• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Hornet vs Verdict

Flip Hyzerman

Birdie Member
I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have thrown both - how do these compare? I've got lots of experience with the Hornet (especially Z), and have never thrown a Verdict.

I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have thrown both - how do these compare? I've got lots of experience with the Hornet (especially Z), and have never thrown a Verdict.

I personally feel that the verdict is more overstable than the hornet and longer but less overstable than the drone

Stability-wise they are very similar. The Verdict will be slightly faster with a lower profile. IMO the Verdict has a better feel in the hand due to the smaller bead and low profile.

The verdict is a tick faster, lower profile, and less overstable than most heavy z hornets in my experience. The verdict is still overstable and it is much more comfortable in my hand but one noticable difference is that it will fly a good bit farther than you might expect it is fast for a mid. Personally I prefer the wasp at the moment mine is slower and a tick less stable than the verdict and feels equally well in my hand.

Got out with the Verdict, Hornet, and Buzzz today to compare. I brought a Prototype Lucid Verdict at 176g, a max weight newer Z Hornet, a 175g older Z Hornet (softer Z/ESP mix), and three max weight Z Buzzzes. I rate the Buzzz 5/4.5/0/1, the newer Z Hornet 5/4/0/3, the Verdict 5.5/4/0/2.5, and the beat Z Hornet 5/4/0/2. The Verdict is slightly faster than the Hornet, comes in much better plastic, is lower profile, and has sort of a straight, no-turn, dump left when it slows down kind of flight. The Hornet flies a bit more HSS, and has a bit more glide to it's fade (less dump, more forward). Neither seemed to have any issues with the wind and I found the Verdict to be more comfy in my hand - the Verdict also seemed to be easier to put on a higher hyzer ... the Hornet can be difficult to get up in the air as the HSS pulls it down like a brick. The Verdict is a bit of a tweener, but may eventually replace my Hornets.

On a separate note, does anyone think having a Gator and a Verdict in the bag creates overlap? Or is the Verdict faster?

On a separate note, does anyone think having a Gator and a Verdict in the bag creates overlap? Or is the Verdict faster?

Verdict is definitely faster I would say. Less OS as well so probably a bit of overlap but unless you are going for minimal midrange molds I wouldn't see a problem carrying both. I use a opto trident for what I assume you use the gator for, similar lines or shots at least and I still carry a verdict as well. It's my Truth OS for headwinds. Love them both. Go together like peanut butter and ladies. :thmbup:

My verdict has officially kicked out the hornet. Does the same thing as the hornet, and does exactly what I want for this slot in the bag. If I have a nice head wind, I throw this and it flies luck a truth. If I want a big hyzer or to go for a big dogleg, I put it on the hyzer line it needs and it sticks it without turn. Forward fade and still dependable. The kicker that secured it I'm my bag....the plastic and feel.

Forgot to say I like the Verdict for FH as well - was really impressed actually, very nice release and surprising distance out of a mid (on a hyzer FH release).

"The Verdict is slightly faster than the Hornet, comes in much better plastic, is lower profile, and has sort of a straight, no-turn, dump left when it slows down kind of flight. The Hornet flies a bit more HSS, and has a bit more glide to it's fade (less dump, more forward)." Flip Hyzerman

^^^This^^^
The Verdict replaced my Hornet due to:
- the above stated comparison
-it feels just like my Suspects in the hand only different finish(Suspect took my Buzzes out as well)
-I like the dead straight flight with the sudden left turn.

More hyzers yesterday, throwing the Verdict against some pretty mean wind and it didn't care - I was able to put it out wide on a sweeping hyzer and the fade looked almost lateral to the ground as it cut a hard left back to the basket. It's definitely long for a mid - I could imagine the Classic (baseline) versions of these will be popular to pair with the Lucid; should beat into an even longer straight 'fairway' driver.

My Moonshine Worlds Verdict is noticably less overstable than my similar wear/weight Z hornet. The Verdict flies how i expected the Truth to fly. Straight flight then some healthy fade at the end. for me Hornets begin fading much faster and hold that fade in the air much longer.

I've been experimenting with the following mid setup and it's been working out thus far.
beat classic truth - for turnover mid
beat hybrid truth - for hyzer flip and touch shots
fresh bio truth - for power midrange drives 300+ feet
newer worlds verdict - for flex shots shot shaping and late fade drives
and a newer hornet - for hyzer shots

hornet z plastic is also kind of a hybrid between z and esp

so feel one up before you buy it to make sure its for you

personally i love mine and have two aces with it

Interested to hear how the verdict compares to a pain. I threw a hornet for awhile, just never really got into it and I didn't like the micro bead. I switched over to opto pains because of how they feel in my hand and have had pretty decent success. I guess I don't need to replace my pain but the verdict is looking mighty interesting.

Interested to hear how the verdict compares to a pain.

Fellow Pain user. Love them. Carry 2 bagged and have multiple backups in a few different amounts of worn-in stabilities and glide. I have tried a Verdict as well.

The Verdict was quite noticably more overstable, even than my most overstable Opto Pain premiere edition. It is not a crazy overstable discs, just definitely noticeable coming from a Pain perspective. They're both pretty similar in the beginnings of their flights, but the last half, the Verdict dumps left harder perpendicularly to the original path, while my Pains tend to drift left a bit more slowly.

The Verdict seemed to have a touch more glide as well. It held loft with the glide a touch longer than even my glidiest GL Pain. Again, not a major difference, but noticeable.

Loving the Verdict more and more - the Hornets have been pulled from the bag. The better plastic, lower profile, and better grip/feel has won me over. Does easy accurate hyzers and predictably fades hard on straighter shots. Next, the Truth vs Buzzz!

Loving the Verdict more and more - the Hornets have been pulled from the bag. The better plastic, lower profile, and better grip/feel has won me over. Does easy accurate hyzers and predictably fades hard on straighter shots. Next, the Truth vs Buzzz!

^^^This^^^^

And BTW, the Truth beat out by revered Buzzzes...be prepared to buy more plastic! :eek:

Just don't ever buy the Hybrid Am Worlds Truths.....they are awful.......:D

Latest posts