• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can a review of a course be so far off and still be allowed

docsmock

I have this dilemma Some person who apparently doesn't know anything about dg wrote a review that is so far off base about a course in nh it was like he wasn't even reviewing that course. I have been trying to get it removed. Maybe you can't have them removed.The person refers to fly 18 rubber tees.As tees that are rubber at best. Maybe someone else would like to check out his review. It is Top O The Hill DGC In Canterbury nh. Without playing the course personaly it is impossible to say but it is so far off. the course doesn't deserve this kind of attitude. I know when people work hard to make a great course spend lots of money then get slammed with whatever it is he was trying to do is just not right

Every course has reviews that are way off the norm. But in some ways that's a good thing. Everyone gets their chance to voice an opinion. As more people review a course, one individual review will carry less and less weight in the average.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion......just the way it is.....somebody ranked Brushy Creek (a 9 hole course) higher than the new $300,000 18 hole championship course in Austin.

I agree that it is a bummer but some folks just got beef.

I read the review. Although I have never played the course so I can't really speak to how accurate the rating or review was, he did give an explanation to his rating and why he felt like the course wasn't "up to par" so I'm inclined to say the review was ok.

Is it a "one disc" course, probably not, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If everyone takes reviews/opinions to heart (or as a commentary for how their work should be judged) there will be a lot of hurt feelings.

I don't think it's such a big deal, if you know the course is good and you play there and enjoy it then keep playing. Use this as fuel to make the course better and keep improving it is what I say.

Did you read it Brad.You play here

Yes I read it. While I don't share his opinions, he did make some valid points, although didn't communicate them particularly well. It's not for me, or anyone else for that matter, to say what the rating "should" be. The reviews will average out to give a consensus. Some will be bad while others may be overly inflated. But in the end, averages win out. There is great value in seeing a diverse set of opinions.

Most people will see that one bad review and realize it's someone that just had a beef. If the majority of reviews say good things, they will realize that it is not a bad course.

I've never played this course so I cannot comment on the accuracy of any of the comments, but I will tell you one thing, I read the 5 most recent reviews and the one in question was the best written and had the most meat of any of them. It certainly wasn't a "I hate this course. Tight fairway, bad tees, bad baskets, lots of bugs." and I think the rating was adequately supported.

I hope it's not removed just because somebody disagrees with it.

theres a bunch of suspicious reviews on that course

what if he is right? I doubt its a 1 disc rated but he was probably trying to bring the rating in line....some people play rating god do that for some reason

Thought this was about the 1/2-disc review of Blueberry!...which still didn't knock it outta the top.

And I see Granite (my fave Highbridge course) is back in the running?

I have this dilemma Some person who apparently doesn't know anything about dg wrote a review that is so far off base about a course in nh it was like he wasn't even reviewing that course. I have been trying to get it removed. Maybe you can't have them removed.The person refers to fly 18 rubber tees.As tees that are rubber at best. Maybe someone else would like to check out his review. It is Top O The Hill DGC In Canterbury nh. Without playing the course personaly it is impossible to say but it is so far off. the course doesn't deserve this kind of attitude. I know when people work hard to make a great course spend lots of money then get slammed with whatever it is he was trying to do is just not right

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=785386&postcount=40

From your post history it looks like it's your course you don't like the review on. It hurts when someone doesn't like something you put time and effort into it, but to get better you have to take the criticism as input and try to grow and improve from it. Posting this as you did seems a little disingenuous.

Perhaps something that might reduce the punitive reviews is if only those who supply their full name may post reviews? Seems like the vindictive reviews are done by people "embarrassed" to supply their name.

Unless we require SS number I could say I was Gob Bluth. Like my dad likeS to say it is like having a tiny lock on something. It will just keep the honest people honest.

This looks like it was a drive-by review - guy creates an account to bash a course, then isn't heard from again. I do think there is more merit to disallowing these types of reviews because they're usually one extreme or the other, usually of the low-balling rating variety.

This issue has been discussed since the beginning of the site, and different ideas have been floated about to prevent these types of reviews. I think the furthest it ever got was to keep a person from writing a review for a couple of days after creating an account. The idea being that if someone just wanted to sign on to rip a course, chances were they would either be too lazy, or have cooled down, three days later to actually rip a course. It's kind of like the waiting period to buy a gun.

A mathematical tact to midicate this would be to automatically drop the best and worst 5% of ratings, and only use the other 90% to compute the score.

I think you have the right idea drop the highest and drop the lowest review just to keep the vindictive or over inflated reviews in check. Great Idea! Who follows through on these matters?

A mathematical tact to midicate this would be to automatically drop the best and worst 5% of ratings, and only use the other 90% to compute the score.

This has been discussed on numerous occasions, and is usually heavily supported. It does eliminate the angry/crazy reviews (we call these the Redneck Machismo reviews), that are far off base.

All reviews should be listed, but, as you said, not all ratings should be included.

Review Deletions can happen!

There is a way to get "bad" reviews removed, as I had one of mine removed for Camden Park II in Milan, Illinois.

I played it when it was just put it and it was exteremely rough going through thick woods and wasn't cleared out fully as it was a brand new course. I gave it 1/5 because you needed a spotter on every throw, let alone every hole, and it was very difficult to navigate each hole, let alone the whole course! It was so bad my friends and I couldn't even play the full 18! We all agreed it was the worse course we had ever played, although we agreed that once it was broken it a bit more we would give it another shot.

I feel I write legit reviews and of course I got like 20 "thumbs down" on this course within the first week, mostly by the designers and designers' friends I am assuming. I was even contacted by one of the designers via PM and he pleaded with me to update my review because it was "ruining" the overall rating of the course. I told him why I felt justified in giving it 1/5 and that while I wasn't going to change my review "just because", I promised that I would play it again when I was in the area, and rewrite my review once replayed. Well I guess that wasn't good enough for him as we PMed back and forth and eventually I just stopped responding as he was clearly not hearing my resasoning. I thought my review was fair and the language I used was neutral.

Anyway, I signed on about a month ago to write a review of a course down in Ohio and saw that my review of Camden II was gone with no explanation from anyone! I guess I can't really complain since it got rid of all my thumbs-down ratings, but the funny part is because of the PM convos I really made it a point to try and get back out to Illinois to replay it, and I am going in like two weeks! I still am planning to go in with an open mind, but it's weird that my review just disappeared like that.

So, bottom line: it's possible to get rid of an "errant" review. I just have no idea how to accomplish that. You'll have to ask the designers of Camden II.

can we get a link? I just looked for the review and I think it has been removed.

Let everything in, let everything count. Any attempt to meddle with it will reduce the accuracy and amount of information (I suspect there is a better statistic to use than Average to assign a single number, but if there is, it wouldn't be much better.)

The reason to let everything in is that there is no outside or objective authority to measure the correctness of any particular review or rating.

In terms of outliers, that .5 rating of Blueberry Hill is farther from the average of other ratings (4.79). Also, the ratings of Blueberry Hill have been far more consistent; a ratings spread of just 2.21 for Blueberry Hill, vs 4.11 for Top o the Hill (before the review in question).

See the Widest review range? thread.
highlight=ratings

What reviews would you throw out of Tidal Creek @ West Ashley Park? That course seems to present such a wide variety of experiences that the range of ratings is the most important thing to learn about that course.

If a course inspires an occasional outlier, that in itself tells us something about the course. Perhaps only that you may run into a hater there.

But who knows, perhaps Highbridge has secretly been taken over by evil real estate developers who are trying to get rid of disc golfers so they can build condos, and this review is the first clue we're getting?

I had several of my reviews removed, high and low ratings, because they did not fit the trend. The low review I gave was of a stupid tight wooded course which has high marks from the course designers and their buddies. And its funny because you can see some of the same guys slamming other courses for being tight and wooded, but not this one. It just goes to show you there's alot of dishonesty out there, and when someone has an opposing opinion its assumed someone has a personal issue or something.

The problem with putting your real name, especially if you are top player in the area or a sponsored pro, you will not be able to be honest about courses you dont like. Anything negative will get the locals very angry, so the alternative is to not say anything at all, but thats not what the rating system is about is it?

Latest posts