• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Great Lakes Open

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
Great Lakes Open season is upon us.

Here are some thoughts I had about the changes to the course you'll see this year (and a few thoughts about last year's changes, because I didn't get out there last year).

Yesterday I went out to play Toboggan and was absolutely WOWED by the improvements of the past two years. I already knew that hole 5 looked amazing on video and hole 6 looked challenging. The additional grass thats taken hold has made them both look even BETTER. Hole 5 is no longer the "red carpet" hole - it is a beautiful grassy fairway all the way down. Hole 6 now looks more manicured as well with grass on the early portion of the hole coming in.

And then there are this year's improvements. Rest in Hell Hole #8 (last year 9) - no one will miss your plinko-luckshot approach from the tee to the green. That hole truly sucked - the hyzer attacking the green that smashed the trees early and didn't get lucky was rarely much worse than playing to the opening for the wide open putt up the entrance to the green, so the hole was purely an effort at attacking the green and making a prayer. New hole 9 is a great downhill 460' birdie bid, with foliage protecting the backhand approach hyzering in, requiring precision from the players who attack the easier early part of the flight. Truly great righty forehand throwers will feast on it, but it brings struggles into play with the trees encroaching a bit more earlier on the left side. This was the only hole, I believe, that still isn't in its Great Lakes Open position - which will be at 570. That position appears to provide a LOT more coverage against the backhand, and increases the danger because of the need for more power on the forehand, but overall increases the advantage for the truly great RHFH throwers.

New hole 10 is likewise an INCREDIBLE addition to the course. If you open last year's GLO Final B9 coverage pause at 1:15 imagine a big fair fairway playing straight uphill another 225+ past that basket. That hole is now over 650' and it makes Hole 2's uphill feel like a walk in the park. The hole just goes up... up... up... and its honestly probably still going up right now. When you play this hole you will arrive at the green, putt out, and your mental game will still be climbing the hill for another seven to ten business days. I love it! It is a CHALLENGE, but a fair one!

New Hole 11 keeps the fun going - with a great "touch" shot par 3. I say that with quotations because it is a true pro-level par 3 that requires you to pop the disc, but with all of the downhill and the way it "rides" to the right for most of the hole, at 512 feet it takes all of your angle control to get the disc moving downward. One of my playing partners was so frustrated by the big tree out on the left, he kept bemoaning how easy it would be to get his Teebird on the right angle if it was gone, but I love that. For both the FH and the BH players the trees necessitate throwing a shot that has a fair amount of wing angle change to get to the downward drifting straight finish to the right. The pros, with more power and cleaner releases, will be able to release closer to the final angle than us mortals, but it still will require them to really play angles well.

Additionally I was playing new 15 for the first time. What a hole. I hear that they widened the entrance to the fairway and the early part of the fairway itself, and if so I think it was a great change. Overall this hole is FAR superior to the pairing of old holes 14+15. The birdie is a hell of a challenge, but its so fair and definitely gettable (probably obvious considering at least one pro grabbed it 3 times last year, I believe - Ellis).

2022 DGLO July 29-31

It seems like McBeth doesn't bring his A game unless it's a big event. Is this a big event to him?

Also, it looks like Eagle isn't registered to play. Anyone know why?

Also, it looks like Eagle isn't registered to play. Anyone know why?
Nothing until Worlds... Hm.

It makes me wonder whether he's gone home, or if he's spending any time with the tour.

There's a private course/property with Discmania ties 25 mins from me, about 2 hrs south of Toboggan. I know Eagle has stayed there in the past. Makes me wonder if he's gonna be in town. No hint on his Instagram about where he might be headed. I know Montgomery and Panis will be spending some time there.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141740

Based on Eagle's social media (FB) it seems he is still in Europe travelling in Estonia. I believe in one of his post round interviews he said he had dropped all DGPT events and will only compete at Worlds for now. At this point he is qualified for DGPT finals (32nd) and has a USDGC invite. GMC & MVP Open are invite/limited registration DGPT Playoff events so he could get into those as well but they fall after Worlds.

I am playing in the AM side, and hope to get some good viewing time of the Pros at Toboggan. Having watched the coverage the last few years, I'm excited to see it for real.

I heard Eagle say "see you all at worlds" in his post-victory interview. I assume he's taking it a little slow to avoid re-injury. It's too bad, he's sure fun to watch. It seems like he has had good success there!

After listening to McBeth talk after the EO I got the impression that he would like to take some time off.
But we all know what the D in DGLO means.

I see Nikko is no longer listed to play. Does anyone know if the PDGA told him he couldn't play or if he dropped out on his own. :confused:
I doubt if the PDGA issued their suspension yet.

I see Nikko is no longer listed to play. Does anyone know if the PDGA told him he couldn't play or if he dropped out on his own. :confused:
I doubt if the PDGA issued their suspension yet.

He put out a statement saying he was going to focus on mental health and take some time off. It very much felt like a "I'm getting suspended, I am going to voluntarily take time off for optics" move.

I believe in one of his post round interviews he said he had dropped all DGPT events and will only compete at Worlds for now. At this point he is qualified for DGPT finals (32nd) and has a USDGC invite. GMC & MVP Open are invite/limited registration DGPT Playoff events so he could get into those as well but they fall after Worlds.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2022/07/26/five-questions-for-eagle-mcmahon/

I heard you tell Simon that Worlds was next: any change to that or plans to play before? What does the rest of the year look like for you ideally?

No, no change at all. I have a little over a month, and I'll be in Europe for another week. Send it back to the grind and routine for a few weeks to prepare. I'll be training and seeing my practitioners and doctors. I'm still not at 100%, which is all subjective and I don't even know what 100% is anymore. This is definitely not where I need to be in the future. This week was amazing and I tapped into some amazing frequency but going forward I'd like to have all my tools. My goal is to become even stronger, create more shots, and get back shots that I've lost. My performance, however, did give me a lot of confidence going into Worlds. After that, nothing else until USDGC and that's it. Two more events and I'm calling it good for the year.

Dang, mcrow! With your 20th post in 13 years you have my attention. I'll be following DGLO!

So...he is not at 100%, doesn't have all his shots, and still beat 3rd place by what, 15 strokes? In his first event in 3 months, all while recovering from a shoulder injury?

**shockwaves going thru MPO field**

Man is Paul snakebit in the last year? Loses by one on the holy shot, and loses by one again to perhaps the most gutsy and incredible major tourney ever by a pro...

Worlds is gonna be trip!

So...he is not at 100%, doesn't have all his shots, and still beat 3rd place by what, 15 strokes? In his first event in 3 months, all while recovering from a shoulder injury?

**shockwaves going thru MPO field**

Man is Paul snakebit in the last year? Loses by one on the holy shot, and loses by one again to perhaps the most gutsy and incredible major tourney ever by a pro...

Worlds is gonna be trip!

Yeah, Worlds is going to be Epic. Let's just hope everyone stays healthy we have everyone there.

Great Lakes Open 2022

Tournament has started but i can´t find a tread. .so i made one.

Very Discraft heavy Card for R1 FPO. .

I PM'd Three Putt to see if he would consider merging these before it gets out of hand.