• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Memorial changes coming

araytx

* Ace Member *
Watching the video of the Shelley Sharpe tournament (https://www.youtube.com/zwzwHLpd3pU) made for a preview of the changes coming to the Vista Del Camino XL course for this year's Memorial Championships. This is what I noticed, so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong ... and bring you comments!

1 new trpl mando
3 elevated
6 elevated
7 additional mando on left close to basket

11 additional mando toward basket on left
12 slightly longer tee pad, elevated half island
14 new mando off tee restricting RHBH hyzer
16 slightly elevated basket on side hill
18 Josh Anton with 3rd straight putt with his bag on his shoulder.

Ahhh, so hole #18 was not really a change; just something they talked about and I noticed.

All these early season golf course tourneys are dumb. At least they get most of that junk out of the way early.

I wonder what the cell service there is like, lol. They already got a decent field growing this year.:thmbup:

Calvin
Dickerson
JohnE
MJ
Brinster

Hannah is signed up so maybe Paul plays if he's out of the boot?

Too bad Simon isn't going this year. I was hoping he would make that putt for eagle this time:D

The problem this year is, its sandwiched between Waco and Texas States. So there probably won't be too many making the trek to Florida with 2 Texas event in 3 week span.

I wonder what the cell service there is like, lol. They already got a decent field growing this year.:thmbup:

The problem this year is, its sandwiched between Waco and Texas States. So there probably won't be too many making the trek to Florida with 2 Texas event in 3 week span.

Actually, cell service might be fine at TDTM. The Canyon's more secluded, than remote.

But, yeah, routing with the other events would be an issue. The tour moves west-to-east.

All these early season golf course tourneys are dumb. At least they get most of that junk out of the way early.

I understand the sentiment, but the Memorial is not played on a golf course at all. It's two public park courses.

It is incorrect to suggest that golf course tourneys are "out of the way early". I think what you really are saying is that the tourneys on wide open courses are over early, which might be true. On the Elite Series (NT/DGPT) and Major schedule, the first ball golf course that will be played isn't until April at GBO (1 of 2 courses to be used). That's followed by Masters Cup (1 round), San Francisco Open (1 course), Worlds (1 of 2 courses), and Ledgestone (FPO only) over the course of the summer. Rough count is 5 ball golf courses out of 31 total courses expected to be used for NT, DGPT, and MPO/FPO Majors. That doesn't strike me as too much at all.

I find it interesting that, while the triple mando on #1 was clearly in the wrong place and caused a lot of lay-up/lay-up/putt tactics, hole #1's performance was still in the middle of the pack.

Does that say a lot about the power of penalties, or the poor performance of some of the other holes?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sharpe.png
    Sharpe.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 308
I find it interesting that, while the triple mando on #1 was clearly in the wrong place and caused a lot of lay-up/lay-up/putt tactics, hole #1's performance was still in the middle of the pack.

Does that say a lot about the power of penalties, or the poor performance of some of the other holes?
attachment.php

where should the mando be

where should the mando be

It could be closer to the tee so there is enough of a reward - with a good enough chance of making it - that players are not going to choose to lay up short of the mando.

The basket could also be moved closer to the mando so there would be a good chance of 2 by going for it.

There could be other possibilities. Maybe it's not needed. Maybe it could be one-sided.

I'd want to be on-site with some big arms to pick the final spot.

I like watching disc at Fountain Hills. Great opening hole, the water hazard throughout, usually great weather...

It's far better than the golf course used for the Masters Cup or the Utah Open.

It could be closer to the tee so there is enough of a reward - with a good enough chance of making it - that players are not going to choose to lay up short of the mando.

The basket could also be moved closer to the mando so there would be a good chance of 2 by going for it.

There could be other possibilities. Maybe it's not needed. Maybe it could be one-sided.

I'd want to be on-site with some big arms to pick the final spot.

i was thinking closer to the basket and more at an angle so you would need a flare shot to poke through to get a likely chance at a 2

it seemed like a winthrop esque lazy design

The bike path that defines the right side of the fairway on that hole sees so much traffic that I think the mando is there to try and prevent someone from getting hit with a disc. I think they should lose the mando and move the basket closer to the tree along the water on the left side of the fairway and make it an island hole.

Or they could leave the mando where it is and move the basket back 80 to 100 feet and make the hole sort of a mirror image of hole 18. The mando prevents big hyzers off the tee and it would take two good placement shots to make 3.

The Memorial courses do suck but i think its a great start to the season. Everyone gets some sunshine and to warm up their arms for the season with big throws.

Its more of a competition between the players , rather than a battle against the course.

Very easy for spectators to watch as well.

I thought the PDGA said mandos need to be 20 meters or less to the throwing area. Thats what I was told by a TD of a big event and that they had to get waivers for lots of their mandos (which fwiw were completely off the fairway just to direct safe play after perhaps a really errant drive) Thats the real use of mandatories IMO. Direct play but in a way that they should not be in play for most throws. I.e. so much out of the way that a throw that misses one is abysmally bad to begin with.

Personally I really really dislike mandos that are like a skill test: hit this or get a +1 in score. Especially if you can concievably miss it several times in a row. We are not putt putt golf. Some designers are all over mandos. When I see the first quadruple mando I may throw up. Dont get me wrong: Ilove tunnel shots but they ought to be natural. Kinda like tunnel shots but with OB in the schule too. Doubly punitive.

Yea... I think they should get rid of the clown's mouth at USDGC and make a 15-20ft diameter island with maybe a short narrow runway leading up to the basket instead... They already don't get ratings for that event so what the hell, right?