• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 LWS Open @ Idlewild (Idlewild Open) July 8-10, 2022

InnocentCrook

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Things are ramping up for the upcoming LWS Open at Idlewild (formerly the Idlewild Open) next month.

Following the hub bub on The Cincy Disc Golfers FB page it appears there's going to be some fairly significant course layout changes. I'm pretty excited to see how these play out this year.

If I have it correct, the layout will make the following changes.

DGPT Hole 3 will now play to a completely different green, towards the regular 24 hole layout's hole 4 basket. I'm not even sure what this is going to look like. My guess would be a somewhat "downhill then up" par 4 dogleg.

DGPT hole 4 will play from a previously unused hole's tee, regular layout hole 5 long (pond) tee, to regular layout hole 6's basket on the other side of a second pond. Clearing is currently in progress to create a window from reg. 5's green looking out across the second pond to reg. hole 6's green. This one is going to look awesome on coverage.

From there, play will continue at old DGPT hole 4, now DGPT 5. (Long hole with water along the entire left hand side.

I believe there are other smaller changes coming as well

attachment.php

Attachments

• LWS layout changes.jpg
    LWS layout changes.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 348
Things are ramping up for the upcoming LWS Open at Idlewild (formerly the Idlewild Open) next month.

Following the hub bub on The Cincy Disc Golfers FB page it appears there's going to be some fairly significant course layout changes. I'm pretty excited to see how these play out this year.

DGPT Hole 3 will now play to a completely different green, towards the regular 24 hole layout's hole 4 basket. I'm not even sure what this is going to look like. My guess would be a somewhat "downhill then up" par 4 dogleg.

DGPT hole 4 will play from a previously unused hole's tee, regular layout hole 5 long (pond) tee, to regular layout hole 6's basket on the other side of a second pond. Clearing is currently in progress to create a window from reg. 5's green looking out across the second pond to reg. hole 6's green. This one is going to look awesome on coverage.

From there, play will continue at old DGPT hole 4, now DGPT 5. (Long hole with water along the entire left hand side.

attachment.php

I think the 3 redesign could be water/dampness related. That hole can get soggy at the bottom, even at the teepad area. Takes away a nice ace run though...

That 2nd small pond has always been real nasty, I wonder if they are cleaning that up some...I would NOT want to get a disc out of that they way its been.

So does this mean one of the other holes is being removed? If so, do you know which one?

So does this mean one of the other holes is being removed? If so, do you know which one?

Hole 3 also had that stupid OB drainage ditch that ran straight across in front of the basket.

I don't have access to FB at work, but if memory serves me, DGPT hole 6 is being removed because their isn't enough space at the teebox for all the players/caddies/film crew(s).

I don't have access to FB at work, but if memory serves me, DGPT hole 6 is being removed because their isn't enough space at the teebox for all the players/caddies/film crew(s).

That stinks--that hole was a good separator without needing any OB (if there is OB it must be way out there). Took a really nice roller or incredible air shot to get to circle 1. I hate playing the hole myself but love watching good people play it.

The KY Gap hole (previously DGPT-13) is getting a long pin position to create a better par 4 for the pros. The green will be pushed back and to the right of the creek which will take away the smallest green on the course.

attachment.php

The previously mentioned combo of holes 5 and 6 above is shown in the second photos. I'm convinced it's gonna look gorgeous on film. The second photo is the window starting to take shape. I agree that the pond needs to have the algae taken care of. It looks terrible.

5f79f337.jpg

attachment.php

photo credit: Jason Kerl

Attachments

• KY gap long.jpg
    KY gap long.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 304
  • DGPT 4 2nd pond gap.jpg
    DGPT 4 2nd pond gap.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 301
The KY Gap hole (previously DGPT-13) is getting a long pin position to create a better par 4 for the pros. The green will be pushed back and to the right of the creek which will take away the smallest green on the course.

attachment.php

I think this is a good idea.
Even if the pros hit a huge drive they will have to make an approach shot.
The creek could be brought more into play on the approach as well.

attachment.php
I always thought they should be doing a "safari" layout with hole 3/4. There is even a perfect tree on the right side hill to make a mando so you can't cut the corner near the shelter.

I wonder if will have enough of a gap for roller shots though. It could get quite interesting with the slope...

I always thought they should be doing a "safari" layout with hole 3/4. There is even a perfect tree on the right side hill to make a mando so you can't cut the corner near the shelter.

I wonder if will have enough of a gap for roller shots though. It could get quite interesting with the slope...

i was wondering where ya were

glad to see you back

I am SO excited for this event. I love the transition to "technical" season.

Looks like Ricky is still registered, wonder how he's doing.

Saw Stokely back up to 1000 rated this update-good for him.

Can Smart Line Simon (TM) keep the elbow in the game and continue scorching the earth?

Will McBeast reemerge in rancorous glory?

Will Dickerson casually decimate everyone in a soft-spoken yet indomitable return to the tour?

Will Papa Nate remind kids these days how real disc golf is played?

It must be said too - I miss watching Eagle out there.

Idlewild can't come soon enough.

I'm going to be in the area a week or so after the tourney. Will Idlewild course stay super busy for a while after the tourney? I wanted to play it one morning.

I cant wait for this! Havn't watched a whole round since Waco. Idlewild is here to save the day from the usual ball golf / open snooze courses.

Uh, safari maybe, but the designer of The Diavolo course in Cary, NC is using the name, "Fusion" holes. Taking two Par 3s and combining them into a Par 4 = Fusion Hole.

I guess they yanked all those perfectly good Discatchers for these Veterans? I suppose this was purely due to the sponsorship but curious if it will be temporary. Anybody know the deets here?

Ok thanks. Turns out I'm traveling the last week of July. I am not a tournament player, just wanted to take a stab while in town.

You've got to stop and play there. I'm no tournament player either but Idlewild truly isn't as tough as it seems. I mean sure it's a tough course but the fun factor and the fact that it's absolutely gorgeous helps to balance it all out. I played there on a random Tuesday morning in late October and there were tons of people out playing. But we didn't have any issues at all and it was one of the most memorable rounds I've ever played. I even got a couple of birdies!

Latest posts