• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discussion - Thoughts on how you choose your putter

I will give you some points for the Spin, that's a great disc. I've got a few proton ones that I just love. However the handfeel is different from the ion despite the shared core, the outside of the rim matters as much as the inside. The spin has that underside bevel where the ion is more rounded. I like the sharper corner on the spin better, it gives me an edge for the inner knuckle of my pointer finger and the way it flies is awesome kind of like an improved magic.

I've tried throwing a few of my ions again and I just don't feel like I have them locked in my hand properly due to the rounded outer rim, it just feels sloppy, yet I'm fairly comfortable with the ohm with a similar outer rim and the squared inner, despite it being a titch larger diameter. For similar hand reasons I dislike the proxy... but love the envy.

So feel and bag wise, its envy, spin, ohm and watt in rotation.

I like my uplinks too but I gotta throw a comet at least occasionally to keep me honest or tune my throw back in. I gotta admit the new Comets have been coming out on the stable side of neutral.

I will give you some points for the Spin, that's a great disc. I've got a few proton ones that I just love. However the handfeel is different from the ion despite the shared core, the outside of the rim matters as much as the inside. The spin has that underside bevel where the ion is more rounded. I like the sharper corner on the spin better, it gives me an edge for the inner knuckle of my pointer finger and the way it flies is awesome kind of like an improved magic.

I've tried throwing a few of my ions again and I just don't feel like I have them locked in my hand properly due to the rounded outer rim, it just feels sloppy, yet I'm fairly comfortable with the ohm with a similar outer rim and the squared inner, despite it being a titch larger diameter. For similar hand reasons I dislike the proxy... but love the envy.

So feel and bag wise, its envy, spin, ohm and watt in rotation.

I like my uplinks too but I gotta throw a comet at least occasionally to keep me honest or tune my throw back in. I gotta admit the new Comets have been coming out on the stable side of neutral.
Points for loving the Ohm.

I went through Envy, Pure, P2, P Model S, and probably a couple others earlier. I liked all of them for one reason or another. It made me realize that for putting I tend to like discs that are either shallow and/or have a lot of "meat" near the rim to work with.

Last winter I found an unmarked Yeti Aviar and immediately liked how the shape of the disc gave me a lot of tactile feedback and leverage points for putts and have used those ever since. So I started to cycle those over the past year. It made me way more aware of little bits of putting technique that matter. They turn into upshot turnover putters once they're beat.

Still like cycling Envys the most as throwers overall. I "cheat" on them sometimes and eventually end up crawling back to them asking for forgiveness.

I went through Envy, Pure, P2, P Model S, and probably a couple others earlier. I liked all of them for one reason or another. It made me realize that for putting I tend to like discs that are either shallow and/or have a lot of "meat" near the rim to work with.

Last winter I found an unmarked Yeti Aviar and immediately liked how the shape of the disc gave me a lot of tactile feedback and leverage points for putts and have used those ever since. So I started to cycle those over the past year. It made me way more aware of little bits of putting technique that matter. They turn into upshot turnover putters once they're beat.

Still like cycling Envys the most as throwers overall. I "cheat" on them sometimes and eventually end up crawling back to them asking for forgiveness.
I tried for 2 weeks to play without an envy. It didn't go well.

Tried a bunch of different putters from Discraft, MVP and DD.

Settled on the Judge. Putted with that in base plastic for a long time before getting the Soft plastic. A really beat in, extra gummy Soft Judge has an excellent feel all year as long as I wipe it nice and clean.

I've tried other beaded putters but if anyone has a recommendation for a beaded, shallow putter that has an extremely soft and gummy plastic, Id give it try.

I mostly throw MVP and Discraft as a Michigander supporter, but would try others.

I tested a ton of them on my property ( 2 1/4+ acres ) and based it solely on which was CTP over a certain amount of throws.

My winner was the ringer gt. I have crazy wind, snow and other random things pop up so the bead + gt top work well for me.

Anything understable will be a pain in wind as well as elevation and I have both.

Also the heavier the better for me when trying to get a disc to stick in the basket on windy days as well.

Tried a bunch of different putters from Discraft, MVP and DD.

Settled on the Judge. Putted with that in base plastic for a long time before getting the Soft plastic. A really beat in, extra gummy Soft Judge has an excellent feel all year as long as I wipe it nice and clean.

I've tried other beaded putters but if anyone has a recommendation for a beaded, shallow putter that has an extremely soft and gummy plastic, Id give it try.

I mostly throw MVP and Discraft as a Michigander supporter, but would try others.
I'd say magnet, but you said "shallow"
But i've never had an issue with magnets out of the hand.

4chains for the win. $$
But those are hard to get. but no putter is better than a 4chains soft magnet.

I tested a ton of them on my property ( 2 1/4+ acres ) and based it solely on which was CTP over a certain amount of throws.

My winner was the ringer gt. I have crazy wind, snow and other random things pop up so the bead + gt top work well for me.

Anything understable will be a pain in wind as well as elevation and I have both.

Also the heavier the better for me when trying to get a disc to stick in the basket on windy days as well.
Ringer GT.
Opinion is now invalid. :p

Ringer GT is an interesting putter.
And in the sense of how you tested them, it aligns more with how I treat putters also. I throw EVERYTHING in my bag, including my putting putters. Some people who just putt with their putting putters are going to have a far different approach to their putter choices.

I was searching for a new putter but didn't know where to start. I have been throwing an Innova Aviar that came in a starter set I got back in 2006 or 2007. I ended up finding videos by six sided discs on you tube. He has two different putter videos. One is about which putters go the furthest, and a second about which putter goes the straightest. None of that matters and is more about feel and the right disc for your putting style. I landed on a Dart for approach, long putts, and short holes; and a Yeti Aviar for circle one putting, both the same weight.

Report/write/discuss whatever.

Your thoughts on how you choose the putting putter you are putting with. If its as simple as "my favorite pro putts with it," put that down.

If there is a lineage of how you got to the putter you use, write about it and your thoughts on why you changed.

What are some important things in a putter you look for for putting?
Outside of 40 ft and on upshot, I'm most likely using CF Zone, Pig, Area 51. Love the zone from a lot of places. Inside of 25 ft, I don't think it really matters, but I use Link, Proxy, Pure. With putters or any disc really, if it looks good, feels good, taste good, etc, I'll throw it!

Latest posts