• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you choose a putter?

I don't think there is any real big thing about putters. Just pick one, get use to it, and use it well. It's more about the guy throwing than the putter.

I have used (in mostly cronological order):

aviar, birdie, magic, wizard, spike, Rhyno, VP, spike, aviar, maniac, woodchuck

Wife has used:

aviar, birdie, voodoo, xd/zone

We have owned:

All of the above +, odyssey putter, rubber putter, U-2, Ridge, S,SS,SSS Wizard, HPP, SSS Magic, HPP, SS Voodoo, Soft summit, focus, soft and flx challenger, banger GT and who know what else.

I bought the innova starter set which came with an aviar. I then lost the aviar and putted with a Shark. Then someone gave me an Aviar. Then someone gave me a 1080 RAdius and I fell in love. I still use the aviar for jump putts

DGR told me, so i listened

DGR told me to use the wizard forever so I did. Recently, I have been branching out and trying all of these crazy putters that are nothing like the wizard like the big bead aviar and the focus. Right now I am using the focus, but I think I will pretty much always use a beaded putter as they are the most consistent in all situations and proven to be the best.

Started with an Aviar P&A, but it always came out floppy, read the great things about the Wizard and how it's beaded.

Went to the local disc store to feel one and instantly fell in love with how it felt in the hand. I looked at all the other gateway discs as well. Wizard is just what feels right to me.

Plus the bead totally eliminated the flop I was getting with the Aviar.

I used, in order as best as I remember:
Aviar P & A - nice finesse putter
Aviar BB, Star - too slippery for putting but nice for driving
Aviar KC Pro - nice flight, mine wasn't grippy enough, bead was a bit bothersome
Aviar JK Pro - nice flight, loved the grip, great for soft landings w/o being floppy
Rhyno - tried Star and gummy, gummy was too floppy, didn't like at all for true putting, but a nice overstable driving putter.
Pig - threw it 12 times...traded
Wizard SS - like for driving, bead never felt comfortable
Magic, SSS and SS - liked this one alot, until putting into headwinds
r-Pro Aviar - may have tried to trade this the same day I tested it
Voodoo, all plastics, SSS-M and Evo, hard and gummy - settled on M/S especially as I switched to push putting - end of search, nice hyzer finish at the basket, keeping me close, great driving putter, hold all lines

After a while, I questioned why I carried as many molds as I did (up to 4 putter molds at once) Once I committed to finding a mold that would cover most of my needs the best, I worked alot on line shaping and my technique.

Last edited:
Went in disc nation, handled a Soft APX, Soft Challenger, Putt'r, Banger-GT, and a few others.. Then picked the one that felt the best.

i have tried a few before meeting the Voodoo. It fits perfectly in my hand, like I don't realy know it is there. The flight pattern is just what I wanted. I have used them exclusively for 9 months or so and wont even consider another putter at this moment.

I don't think there is any real big thing about putters. Just pick one, get use to it, and use it well. It's more about the guy throwing than the putter.

10 meter brick. That's all I'm gonna say. ;)

I bought a bunch of cheap used putters and tried them all for weeks just putting until one just kept going in. Then I went to the Voodoo when it came out and it did even better in a Taster's Choice challenge. ;)

I played a warm up round with a couple of pros and watched them bang in some amazing puts with a Challenger! Being a discraft nut and already using an APX, it was an easy choice for me to make. I LOVE the Challenger!

i have tried a few before meeting the Voodoo. It fits perfectly in my hand, like I don't realy know it is there. The flight pattern is just what I wanted. I have used them exclusively for 9 months or so and wont even consider another putter at this moment.

Bravo! :clap:
My story exactly, except 6 months.