• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

United States Disc Golf Championship 2022

NOStheBOSS

Double Eagle Member
https://usdgc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/USDGC-TEESIGNS-2022-926.pdf

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/55454

Major changes for the course this year. It appears the following changes were made:

2. Shortened to a 409 ft par 3, same green

3. Eliminated, now using old hole 4, same green, different fairway

4. New hole, 304 ft par 3.

8. Appears to use the same fairway, but maybe different tee and basket locations? 697 ft par 4.

13. Now an 818 ft par 4, no parking lot carry, basket is in a grove of trees. I believe the same tee, maybe slightly shifted left.

As far as I can tell, the rest of the course is the same as 2021.

A few observations:
It looks like old 3 tee and old 4 pin have been combined. Lots of hazard and a mando to make it interesting.
And is the "new" hole 4 the same as 2019? Looks like it could be, only 5 feet difference in length and it makes sense in the flow of the course. This iteration only has one mando, I think 2019 had two double mandos.
Hole 5 looks very close to the water, hard to say if its a change.
Hole 8 seems to have been moved forward. Distance looks similar but pin location appears further back now.
Hole 11, hazard is now everywhere! Pretty major change.
Hole 12 has a spot of OB dropped right were a well placed drive might land.
Hold 13, major revision, no more over the parking lot play.
Hole 14, green continues to tighten, its basically at the edge of the bullseye.

1 - unchanged
2 - Shortened basket for both MPO and FPO. Moves basket away from the corner of the road. Reduces congestion and distractions. Moved MPO tee to new location, par 3. FPO tees from rear tee (old MPO tee). New mando.
3 - Safari of old 3 and 4. Construction fence/sinkhole has finally been repaired. Hazards in fairway, mando still in play.
4 - New hole near player warmup area. Same fairway as 2019 hole 3 (or whatever year they made those 2 new holes). Double mando to force the inside line.
5 - unchanged
6 - unchanged
7 - unchanged
8 - unchanged
9 - unchanged
10 - Moved drop zone/FPO tee a little bit forward/left. Or maybe just moved the OB line back. Not sure which.
11 - Hazard everywhere. Lots of changes.
12 - OB pond in middle of fairway.
13 - Tee from top of hill that FPO teed from last year. FPO same tee. MPO farther back. No more island. Basket is on left side of parking lot.
14 - unchanged
15 - unchanged
16 - Minor reconfiguration of hazard line.
17 - unchanged
18 - unchanged

That's a big boo from me regarding hole 13.

Also, hole 11 looks like it belongs in a carnival game and not the US championship. What a monstrosity.

https://usdgc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/USDGC-TEESIGNS-2022-926.pdf

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/55454

Major changes for the course this year. It appears the following changes were made:

2. Shortened to a 409 ft par 3, same green

3. Eliminated, now using old hole 4, same green, different fairway

4. New hole, 304 ft par 3.

8. Appears to use the same fairway, but maybe different tee and basket locations? 697 ft par 4.

13. Now an 818 ft par 4, no parking lot carry, basket is in a grove of trees. I believe the same tee, maybe slightly shifted left.

As far as I can tell, the rest of the course is the same as 2021.
What are the red circles with yellow boxes in the middle? Looking at Hole 2 I thought it was a mandatory indicator, but looking at hole 3 that doesn't appear to be the case.

Also, hole 11 looks like it belongs in a carnival game and not the US championship. What a monstrosity.
Columnist Dave Barry once noted that humor is "a measurement of the extent to which we realize that we are trapped in a world almost totally devoid of reason."

On that note - when I saw the map of hole 11 I definitely could not hold back a chuckle.

What are the red circles with yellow boxes in the middle? Looking at Hole 2 I thought it was a mandatory indicator, but looking at hole 3 that doesn't appear to be the case.
Okay. I'm seeing it now - on hole 17 they directly label that a "Drop Spot." Its weird that they only decided it was appropriate to directly label it on the map as a "Drop Spot" on the last one in the file. I'm seeing in the written descriptions of penalties that those spots are identified, so it all makes sense now.

In generally really nice caddy book design. That last spot being the one they chose to be explicit about is just a lil weird.

what's with the state thing? How did they choose the names for the holes?

And count me in on (or out) on 11. I guess we will see how it plays out.

what's with the state thing? How did they choose the names for the holes?

And count me in on (or out) on 11. I guess we will see how it plays out.

Way back when the USDGC was just getting going they contacted the PDGA State Coordinators about getting holes sponsored in the name of their state. I was the VA Coordinator at the time and got the dough together for the sponsorship for several years until someone else took over the Coordinator position. I am really not sure if I had a choice of which hole or not but am pretty sure Hole 10 has been Virginia ever since.

Way back when the USDGC was just getting going they contacted the PDGA State Coordinators about getting holes sponsored in the name of their state. I was the VA Coordinator at the time and got the dough together for the sponsorship for several years until someone else took over the Coordinator position. I am really not sure if I had a choice of which hole or not but am pretty sure Hole 10 has been Virginia ever since.

Hole 4 was Kentucky for the longest time and now I think Kentucky is hole 2.

thanks for the history lesson. Makes sense now. I didn't notice that last year, but I'm sure it was there.

From a strategic/design standpoint (ignoring aesthetics)

2: I can't quite tell if this is better or worse. I've not stood in that spot on the course. I don't like the mango but I understand it and they need it.
3: I like it a lot. It's a big downhill bomb of a drive. Will be fun to watch. I think the hazard on the left is good, but trees would be even better because they'd allow for a recovery chance. Wait we're at USDGC what am I thinking.
4: idk. It's better than the 2019 version. I'm interested to see how it plays.
8: if they moved it back I love it. Pinching off the landing zone makes for a harder tee shot. And you have to place it well to be able to get right on the approach.
11-12: seems like they want to encourage the big drive. I don't like that decision because it forces the safe shot to be exponentially more accurate, but I get it and it doesn't really matter a ton.
13: I like the green, but this hole was great as 888. Every change I've seen to it over the years has been worse except for making left of the sidewalk in bounds. There strategy required on the old hole was so good.

13: I like the green, but this hole was great as 888. Every change I've seen to it over the years has been worse except for making left of the sidewalk in bounds. There strategy required on the old hole was so good.
Its hard to believe that it has been on the stupid island for much longer than it was 888. I was mildly disappointed, though, when I saw they hadn't gone the "tradition" route and made it an 888 hole again.

They moved it onto the island in the middle of the parking lot in... what.... 2006? 2007? I am almost completely certain I played it as a spectator in 2007 on the island (hoping I'm not experiencing Mandela Effect). And I remember the video of the 2005 final round they played in to the 888 position.

So... Some OB lines and Hazard lines have like stones or boulders on them. I assume these will be on the course also (why else put them on the signage). Help as visual cues? To further randomize results? I mean stakes keep discs inbounds/out of bounds often enough, let alone slabs of stone...

So... Some OB lines and Hazard lines have like stones or boulders on them. I assume these will be on the course also (why else put them on the signage). Help as visual cues? To further randomize results? I mean stakes keep discs inbounds/out of bounds often enough, let alone slabs of stone...

Answered earlier in the thread. It's to make the OB lines a permanent fixture of the course so that it can be played some time other than USDGC.

Not sure if that is supposed to mean the course will be permanent?

Hole 11 design conversation:

"They can throw up the middle, but not that part right there. They can land it to the left, but mostly not there. They can land it to the right, but not over there. They can put it here but not there. They can put it here but not there. They can't put it here. They could put it over there. It's ok to throw here. It's not ok to throw there. Don't land it over here. Land it over there. They can curve it over here. But they can't curve it over there."

Hole 11 design conversation:

"They can throw up the middle, but not that part right there. They can land it to the left, but mostly not there. They can land it to the right, but not over there. They can put it here but not there. They can put it here but not there. They can't put it here. They could put it over there. It's ok to throw here. It's not ok to throw there. Don't land it over here. Land it over there. They can curve it over here. But they can't curve it over there."

"Just park it on your drive. What, you can't park a 734 foot shot? And you think your USDGC Champ material? You scrub."

Latest posts