• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did I do dat?

I perform this shot all the time and I would even argue that you should not, if at all possible, introduce OAT into your game just to perform this shot. As long as the disc is under-stable enough you should be able to make the disc fade right (LHBH) with a clean release (no OAT) from a hyzer angle. I use an Avenger SS, seasoned Sidewinder, or Meteor for this shot and there are plenty of other discs that will perform on this line that I don't currently use. I'd say, if you can't perform it with the current disc you're attempting it with because it's too fast or over-stable, then practice it with a lower-speed, under-stable disc (Fuse, Meteor, Diamond, etc.) until you're successful at hitting it every time. Only then switch back to higher speed plastic.

Once you add OAT to your game sometimes it can be hard to 'turn it off' when you want a clean release (especially under the pressure of a competition)!

Last edited:
I perform this shot all the time and I would even argue that you should not, if at all possible, introduce OAT into your game just to perform this shot. As long as the disc is under-stable enough you should be able to make the disc fade right (LHBH) with a clean release (no OAT) from a hyzer angle. I use an Avenger SS, seasoned Sidewinder, or Meteor for this shot and there are plenty of other discs that will perform on this line that I don't currently use. I'd say, if you can't perform it with the current disc you're attempting it with because it's too fast or over-stable, then practice it with a lower-speed, under-stable disc (Fuse, Meteor, Diamond, etc.) until you're successful at hitting it every time.

Once you add OAT to your game sometimes it can be hard to 'turn it off' when you want a clean release (especially under the pressure of a competition)!

He is throwing RHBH, though, not LHBH.

Okay Tri....let me understand this right....all this time that I purposely put snap on a disc....and the disc turns over as a result......

what dimension are you playing in? For the newer players out the^^^^Trifusal is giving bad advice, and is probably just trollin....nice try TRI

Speed turns over a disc.

More speed and less spin will turn the disc over. My guess is when you are trying to "snap" your disc, you are adding more speed than you are spin, which turns the disc.

who wants to give me some info on the best way to learn a roll curve?

Speed turns over a disc.

More speed and less spin will turn the disc over. My guess is when you are trying to "snap" your disc, you are adding more speed than you are spin, which turns the disc.

who wants to give me some info on the best way to learn a roll curve?

It's actually going to be harder to do it with slower discs if you have oat, because they will want to turn over on the high speed portion of the flight.

Find something slow and stable, I use an X Buzzz, beat wizard, or even a torqued over comet. Something with minimal LSS, but enough HSS to hold a line. If you have clean form then it needs to be something that you can turn over normally if thrown flat, but is still stable enough that it'll hold it's stability on a hyzer flip. The trick is to mess around with the hyzer angle and height of the throw while maintaining nose down the entire flight.

It's actually much like throwing distance lines, keeping the nose down through the apex so that it as it turns, it doesn't lose as much velocity.

lol.....well played. When I threw that shot, everyone in my group commented on how gay it flew. My response was that it had to be due to the lack of air moisture.

It must be even gayer showing up to a course outside the desert and asking other players what those weird shaped things are that stopped your disc...to save you the embarrassment, they are called trees. They actually hold moisture so you will have less gayness to worry about.

It sounds like OAT to me. You just described a "roll curve." It can be a really handy shot when you do it on purpose.

this shot is definitely very difficult to repeat on demand but man has it saved some strokes when done properly. never new what the term for it was tho, thanks

this shot is definitely very difficult to repeat on demand but man has it saved some strokes when done properly. never new what the term for it was tho, thanks

Although, the big secret among Pros is that once you've dialed in the disc and the form required for the shot it's extremely consistent and easily repeatable (shhhh, don't tell anybody!). That's why many Pro's will throw a hyzer-flip for tunnel shots and whether the disc need to fade right, left or just drop straight down at the end of the flight, just comes down to disc selection.

It must be even gayer showing up to a course outside the desert and asking other players what those weird shaped things are that stopped your disc...to save you the embarrassment, they are called trees. They actually hold moisture so you will have less gayness to worry about.

Good to know. Now I won't look like as big an idiot at the Tobboggan.

It's actually going to be harder to do it with slower discs if you have oat, because they will want to turn over on the high speed portion of the flight.

Find something slow and stable, I use an X Buzzz, beat wizard, or even a torqued over comet. Something with minimal LSS, but enough HSS to hold a line. If you have clean form then it needs to be something that you can turn over normally if thrown flat, but is still stable enough that it'll hold it's stability on a hyzer flip. The trick is to mess around with the hyzer angle and height of the throw while maintaining nose down the entire flight.

It's actually much like throwing distance lines, keeping the nose down through the apex so that it as it turns, it doesn't lose as much velocity.

alright, thanks

No OAT required. I can release a seasoned DX XD or Coyote flat and they will fly straight until they slow down and fade to the right (RHBH). Great for upshots or short treed holes, like Coyote in Cedar Hill.

as i understand...
You threw a hyzerflip that ended as a turned over ("flipped") disc instead of the regular hooking end ("fade").

roll flip.

From my understanding, all you did was throw a hyzerflip whereas (either) the snap or the wind kept the disc upright before it finally flipped. Same "flipped" disc, just a flat flight pattern in the middle portion of the disc. I'm not super advanced, but i can only do that into headwinds, or with overtorqued overstable discs.

Basically, the hyzerflip helps compensate for the turned over disc, but eventually, the disc follows it's tendency (for that throw) and flips over. one to two degrees more hyzered (on the release) and it would have ended with a straight line or a regular hooking line.
* someone hath discovered an advanced form of hyzerflipping, that tends to appear (for me) only in certain wind situations. I'm good, just not pro.

I prefer to make a shot like this instead of throwing FH. Vary the amount of hyzer to control how far the disc travels before turning right. I do this with my beat up discs like aviar, buzzz, teebird, and valk.

Something about the description doesn't scream OAT to me...

Did the disc actually turn over at the end, or did it slide to the right? There is a big difference between turn and slide. Slide happens when you have a perfectly flat flight and the speed isn't enough to overcome the spin, so instead of turning it simply slides through the air to the right (rhbh). It can be dramatic and unexpected. Usually it happens when you throw a hyzer flip and the flip evens out the flight plate to flat near the end of the flight. Not an easy thing to create on purpose because a hair more flip and you get into turn territory instead of slide.

Something about the description doesn't scream OAT to me...

Did the disc actually turn over at the end, or did it slide to the right? There is a big difference between turn and slide. Slide happens when you have a perfectly flat flight and the speed isn't enough to overcome the spin, so instead of turning it simply slides through the air to the right (rhbh). It can be dramatic and unexpected. Usually it happens when you throw a hyzer flip and the flip evens out the flight plate to flat near the end of the flight. Not an easy thing to create on purpose because a hair more flip and you get into turn territory instead of slide.

It was definitely dramatic and unexpected. If it was, in fact, turn....then it was MAJOR turn, and way late in the flight. It went like this:
Rip
Flip to flat
Straight
Straight
Straight
Straight
Meathook to the right.

It may also be worth noting that it appeared to "stall" or something at the exact moment where it began moving right. By stall I mean that it REALLY slowed down in a hurry. When I normally hyzer flip this particular disc, it finishes straight (fades forward basically) and goes about 375-400' on a low straight line. This throw only went about 350' after being knocked down by this right-fade/turn/slide/whatever.

I'm going with wind gust. At 350' OAT will be diminished, and that "stall" you describe indicates wind push. Final answer.

I'm going with wind gust. At 350' OAT will be diminished, and that "stall" you describe indicates wind push. Final answer.

I'm going to have to agree with this one. A late rolling hyzer flip sounds a bit different that what the OP saw.

.....or magnets.

This site is whack! and I only take advice from a few on here.

I am not saying that speed wont create turnover. LIKE DUPONT..."we don't make the discs turnover, SNAP just makes your disc turnover better.

by the way...anyone can post an opinion, and push "period", followed by submit.

Throw a turbo putt focused only on moving the disc forward and not spinning it. Then throw on only focusing one spinning it. Tell me which one dives off to the right.

Or you can ask garublador

Latest posts