• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hornet's Nest--soon to come back to life

IIRC, there WAS a tee sign for hole #19 (The island hole by parking lot)

Also, If memory serves me correctly, Hole #5 had a duplicate tee sign of #4 (WEB layout) Was a bit confusing

Are the Web and Hornets Nest considered two different courses? If so, we should have two unique course pages from the start - a la Renny Gold & Pro Players; Winthrop Gold & Lakefront. We only had a single page for the two courses in the past, and that got to be a hassle with course updates, ratings & online scorecards.

The updated layouts play to the same baskets and flow the same way, they are by all accounts "long" pads and "short" pads. One page.

IIRC, there WAS a tee sign for hole #19 (The island hole by parking lot)

Also, If memory serves me correctly, Hole #5 had a duplicate tee sign of #4 (WEB layout) Was a bit confusing

Ill see if I can get this fixed... I looked on our drop box and the images for 4 and 5 web and nest are correct. Are you saying that hole 4 had a sign and hole 5 had another hole 4 sign on it?

Are the Web and Hornets Nest considered two different courses? If so, we should have two unique course pages from the start - a la Renny Gold & Pro Players; Winthrop Gold & Lakefront. We only had a single page for the two courses in the past, and that got to be a hassle with course updates, ratings & online scorecards.

What Hadella said. Basically longs and shorts now. If you walk the Web, you basically walk the nest. And for a majority of the holes you HAVE to walk the Web to get to the nest holes. There are a few with a different transition but not as many as previously.

What Hadella said. Basically longs and shorts now. If you walk the Web, you basically walk the nest. And for a majority of the holes you HAVE to walk the Web to get to the nest holes. There are a few with a different transition but not as many as previously.

Thanks. Can't wait to play the new layouts.

Ill see if I can get this fixed... I looked on our drop box and the images for 4 and 5 web and nest are correct. Are you saying that hole 4 had a sign and hole 5 had another hole 4 sign on it?

I may be getting the hole #'s mixed up, sorry for the confusion, but it may have been #3 and #4

The tee sign for the next hole was the same as the previous. Was throwing out of the woods, with water to the right, down along the line of (cedar?) trees.

Also, I like that there are single baskets now with dual pads, instead of the multiple baskets. However, (again, I'm forgetting hole #'s) but towards the end of the front nine, after you throw to the basket up on a hill behind the pond, you then cross the street. This hole #6,#7? still has two baskets, and two tees. Is the web layout supposed to play to the long basket still?

No complaints from me, just clarifying! I think the new course is fantastic, and I really enjoyed my first round on the Web. Can't wait to play more

Yes hole 6 has 2 baskets. Long tee to long basket. both are shown on the teesign but the dotted lines show that you play to long basket. I think actually the signage shows distance to both baskets from each tee pad so basically there are 4 options when you play it. Reason: We can't expand the green on the long basket due to it bordering a preserved habitat zone. Its not an appropriate green size for a quality course, so likely that it is only used in recreational play, but it adds the par 4 to the Web layout.

Yes hole 6 has 2 baskets. Long tee to long basket. both are shown on the teesign but the dotted lines show that you play to long basket. I think actually the signage shows distance to both baskets from each tee pad so basically there are 4 options when you play it. Reason: We can't expand the green on the long basket due to it bordering a preserved habitat zone. Its not an appropriate green size for a quality course, so likely that it is only used in recreational play, but it adds the par 4 to the Web layout.

Copy that. I like the options. I also like the challenging approach/green of the long basket!

Hoping to get one more round in this weekend before they pull #2 on the island. Any idea on when that will happen?

I believe it is getting pulled immediately after the tournament Saturday, tomorrow. So if you aren't playing in the tournament tomorrow, today will be your last chance.

Played the Nest today. First time playing the shorts...It whipped my a$$ more than the Web did! Bad time.

In other news, for continued improvements of the course, it seemed to me that some of the laminated signs and the metal color arrows nailed to the trees didn't match at times. Again, I failed to take accurate notes on the matter, but it seemed like there were a few holes where the metal colored arrows pointed to the wrong tee pads. Meaning, the gold arrow pointed towards the short pad and the red pointed towards the long.

Next time I play, I will make it a point to take some notes. Yesterday I was having a miserable round, and taking notes was the last thing I wanted to do.

Played the Nest today. First time playing the shorts...It whipped my a$$ more than the Web did! Bad time.

In other news, for continued improvements of the course, it seemed to me that some of the laminated signs and the metal color arrows nailed to the trees didn't match at times. Again, I failed to take accurate notes on the matter, but it seemed like there were a few holes where the metal colored arrows pointed to the wrong tee pads. Meaning, the gold arrow pointed towards the short pad and the red pointed towards the long.

Next time I play, I will make it a point to take some notes. Yesterday I was having a miserable round, and taking notes was the last thing I wanted to do.

Some dont match, was my bad, when I made them. The text and direction of the arrow is correct. If nest is left arrow points left...just might be a gold arrow. Im so dumb.
The laminated signs will go into lunch trays and be fixed then. The current signs are temp anyways; next generation next tee signage will be matching.

Copy that. I like the options. I also like the challenging approach/green of the long basket!

Hoping to get one more round in this weekend before they pull #2 on the island. Any idea on when that will happen?

Pulled after second open card finished their round. Sign up for tournaments that play nest, you may get a surprise in the future. I submitted my proposal for a new number 2, should be approved and will be a neat little hole with a nod to the guantlet! 'ish

I'm closing in on 100 courses played and the Nest/Web layouts were among my favorites. Can't wait to get back to the Queen City and try out the new holes. Keep up the good work, gang!

:thmbup:

I'm closing in on 100 courses played and the Nest/Web layouts were among my favorites. Can't wait to get back to the Queen City and try out the new holes. Keep up the good work, gang!

:thmbup:

I personally think Nest is significantly better. And Web is cleaned up and will continue to get foot traffic so it's improved.

Played the web and left incredibly impressed.

Not sure which layout I threw the one time I played Hornets Nest prior to it closing, but the new web layout easily makes my top 3 for Charlotte courses. Possibly #1.

Pretty close between Hornets Nest, Renny Gold and Nevin Longs for me, but I could see this becoming my favorite in the 485 loop after a few more rounds.

So, until a new 2 goes in, what's the story? Is there just no #2 (heh) right now?

The old basket for Web 2 is over there. You can play to that although I doubt you'll have to for long.

Latest posts