• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Houston Courses

Hah, I'm here to visit family etc., just trying to fit in some DG while I'm here. Thinking about playing one close to the airport before I head to where I'm staying, looks like Milby Park is the closest.

Not sure which part of Houston I'm staying in yet, its a new place.

Well, a soon to be welcome back then. When are you coming in?

The city is so big, its going to depend on what side of town you are going to be in. IMO most of the upper tier courses in Houston are in the North-Northwest corridor of the city.

First off, you HAVE to play Shawshank. Its a must play. Top 25 in the world. #3 in Texas behind the Selah ccouses. BIG personality(both the course and the owner). About a 90 minute drive from downtown Houston.

Second, Spring Valley is one of my favorite courses. Not super challenging, mostly tight finesse holes, but a really high fun factor. With SV in the N-NW corridor you also have Texas Army Trail, Windwood, and Northside Christian Church and A little farther north is Stone Bridge. All great courses. On the NW side of town there's also Oak Meadows but its private and they're super strict. Of those five I prefer

1. Spring Valley
2. Stone Bridge
3. NS Christian
4. Texas Army Trial
5. Windwood

Then you move to the opposite side of town South-South East and you have Jack Brooks park which is def worth a look. Two courses that are pretty much complete opposites. One wide open one uber wooded. And then with JB you have two relatively new courses Milby - rolling hills with mostly long open holes(but not too open) and Jenkins which is park style with a good mix. Of those four I prefer

1. Jenkins
2. JB - Hills Course
3. Milby
4. JB - Meadows Course

There's nothing on the NE side of town except a private course that they tow cars from. And SW part of town has some decent nine holers - one that just got redesigned into 18 - River Pointe Church - nice course.

I guess I'll be in zip code 77515 and 77566 which is further out from Houston than I expected.

I just got in from Charlotte. Think I'm going to hit up a course or two before heading out to where I'm staying.

JSC, thanks for the detailed info. I'll try to make it to Shawshank while I'm here.

If you make it to the NW side and want to play the private Oak Meadow, let me know. If it is at a time I can meet you out there I can bring guests.

I guess I'll be in zip code 77515 and 77566 which is further out from Houston than I expected.

I just got in from Charlotte. Think I'm going to hit up a course or two before heading out to where I'm staying.

JSC, thanks for the detailed info. I'll try to make it to Shawshank while I'm here.

No problem. LMK if you want to get a round in. I'm on the northwest side.

And theres, a mini on saturday at Shawshank, just FYI.

Well, a soon to be welcome back then. When are you coming in?

The city is so big, its going to depend on what side of town you are going to be in. IMO most of the upper tier courses in Houston are in the North-Northwest corridor of the city.

First off, you HAVE to play Shawshank. Its a must play. Top 25 in the world. #3 in Texas behind the Selah ccouses. BIG personality(both the course and the owner). About a 90 minute drive from downtown Houston.

Second, Spring Valley is one of my favorite courses. Not super challenging, mostly tight finesse holes, but a really high fun factor. With SV in the N-NW corridor you also have Texas Army Trail, Windwood, and Northside Christian Church and A little farther north is Stone Bridge. All great courses. On the NW side of town there's also Oak Meadows but its private and they're super strict. Of those five I prefer

1. Spring Valley
2. Stone Bridge
3. NS Christian
4. Texas Army Trial
5. Windwood

Then you move to the opposite side of town South-South East and you have Jack Brooks park which is def worth a look. Two courses that are pretty much complete opposites. One wide open one uber wooded. And then with JB you have two relatively new courses Milby - rolling hills with mostly long open holes(but not too open) and Jenkins which is park style with a good mix. Of those four I prefer

1. Jenkins
2. JB - Hills Course
3. Milby
4. JB - Meadows Course

There's nothing on the NE side of town except a private course that they tow cars from. And SW part of town has some decent nine holers - one that just got redesigned into 18 - River Pointe Church - nice course.

Exactly... While I would put them in a different order, these are the courses to hit in Houston. My opinion:

1. Shawshank
2. Milby
3. North Side Christian
4. Windwood
5. Spring Valley
6. JB Cedar Hills
7. Jenkins

There's also TC Jester, and north of Houston, but not as far north as Shawshank, there's McDade and Little Egypt. If you happen to be out Saturday, a couple buddies and I will be playing McDade/Little Egypt and stopping at B52 brewery in between.

Enjoy!

EDIT: looking at the ZIP you'll be in, check out Cornerstone Church in Lake Jackson.

I live in 77566 (Lake Jackson). We have a small group of guys that play at Cornerstone every Saturday morning 8 AM tee time weather permitting of course. You are more than welcome to join us if your schedule allows.

Visiting my birth state...

I always thought you looked like a southeast Texan in your videos.

Our old man group played the northwest Houston area (including Shawshank) last year and there is plenty of good disc golf in that area. They might still have green grass down there.

Milby was fun. Reminds me of Arboretum some...fairly long and open with a couple of mature trees to define fairways. Only complaint is the course needs some more turning shots...pretty much every hole was a straight shot.

The last quarter of 2014 has been interesting. Biked up to Ohio and played in cold, rainy, windy weather that peaked in the 40's. Went back to Charlotte and was playing in the 60's wearing shorts and a t shirt. Charlotte is cool enough now to warrant long sleeves some days. Come down to Texas and I'm breaking a sweat in shorts and a T while batting away mosquitos.

Certainly doesn't feel like December to me in either TX or NC. Not that I'm complaining! Love sending my Ohio golf buddies photos of a 100% green DG course this time of year :D

I live in 77566 (Lake Jackson). We have a small group of guys that play at Cornerstone every Saturday morning 8 AM tee time weather permitting of course. You are more than welcome to join us if your schedule allows.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to make it to that.

Why is Dunbar DGC one big billboard for Cornerstone Church DGC? Seriously seen ads for it at four or five holes in a row now, its weird. I get it, there's another course nearby :\

Eff my life! That's my hometown. I would have freakin enjoyed playing with you mike. But, as my name says, I'm a truck driver and I'm not home right now. Did you record your round at Cornerstone? Post that woday on youtube if you did. =D

Nope, no tripod. I would of brought it but my PC is currently down so I can't edit. Still troubleshooting but its looking like a fried mobo or cpu :/

I'll be in Lake Jackson until Tuesday if you want to try to get a round in.

Till Tuesday! Now I'm even more bummed. That's 3 possible days we could have hanged. lol I'm an over the road trucker though. I'm currently in the Chicago area and won't be home til Christmas. What did you shoot at Cornerstone?