• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can I get 30 more feet?

joshmo65

Eagle Member
I took my first video of myself back in January and noticed that I didn't really do an X step. I just pretty much brought my back foot even with the front. I was hoping that it was just due to playing in the snow, but I am not sure I have changed that playing in better conditions.

I have taken videos a couple of other times now and have posted them all below. I can generally throw around 375' and max out around 400', but would really love to get another 30-50' in order to park some holes that seem to be just out of range. So... any advice would be great.

Apologies on the cell phone vids. I really gotta remember to bring my camera out for videos.

I also slowed all the videos down to 1/4 speed if anyone wanted to see them slower. Thanks again!

it looks like your pivoting on your toe instead of your heel..idk if thatll get you your extra 30-50 ft. But thats all i see. im no expert tho.

You may have to take a few steps back first and make some fundamental throwing concept changes. Your backswing is all arm collapsing against the chest(no hip/shoulder turn), so you can't pull through in a straight line and get elbow chop/wrist extension. I can tell you are trying to spin the disc from where your hand grips instead of trying to throw it like a hammer or stick. It's basically strong arming. You need to get more backwards/closed like a golf backswing and learn to throw the disc more like a hammer. There's a multitude of vids and threads in the sticky and analysis threads here and DGR that will help.

Sidewinder is right, your pull through is not a straight line. Work without the disc concentrating on making your feet set up your hips to do a running lawn mower pull. Reach back a little farther and a bit lower. Getting that straight line tug by getting better core rotation will add 30 feet to your drive in no time. This is an excellent two camera slo mo of Avery Jenkins unloading one. Watch his footwork, 180 degree hip rotation and straight pull through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

Another way to make the same point: if you can turn your shoulders and hips farther away from your target on reachback, and let the pull flow up from your lower body and hips through your shoulder, then elbow, then wrist, you won't have to use so much arm. It might not get your max drives past 400', but it's likely to, and it will probably help with your control and reduce wear and tear on your body. Imagine swinging a golf club or hitting a baseball with mostly arms, versus getting your whole body into the swing.

Another thing you can try is the new Innova Blizzard discs in the 150g weight range.

At least regarding the Blizzard Destroyer, not getting more distance after testing a 150g than my AJ 170g Star Destroyer. The Blizzard is at least one step more stable and landing maybe 25 feet shorter on average in similar conditions.

At least regarding the Blizzard Destroyer, not getting more distance after testing a 150g than my AJ 170g Star Destroyer. The Blizzard is at least one step more stable and landing maybe 25 feet shorter on average in similar conditions.

Are you using one of the super-domey blizzard destroyers or one that looks like it's molded normally? Several of us, including me, have seen some of the blizzard destroyers (that mold specifically) turn out with a huge, fat, oddly shaped dome. But I bought a Boss instead, so I can't speak to how it may differ.

easiest way to get 30 more ft is to just tee off 30' ahead of the tee box..

but serious...there has to be something on this webpage somewhere that talks about coiling and "uncoiling" i am going to make up that term incase it has not been said yet...i have seen quite a few people doing this lately...it will automatically put your weight backwards, so you will be fighting that....dont coil up before you throw...keep your shoulders parrallel to the tee box until you start your reach back, and keep your eye on the target long as possible.

Last edited:
The Blizzard Destroyer didn't seem more domey but I'll have to look closer. I got a Blizzard Wraith to check out also but didn't throw it yet. They were both tourney CFR discs and not necessarily from a regular production run.

One thing I noticed right off was that you never take your eyes away from the target. This seems good at first, but it is actually limiting your reach back and is causing you to use your arm to turn your hips instead of the other way around. AKA strong-arming. Looking away from your target allows you to turn your hips more and, if you use your hips correctly, get more arm speed and snap. Like a slingshot, really. Avery looks away, it doesn't have to be much, but it really helps. Essentially, your head is getting in the way of your arm.

Thanks for all of the comments. It is funny how you can watch yourself and think everything is going perfect, but someone else catches something right away. I will get out tomorrow and try to pull through a straight line. It seems like everyone is saying something similar and the videos Sidewinder posted make sense, so I will try to incorporate those.

I have always been hit or miss from a standstill, so I think trying those drills from the standstill should help my form overall. I will post some updates in the future. Thanks again to all.

One thing you may try-- in order to over-emphasize the body rotation-- is to start with your back toward your goal, and right arm out chest high. Take a direct step backward with your left foot, and then rotate through and throw.

I've found this helps people become comfortable with looking away from the target and getting their power from hips rather than arm.

Then incorporate what you learned into your normal x-step approach and you may find distance easier to come by.

In the past 2 months, I thought that I was working on this, but when I took new video and compared it to the old, I found I was doing the exact same thing. So, last week I decided to try something completely new and hopefully it is more on the right path.

From the comments here and in other threads, I have tried to not collapse my arm against my chest in my reach back by holding the disc out. I look back at my disc on the reach back to take my eyes off the target and get some more rotation and I pivot on my heel. Hopefully I am on the right track.

I don't seem to have lost any distance with throwing it this way, but I haven't gained any either. From looking at the vids, I think I may be throwing it a little too nose up. Hopefully this will work it out with more practice if this is on the right path.

Two problems I have had though, is that every once in a while, when my plant foot hits the ground on the heel, something in the back of my knee pops. It hurts, but it is nothing to cripple me. Perhaps I need to land on my ball first and rotate to the heel? Second, is that I now have a very sore upper/middle back. What am I doing wrong to get this?

Thanks again for taking the time to look at the vids and giving any criticism :thmbup:

Need to use your weight, core, and feet properly. High reach back and scooping pull line is air bouncing it nose up. Reachback lower, get more over the disc with your head/chest and pull through with the core like a lawn mower. Your back is sore because you are strong arming it, and your knee issue is most likely from not shifting your weight from behind you. Check out those vids above again for proper weight shift and the closed shoulder drill.

Need to use your weight, core, and feet properly. High reach back and scooping pull line is air bouncing it nose up. Reachback lower, get more over the disc with your head/chest and pull through with the core like a lawn mower. Your back is sore because you are strong arming it, and your knee issue is most likely from not shifting your weight from behind you. Check out those vids above again for proper weight shift and the closed shoulder drill.

Uhg. You're right. When I throw from the standstill, I still spin around instead of snapping it like Brad says not to do. I'll hit up the field again today and see if I can't fix that. Thanks again for taking the time to look.

throw it harder

:cool:

You know, I really hate your avatar, because every time I see it, I am reminded of work.

westinghouse.gif

What is it for?

Be careful with that knee, man. You may have a structural problem in your knee as much as a form problem. Have you ever had any knee trouble in the past?

Be careful with that knee, man. You may have a structural problem in your knee as much as a form problem. Have you ever had any knee trouble in the past?

Nope. No trouble in the past. I wonder if I might be coming down too hard on it, or trying to pivot about the heel and the heel just sticks which would torque the knee.

Latest posts