular chalk in a bag but if you have to use regular chalk then get cornstarch to mix in.

Some of you are living in a very different part of the country than me. During outside putting practice yesterday, I was wearing a glove on my non-throwing hand and placing my throwing hand in a sweatshirt pouch to warm it between throws.

We're having a heat wave today. 60 degrees F. Get out the bathing suits!

I wear gloves well a general Sports set that are warmer and a tiny bit big to have set of thin/lightweight kit gloves under them if need be, they are also used for running but have these mini grip Under Amour logo on the palm and front of fingers for grip. If I did not have those gloves I use now I would buy the slightly padded gloves for running backs in football and used by ultimate players too those ones that are lightly padded on the non tacky palm side a tad larger then I need so I can have thin/lightweight kit gloves on under if need be, keep hands warm.

Latest posts