• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did I do dat?

upfromtheashes

Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I was out in the field practicing the other day, and I saw a disc do something that I have never seen in my life.

Wind: calm
Disc: 164g CE Valk, seasoned.

Normally, I throw this disc (RHBH) hyzer-flip on a low line, and it flips up to flat and flies pretty straight through it's whole flight. Not much side-to-side movement either way.

However, the other day I tossed it one time where it flipped to flat, flew dead straight for about 320'-330', and then "faded" hard...TO THE RIGHT!. I'm talking like 30' of movement to the right in only 30' of forward movement. This wasn't high speed turn, this happened during the low-speed tail end of it's flight.

How did this "reverse fade" happen? I haven't been able to do it again, but I'd certainly like to know what made it happen. A shot like that could come in handy on occasion.

Hey garublador. Can the same shot also happen if the thrower gets a huge amount of torque? I'm not saying that's the case here but I recall reading that Rico throws a similar shot. The huge amount of gyroscopic force keeps the disc flat and only when the spin slows down can the disc begin to turn over.

Would an OAT roll curve fly arrow straight for 320' before having any sideways movement? I thought OAT normally shows in the way of more turn. This throw had no turn at all.

Side note: Mods, I meant to post this in the technique forum, not the equipment forum, please move the thread if possible.

Hey garublador. Can the same shot also happen if the thrower gets a huge amount of torque? I'm not saying that's the case here but I recall reading that Rico throws a similar shot. The huge amount of gyroscopic force keeps the disc flat and only when the spin slows down can the disc begin to turn over.
Yeah it can happen, I find it's usually not that pronounced. What I find happens is that when the disc would normally fade it ends up turning slightly and just keeps going instead. It might have also gained more height than normal if it turned because of power.

It's possible that it was because of a particularly good hit, but it will be difficult to prove unless he's able to reproduce that hit. It's a lot more likely that he'll be able to reproduce the OAT if he wants that flight again.

I've had something similar happen with a beat pro katana, but I wouldn't say it was "dead straight". It certainly went a long way, finished right, and started at vertical hyzer.

Would an OAT roll curve fly arrow straight for 320' before having any sideways movement? I thought OAT normally shows in the way of more turn. This throw had no turn at all.
It's still turn, it's just really late. It usually shows up earlier becasue people usually have a lot more OAT. This type of shot wouldn't require much OAT at all especially if the disc was beat, which would also make this shot easier to perform.

It can be done without OAT, like zenbot said as the spin slows down the speed is still there and it turns. It's a lot easier to do these shots with putters and mids imo, the distance until it turns is just less.

So I take it that during the high speed portion of the flight, either the spin or the velocity is "overcoming" the OAT? And then as the speed and/or spin rate slows, the OAT takes over? Something like that?
I'll defer to someone who knows this type of physics better than I do, but the OAT "overcoming" the angular momentum provided by the spin is my understanding of how it works, too.

I have done similar before by strong arming a Comet. not near as far as described here but I always described it as a reverse fade. Didn't know there was so much info out there about it.

I threw this same shot the other day unintentionally. Was trying for a hyzer-flip, missed my line. I was throwing a havoc, went left pretty hard to start, then flipped up and sailed back right. I should mention that I was about 600 ft above the hole for this throw. I did this same shot a couple of holes later, but the success was not as nice.

This is how I think it works.

OAT slows down the spin but not the velocity. Since it had such a quick slowdown of spin at the beginning, as the flight takes place both the forward velocity and spin velocity are slowing down.

Turn is based on an inversely proportional fraction, velocity/spin. As velocity is higher, it turns more, or as spin is lower, it turns more.

If the throw starts at 60 mph velocity, 40 mph spin (random numbers I threw out), then the ratio is 60/40 or 3/2. If during the flight, friction drops 20 mph off each, the disc is now at 40/20, or 2/1. Higher velocity to spin ratio dictates it turns.

Spin and snap don't flip over a disc. It stabilizes it.

Okay Tri....let me understand this right....all this time that I purposely put snap on a disc....and the disc turns over as a result......

what dimension are you playing in? For the newer players out the^^^^Trifusal is giving bad advice, and is probably just trollin....nice try TRI