• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Beat Up is Too Beat Up?

RebelZero

Par Member
I was just wondering how beat up a disc has to be before the flight characteristics are affected. I don't mean beat up as in "will now fly less stable." I mean when the flight plate and rim are slightly warped and the disc no longer resembles a perfect circle.

I drilled a basket from 180' yesterday with a week-old wizard. It was almost my first ace. However, now my wizard is slightly warped and the rim isn't exactly even all the way around.

Is this just normal wear and tear or will it no longer fly true?

you should throw it and tell us.

Amen. This is the third thread I've read before on something like this. I actually get a kick out of them. The best was the guy who said his disc skipped off a sidewalk, and wanted to know if it's useless. He was too afraid to throw it in case it was. I love that people don't just go take it to a field and test it out.

As far as the title of the thread goes...

I am under the assumption that so long as a disc is legal (i.e. no holes poked through it or other jazz), that it has a use for something. Be it to hold change or to throw off the top of a mountain- every disc has a purpose at any stage of wear.

Yep, only one way to find out.

Chances are you can bend it back a bit. It might fly a bit less stable than before, but it will also be longer and no less predictible. I've never heard of a Wizard being "too beat up."

I'd expect this to happen with your discs and it's nothing to worry about. Flight is what really matters.

There is such a thing as a disc being too beat?

I'd say there is such a thing as a disc being too beat to perform certain shots at certain distances. You can make a completely thrashed 150g DX Stingray hold a hyzer... but not for 300'. But on the other hand, when was the last time you chose your brand new never-been-thrown 180g DX Stingray for a 300' hyzer?

I think most golfers' discs never get truly beat before they get rid of them.

I'd say there is such a thing as a disc being too beat to perform certain shots at certain distances. You can make a completely thrashed 150g DX Stingray hold a hyzer... but not for 300'. But on the other hand, when was the last time you chose your brand new never-been-thrown 180g DX Stingray for a 300' hyzer?

I think most golfers' discs never get truly beat before they get rid of them.

Wait..who said anything about the disc being TOO beat to perform a certain shot? From my understanding, the question is whether a disc can become worn to the point of utter exhaustion, having absolutely no throwing value whatsoever. If this is NOT the case, then a brand new DX Stingray must be too beat to fight a headwind and give me a good hard fade at 360'...

That Wizard is trashed, get rid of it. I'll pay you the cost of shipping it to me so you don't have to look at it anymore...

Last edited:
Wait..who said anything about the disc being TOO beat to perform a certain shot?

My answer implied that I do not think a disc is ever too beat to the point of utter exhaustion. It might be too beat to perform a shot that it could readily perform when it was new but that doesn't make it useless.

Example:
New DX Roc. Straight then healthy fade, fights wind.
Beat DX Roc. Straight then no fade, doesn't fight wind.

Can the beat roc perform the shots it used to? No.
Is the beat Roc useless? No. You just have to use it in a different role.

Some discs will beat to the point of uselesness for anyone with decent power but that doen't mean a 10 year old kid can't use it his first few times out.

yeah, i agree with everyone else, every disc has a purpose at some point. I have a viking I found that I really hate throwing but I keep it in my bag for shots where I might lose a disc. I have a very beaten up Kite that I used to hate but now have seen the value of having an understable mid and use it all the time.

Man I hope a little wear or bend in a disc doesn't make it worthless or I might have just wasted the past 2 hours throwing spike hyzers into a parking lot with 5 different discs. Do you think they will fly okay?

If its all one piece, I dont care how physically beat it is. All I care about is if it still will fly and fly consistantly. Doesnt even matter how stable it is after just as long as I can predict what it wants to do.

I threw them into the parking lot on purpose to beat them up on the advice of mr dan beto. I now have a nicely beat wasp, a flippy focus, a perfectly straight z avenger, a turnover tracker, and a surge that is a roller. They all fly better than they dead before even though they are all pretty nasty looking and beat up.

The advice "go throw it and see" would be very practical were my Wizard not brand new. I had thrown it for exactly one round and had not had any time to get used to how it flew. On the very first tee of round #2 with it, I drilled the basket and put a little warp in it. So I really have no frame of reference as to how it "normally" flies for me.

I've never thrown anything from Gateway, this is my first experience. I've read tons about how much people love their Wizards, new, old and beat all the way up. I was just curious if there were other effects besides the disc losing some stability.