• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you start playing?

I somehow made it halfway through college without ever hearing about disc golf... then one summer I was in New Mexico for a geology field camp and we were staying at the Sipapu (Sip-a-poo, tee hee) ski lodge near Taos. Well one of the other guys at the camp was big into the sport and was pumped that there was a course based on the mountain right there. So a few of us went to the gift shop in the lodge where they sold discs and I bought myself a Champ Valkyrie and the guy gave us some tips and off we went up and down the mountain huckin plastic...

I was hooked instantly. I had thrown many a frisbees in my day and this game cranked that love up to 11 and hasn't stopped since. I hope that some day I can make it back to the Sipapu Ski Resort and give that course another go now that my skills have improved. It still remains one of my all time favorite courses, it's hard to beat the elevation changes and the way the course utilizes everything the mountain provides, even the creek that flows along the lodge. I feel like I was spoiled with my start in this sport by starting on such an awesome course.

My uncle's both played in the 70's when disc golf first started. When I was about 10 they bought me an innova starter set and 13 years later i'm hooked.

I started this summer, in July. I had tried Disc golf randomly few times before but thanks to my friend inviting me few times for a round I started to like it and shortly became hooked. He lend me his Shark for few weeks and I threw it in my backyard a bit. Then he bought me an Aviar and a Jackal. I've played Disc golf for about 5 months now and it's the greatest sport ever..

I saw an article in the newspaper in 1973. There was a temp course set up in a local park. It used Hula hoops as holes. Because one had to be pretty square with the hoop to hole out, it sucked.

I grew up in Southern California and was at a Boy Scout event in Pasadena's Oak Grove Park in about 1976. One of the activities was frisbee golf and my friends and I played a round. It was fun enough that we even went back a couple of times on our own because it was only about 10 miles from where we lived and we could ride our bikes there. As it turns out, that was the first permanent course ever installed.

Was getting drunk in Santa Cruz a lot, ended up meeting who is now my ex gf there, she lived less than 5 minutes from de la veaga. Played that course hungover on many Saturday/Sundays after her roommate introduced me to the game.

Was hooked from the first time I played. Soon after moved to San Jose and practiced at Hellyer Park~

I had never heard of the game until half way through my 3rd year of college when I was taking a physical education methods class. On the 4th hole I made a 120' flex forehand shot purely by chance. Hooked from that point on!

Got a Dick's GC for my birthday, nothing in there interested me, so I decided to pick up a starter pack.

Memorial Day weekend 2010 some buddies asked if I ever played and took me for my first round. First shot went 100' in front of me and then hyzered hard to the ground. ;) A week later I bought a dx beast and a dx shark. At first I was a little intimidated to go out the park and throw by myself. 3.6 years in and I'm happy to still be playing.

I was running at my home course, saw some people playing and thought it was more intriguing than I had originally thought just from hearing people talk about it. Walked the creek and found a pink Champ Starfire...definitely not the best mold to throw first but the fact that I couldn't throw it straight is actually what made me realize that it was a lot more than just throwing a Frisbee. I was hooked and I have been working at it ever since.

A buddy of mine (a user and enabler) got stood up by his source, offered to share his stash. Been hooked since then.

My nephew was playing and I started to play to be able to spend some time with him. He played for a few years and no longer plays. Now I play with another nephew that I got started in the game.

Last year my son was looking for a large service project to earn his Eagle Scout rank, so he asked a local Kiwanian about possible projects. The Kiwanians built our local course just a year ago, and he suggested planting a bunch of trees to help shape the course. We had no idea what DG was, so the whole family took freebees from the garage and tried a few holes. I was immediately hooked by the experience and the lack of greens fees (which is what prevents me from taking my sons golfing as my dad took me). Now we all have bags and play whenever we can. I go 3 - 5 times weekly when the Nebraska weather allows. (Really bummed that a windy, cold winter has set in early this year.)

BTW, my son earned his Eagle this fall after planting 27 trees on the course. We continue to do volunteer work on the young course to help it develop. In a few more years it will be very nice.

Hmm, everyday I think my memory is getting worse and worse. I was somewhere between 13 and 17 when I first played. I think it was my stepdad who got me into it. I do remember it was at Rotary Park in Huntington, WV and my first discs were all Lightning. The #1 Driver, #2 Slice, #3 Flyer, and Rubber Putter.

Way back in the early 80's my brother and I made up our own course in the yard. Didn't give it too much thought until Christmas 2011 when I told my son it might be fun to play disc golf. He bought me the Innova starter set for a present and I (and he (Buiscutboy on DGCR) have been hooked ever since.

I had heard about frisbee golf when I was a kid, but never actually saw it. I thought it sounded like fun back then, but didn't know where any courses were or anything like that (this was before the internet). Years and years later I got a PS3 for my son with the Move controller/camera setup. It came with a game called Sports Champions. Among the six or seven sports in the game was disc golf. My son, a couple friends, and I started playing the video game version and thought it was fun. That year, at our yearly camping trip, I did some research and found that a disc golf course was right across the street from the campgrounds we were staying at. I thought it would be fun to try disc golfing out for real and picked up a DX set for the trip. My nephews did likewise and we had a blast that trip. After getting back from camping I found that a disc golf golf course had just opened up one town over from where I live. I've been playing pretty much every weekend since and trying to get as many of my friends and family into the sport as possible.

Today's course photo of the day is the 3rd hole I've ever played (on a basket course)! Although I'd played true "Frisbee Golf" since an elementary student in the early '80s, Oxbow Park's course was installed the same year I got a driver's license in 1989.

The first hole I ever played (on a basket course) no longer exists, original #1 at Oxbow. It's overgrown now, and even has some large trees in the middle of it that weren't there in '89...

I started playing in February of this year. I had always played ball golf and love the sport. With two young kids, soccer practice 5 days a week, and the always demanding fatherly duties, I had found it tough to play ball golf because of time and especially because of the price of greens fees. I had heard a few guys at work talking about disc golf and asked them what discs I should go buy. The next day one of my employees brought me 3 discs to try. I went out the next day and had the feeling like what I imagine the first hit of Heroin feels like. Luckily it was tax season and I got my tax return the next week. I went out and bought a bag and all of the highest speed discs I could find. Went back 3 weeks later and bought all low speed discs because I couldn't throw any of the high speed discs!!!!!! I now play 3-7 days a week. I watch tournament videos every night on my Ipad while going to sleep. I revisit the throws I threw earlier in the day, the good ones and what I should have thrown instead of the bad ones. Everyone at work asks why I'm not such a D##k anymore. It has been one of the best things I have ever done. I recommend it to everyone that I know.

Living in Vegas for the first 27ish years of my life was full of racing and gambling, not disc golf, I moved to the DFW area and started working at Medieval Times. One of my co-workers is really into disc and asked if I (and some others) wanted to give it a shot. So we all tried it out, it took me two times to really start to like the sport, once I went into a PIAS store it was all over but the crying! Been playing as much as I can now for the last two months, got a friend of mine into playing as well.

I am so glad that this thread got revived. Great stories. It is crazy to see all the different generations involved and enjoying the game.

Latest posts