• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

United States Disc Golf Championship 2022

Hay bales was 17 tho. Hole 12 had some OB and I think a hazard island in the fairway. Pretty big number for that mundane (by comparison) hole.

I looked it up before posting. Here's a screen shot.

Gotcha. Thanks for that.

Sidebar

The USDGC always draws a lot of fire for course design, rules, and other things like being owned by Innova or being in the same place every year.

I was a spectator on Saturday. I'd been a spectator in some of the first years, too. The scale of the production is astounding; they must have a staff of a hundred devoted to running this event (and who knows how many, earlier, setting up the course and later tearing it down).

Anyone know when the USDGC Final Round coverage will be going up? Not even post-pro stuff... just the upload of the Back 9 of the live coverage.

I left to go throw around the time Anttila took a 3 stroke lead, planning on watching the rest when I got home or before bed.... but the upload for the Back 9 of the live stuff still isn't there.

Anyone know when the USDGC Final Round coverage will be going up? Not even post-pro stuff... just the upload of the Back 9 of the live coverage.

I left to go throw around the time Anttila took a 3 stroke lead, planning on watching the rest when I got home or before bed.... but the upload for the Back 9 of the live stuff still isn't there.

it is there. You may have to refresh or do a search. The app on fire stick does not automatically update for some reason.

it is there. You may have to refresh or do a search. The app on fire stick does not automatically update for some reason.
Nothing. Just did refreshes and searches following seeing your post. I'm not doing it via app - I'm on discgolfnetwork.com and getting nothing. On the search I got content up through the post-Round 3 interviews. On the general menus available I'm getting through Round 2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 10.17.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 10.17.55 AM.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 10.18.12 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 10.18.12 AM.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 13
had to dig around to find it at the website, but it is there.

EDIT: used the BROWSE button at the top, then scroll down and it comes up for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-10 094458.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-10 094458.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 32
had to dig around to find it at the website, but it is there.

EDIT: used the BROWSE button at the top, then scroll down and it comes up for me.
Got it. Its showing up now in spots I looked before. So something wasn't pushing through.

What I can show is the spray pattern for the optimal strategy for 1000-rated players.

attachment.php

The white circles are the model's approximation of the actual Whammy-lands. The X is where the player is aiming. Shifting the aim point around moves the blob and changes its extent.

Fairway hits of around 70%, my assumption is that basically anything inbounds on that hole is a fairway hit.

Didn't seem like many players were trying to throw 450-500ft there. From the live broadcast and practice rounds/skins I saw most targeting just past the standalone middle HZ blob (350-400ft tee shot) or in between the first and second HZ hump on the left (300-350ft tee shot). So a Fairway/Control driver shot for most. Not sure how much different the landing zones were played compared to prior years.

Fairway hits of around 70%, my assumption is that basically anything inbounds on that hole is a fairway hit.

I think that's a good assumption.

It's a par 4, don't they get two chances at hitting the fairway? So 30% misses times two chances would be 60% missed at least once.

I count 184 OB penalties for 384 times the hole was played. That's 48% that went OB.

What's missing from both our numbers is what happened on the first throw vs. other throws. I don't feel like going through each player's stats to count that up.

But, let's say it was 30% OB on the first throw. That indicates players can land more accurately than my model thinks. Which is understandable, since the model was based on throws in a wide open field.

As for the implications for hole design, that's still way too many random penalties. I say random because the optimal strategy to avoid OB is to land right in the middle of the fairway - where the player would want to aim anyway. What's the point of that? Higher scores for the sake of higher scores?

I think that's a good assumption.

It's a par 4, don't they get two chances at hitting the fairway?
https://udisclive.com/about
Fairway Hits
Fairway Hits track a player's accuracy on drives.
Fairway Hit: Landing your drive on the fairway (as defined below).
On a Par 3, the player's 1st throw has to land in Circle 2 (or closer) to count as a fairway hit.
On a Par 4, the player's 1st throw must land in Circle 2 or on the fairway to count as a fairway hit.
The scorekeeper, with guidance from the tournament, decides if a disc is on the fairway. A player would be marked off the fairway when they do not have a clear shot at the basket (e.g. in the woods).
On a par 5, the player's 1st and 2nd throws are included in the stats and must land on the fairway or in Circle 2 to count. On a par 5, a player may have one fairway hit and one miss.

Drive results for the hole can be seen on this page https://udisclive.com/live/usdgc2022/4/11?t=courseStats

Didn't seem like many players were trying to throw 450-500ft there. From the live broadcast and practice rounds/skins I saw most targeting just past the standalone middle HZ blob (350-400ft tee shot) or in between the first and second HZ hump on the left (300-350ft tee shot). So a Fairway/Control driver shot for most. Not sure how much different the landing zones were played compared to prior years.

That would also explain it, and indicate I solved for the wrong optimization.

Wow. Just watched the last 5 holes. And just wow. There are no words to describe the level of play that Gannon hit. And the shots on 18 from both Anttila and Buhr (not to mention Calvin's circus drive) to get into the bullseye. Anttila may have missed a couple of pretty big putts on 14 and 17, but he still showed a hell of a lot of resolve on 18 to come so close to pushing a playoff.

That was incredible.

This year was incredible.

The Pro Tour and the Majors delivered this year. From Gannon Buhr's playoff loss against Gibson to Lizotte finally emerging as a winning force to McBeth's third career World Championship playoff to this.... and we've still got the DGPT Championship for 35K. Incredible. Even the ancillary stuff - the DGPT standings - Ricky and Paul were within a sliver of performance up until the final shots of the MVP Open were thrown.

And thats without even getting into the FPO side where the biggest story, ahead of all others, was pretty much the consistent dominance of Tattar over the deepest field of FPO players we've ever seen (it was nice of her elbow to give everyone else a break mid-season).

I'm really at a loss for words when Gannon starts hitting his putts like he did.

Yes he still takes a fair amount of time, but the stroke looks so haphazard, yet it hits the bullseye.

I'm really at a loss for words when Gannon starts hitting his putts like he did.

Yes he still takes a fair amount of time, but the stroke looks so haphazard, yet it hits the bullseye.

Not as long as just a couple months back though. He has actively worked at speeding up a bit in stark contrast to dg's other well known slow guy.

Latest posts